SASS Wire Forum

WTB 2 SAA’s & Shotgun (Coach, 97, Lever)

Hello y’all,

I am new to CAS/SASS but I am registered and have an ID number with SASS and a club near my home. I am dead set on shooting 45LC and 12GA. I just picked up a like new Uberti 1873 (45LC) Short Rifle 20” for $750 and an hour drive. 

Please let let me know what y’all have or see my friends. I’m looking for a good deal and want to be able to shoot black powder and 45acp in case I want to do classic cowboy or wild bunch. I want to do be eligible for as many classes as possible. 

Also, I didn’t know where to introduce myself to the SASS community. This is my first post and I’d like to say howdy to everyone. I reside in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida. If there is a more appropriate place to post an introduction I would like that. My local club has not even responded to me yet haha. 

Warmly,

George ‘Spades’ Lee III

Welcome to the best game there is. Probably be better to place an intro on the wire, maybe have a mod move it.

Don't buy any more guns until you've been to at least one match; where you'll likely get to fondle a variety of them and might find a deal locally.

Thank you my friend.

Currently all my matches for my club are TBA but I’ve handled my fair share of Ubertis and Vaqueros. Haven’t touched a Birdshead or Bidley grip though. I’m ready to make a move on a nice set if I find them on here. I’ve looked all over Armslist to no avail. I am also familiar with a stoeger side by side 20” however it was hammerless and I kind of wanted to have the hammers for authenticity’s sake. 

I shoot competitive trap & skeet and have shot 3 gun before so I’ve dabbled. But this “game” seems my style. Fun, competitive, historical, get to dress the part, and hangout with like minded folk. Oh and shoot a lot! Haha. I know everyone wants me to go 38/357 for cost savings. 

Well, Johnny Meadows has a hammered double TTN on GunBroker at a great price. Search TTN 1878 hammered double. 

Mudflat Mike posted above and probably has some Ruger and is good guy to do business with.

If you think you want a 97' I have an original that I'd probably sell that's pretty slick and ejects well; just needs a butt pad put on.

@Tyrel Cody how much would you want for that 97 sir? I heard they’re going out of vogue these days but I shoot pump sometimes in 3 gun and trap/skeet so it’d be familiar. I’d also like a good excuse to buy a side by side coach haha. 

Welcome to the game!!!! Have a blast!! Classic is loads of fun. 

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

I'm also in the Tampa Bay area, which clubs are you looking at? Hernando is the first Sunday and the WAC is the 2nd Saturday of the month and both are well attended.

I also have a Winchester 1951 '97 and a stoeger 12 gauge as well as 2 new vaqs in 45 that I'd probably be willing to part with. Send me a pm if you are interested or have any questions for the area.

Welcome to the camp, cowboy!

Like some have already mentioned, find some matches to attend before you buy anything else!

If you decide that a 97 suites you, I have a 20"solid frame, 26", and 32" takedowns that need a new home. 

Take in those local matches that El Cubano just mentioned and enjoy:)

@El Cubano hello sir,

i was looking at the Wyoming Antelope Club but they don’t even have dates as of current. So that means y’all will be shooting today? It said TBA on their site. What times does WAC run through? I am interested, PM’s inbound. 

Thank you. 

I got a pair of Old Model Vaqueros that I'll sell right that I'm getting ready to sell, $825 for the pair. I'll send you a PM, thanks,

I got a pair of Old Model Vaqueros that I'll sell right that I'm getting ready to sell, $825 for the pair. I'll send you a PM, thanks,

Oh, you could shoot Ruskin and Miakka too as they're pretty close. Come to Punta Gorda with us on 3rd Sat and 4th Sun, shouldn't be too far. Have fun!

Welcome to the game.

I have three nice USFA Rodeos for sale, currently on either page 1 or 2 of the classifieds.

--Dawg

• 2 weeks later...

You said you already got your 73 rifle in 45 LC, but if you plan to get into black powder you might want to consider 44-40.

I'm relatively new too, and I don't shot black powder in matches yet, but I've heard 44-40 will seal better than 45 LC, so you'll get less or no fouling in the action (that will make it easier to clean). For the pistols it probably doesn't matter as much except you can shot the same ammo from rifle and pistol for convenience.

Also, you might want to consider something like a 5.5" 1860 army https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/blackpowder-revolvers/1860-army-collection/1860-army-steel-4691.html

You can shoot cap and ball, 45LC, 45ACP, and 22LR (https://shop.kirstkonverter.com) all from the same gun with conversion cylinders. And you can spread your purchases out if you need to. Also, two 1860 armys are about the same price as one cartridge pistol (excluding the conversion cylinders). The main caveat is that they can be more finicky and require some tuning or kitchen table gunsmithing to get them match ready.

Archived