SASS Wire Forum

Scent Of A Woman

Yul Lose

Mrs. Lose likes to invite lots of folks to TG dinner and usually the ones that don’t get along very well with each other or just flat out despise each other don’t accept the invitation or have somewhere else to go. Not this year. As I was climbing into bed tonight she showed me the list of those who are coming to dinner and the probability of a turkey day brawl is the first thing that popped into my mind. So how does one go about massaging the guest list so that the potential fistfight over the wishbone is averted? I’m thinking of calling around to some of their other friends and get them to entice our guests away by serving lobster or something. Any ideas?

I'd say you change the locks and ignore the knocking! Joking aside, i know that TG can be rough on families, mine included. Perhaps, minimize the drinks (usually gets people going) and keeping things on neutral ground? It's a hard one, TG....no one wants to try and keep people from arguing on a holiday. Good luck to you, sir.

Do what I do. Even though everyone are guests I lay down ground rules.

No religious discussion. 

No political discussion.

No (whatever is appropriate)

The first time I did this it p***ed my wife off something fierce. After dinner and the departure of our guests she admitted it was a darn good idea. This process has worked for several Thanksgiving dinners.

All things considered, it is a pleasant surprise that we've never had any heated arguments or exchanges at Thanksgiving at my in-laws. We have some wildly disparate views, beliefs and lifestyles, and a group of wicked intelligent people, but we somehow manage to get along.

Simple, state that this is your house and that you want a drama free TG and that the first person who starts trouble gets kicked out immediately.

Tell them you've decided not to have Thanksgiving dinner and take Mrs. Lose out to a nice restaurant for dinner!

Simple!

Put away all the breakables.

Use lightweight plastic chairs and tables

Use paper or plastic plates and utensils.

Serve food from plastic bowls.

Set up video cameras at strategic locations.

Pour yourself a drink and sit back to watch.

At the end of the evening, edit the video and place it on You Tube or Facebook and count the hits.

HEY, if they're going to be childish and don't know how to behave, you might as well make some money on it.

Yul:

Take Utah Bob's suggestion on your previous thread and put KY Jelly on the doorknobs. ;)

Serve ham instead of turkey so there's no wishbone?:P

Carry a Tazer and pepper spray? 

I like the pepper foam stuff Mace makes.  It's like silly string with bad intentions AND it has a dye in it that makes the target a LOVELY shade of light purple.

We have had 25-30+ at Thanksgiving for decades, mostly family, including siblings, kids, grandkids, cousins, in-laws, etc. We've never had a bad argument, never had anybody get very mad, never even had anyone pout and leave the table. Yet no subjects are, as such, off limits, except perhaps purely personal ones.

It's not that hard. We have a family which for generations has not allowed that kind of stuff, so it never happens. There are many time-honored techniques for defusing this stuff before it gets started. Ultimately, the situation is that anybody would be embarrassed to be the one to break the rules.

Makes for great holiday get-togethers.

Tell them to bring their TOOL BELTS you're doing renos. and their all invited to the work party before Dinner ....

Jabez Cowboy

Have your TG on Wednesday, serve the Thursday people pot pies and luke warm soda. then tell them the rules for next year. Behave or leave  Easy peasy

imis

On 11/9/2018 at 10:38 PM, Yul Lose said:

I’m thinking of calling around to some of their other friends and get them to entice our guests away by serving lobster or something. Any ideas?

How about you get one of those friends to serve steak and lobster, then you and I will go there and let the troublemakers fight at your house. 

I don't see a downside to this plan. 

Id sell tickets to the upcoming fight.  With luck the ticket money will pay for the food, or better yet you turn a profit.

One of the parties found out who else was coming and dropped out this afternoon so things are looking up.

7 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Id sell tickets to the upcoming fight.  With luck the ticket money will pay for the food, or better yet you turn a profit.

Or just say you have video cameras hidden everywhere, worst behavior ends up edited and on social media.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do what I do. Even though everyone are guests I lay down ground rules.

No religious discussion. 

No political discussion.

No (whatever is appropriate)

The first time I did this it p***ed my wife off something fierce. After dinner and the departure of our guests she admitted it was a darn good idea. This process has worked for several Thanksgiving dinners.

Yep-- No discussions allowed on politics, religion, or sexual orientation.  I use the same rules for my crew at work on a daily basis.  Definitely limits the fights and hard feelings associated with them.  The world needs a bit thicker skin most days.

On 11/10/2018 at 12:54 AM, DocWard said:

Thanksgiving at my in-laws. We have some wildly disparate views, beliefs and lifestyles, and a group of wicked intelligent people, but we somehow manage to get along.

That's the key.  Get your Baby Girl (only child) to choose a spouse wisely.  We have been getting together with the in-laws since the (many) children started presenting themselves and feel so blessed in our extended family.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at the last minute one of the parties that wasn’t going to attend showed up and after a little talk everything went fine. 22 people attended and most of the food was eaten, nobody got sick, no fights were started and for some reason three people each brought me a bottle of scotch so it was pretty much like Christmas too.

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The “good stuff”?

Two out of three were, but I’ll manage to choke down the third one, it was made in Japan.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Two out of three were, but I’ll manage to choke down the third one, it was made in Japan.

What brand is the Japanese whisky? I'd read recently that some of them weren't too bad. I haven't tried any personally though.

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My experience is that Japanese Whisky is either kerosene or among the world’s best.

Well, IMHO, it’s neither the best or kerosene. It has an initial taste that I’ve never had in a scotch before. I had another glass last night and one Aberlour and enjoyed the Aberlour much more. 

F8C28CD4-06AC-48CA-8B93-C52735A23031.jpeg

Archived