SASS Wire Forum

Help wanted! Four rounds failed to fire

SHOOTIN FOX

45 Colt, Old Vaqueros, Shotgun Boogie kits.

Starlne brass, Winchester primers, Promo Powder.

Four rounds from two different revolvers.

Deep dents on all primers.

Pulled bullets and powder and all went bang in my Marlin.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks, 

Fox

Check your rounds to be sure the primers are seated below the case head surface.

Put a #10 AN washer under the hammer spring of each of the Rugers.

Check the Rugers for excessive front to back cyl movement.

Try some factory rounds.......

OLG

22 to 45 outside, colder earlier and everything went bang. we were shooting in a building, so 50 maybe. Four of the five on the revolver went off fine. The failure was in the middle of the string on both. Singles later on next stage. I am thinking the trigger,sear, hammer may be crudded up causing a slow hammer fall. I will look into it tomorrow. I was looking for othe rideas thar someone may have had in the past. All idea are welcome.

Odd that the initial strike left a deep dent in the primer w/o firing it.

If not for that, I'd suspect the primers were not seated deep enough.

In the circumstances, (deep primer strikes) I would be considering they were faulty primers.

Im with Painted Mohawk, I have had Extremely bad luck with Winchester large pistol primers, I have had them fail to fire the first time tru on stock uberti pistols. I have also had a few poor experiences with CCI also. I love the federal primers but have also had really good luck with S&B primers in large and small even with light hammer springs.

Now that you mention it, I recall some pards also having a lot of misfires with Winchester primers.

So many, in fact one of our top shooters only used them for casual practice, not for any matches.

I wonder what the problem was?

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Check your rounds to be sure the primers are seated below the case head surface.

Put a #10 AN washer under the hammer spring of each of the Rugers.

Check the Rugers for excessive front to back cyl movement.

Try some factory rounds.......

OLG

What does the AN designator stand for.      Know I will feel dumb when you tell me.  Thanks    GW

20 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

What does the AN designator stand for.      Know I will feel dumb when you tell me.  Thanks    GW

AN960 flat washers are made of plated steel with smooth, parallel faces

Thanks, was a heavy diesel mechanic for over 40 years and have worked on ag, construction equipment, semi trucks and the inline 8 cylinder 2 stroke diesel monsters that powered Midway Island.    Never heard of  this before.        GW

AN- ARMY-NAVY specification series started in the early 1940s as a means to standardize military items for World War II.  Mostly canceled in the 1950s, a few have survived to only a few years ago, AN3-AN20 bolt is one of the longest lived specs.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

AN- ARMY-NAVY specification series started in the early 1940s as a means to standardize military items for World War II.  Mostly canceled in the 1950s, a few have survived to only a few years ago, AN3-AN20 bolt is one of the longest lived specs.

I learn something new every day! Thx!

I've had problems with Winchester primers in various guns, pistols and rifles. I stay away from them.

There was a period of time, some years ago, that Winchester had problems with FTF.  If it continues, you should contact Winchester with the primer lot numbers and also post them here.  If anyone else has had similar problems, post them here.  If there is a quality problem, the manufacturer and consumer should know.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

AN washers have a harder alloy and a smaller OD than SAE washers have.

OLG

Now that's the answer I was looking for.  Then to find some.    Thanks   GW

16 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Now that's the answer I was looking for.  Then to find some.    Thanks   GW

A hardware store with a good bolt section should have'em.

You want the thick #10 washers in steel alloy or SS.

OLG

Archived