SASS Wire Forum

Re-kindling a old wire debate.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

This thread should be moved to the saloon.

Beans

:)

2 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Nah I don't think so. As opposed to another thread on Remlins or whatever blah blah, a lot of us are hunkering down for the winter. Relax have some fun. 

:rolleyes: Well ain't you special.

I thought this was gonna be about a relevant topic like Mary Anne or Ginger.

At which point I would like to give my usual answer: WHY CHOOSE?

Waimea

Made some  Wednesday beans and ground black bear meat.

5 hours ago, Ethan Cord said:

I had some Louisana gator chili that was pretty good. No beans. It was at a world championship chili contest.

Did it taste like chicken? :lol::lol:

Kajun

4 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I hear tell of folks putting their chilli over rice. 

Me, I like mine with a bit of cornbread.

It goes well on scrambled eggs in the morning.

I was hoping this was going to be about rank points versus total time scoring. I am so disappointed.

:P

NO BEANS!!

Diced beef, strips of venison, diced pork, fine ground masa flour, chopped jalapeño peppers, (NOT PICKLED) chopped red onion, chopped scallions, crushed cayenne, fresh course ground black, white, and pink pepper, placed in a large flat dish, (usually two or three large dishes) marinated in Jack Daniel’s old number 7 for 48 hours.

I have a half dozen varieties of home grown peppers that I dry and crush or grind and another couple that I use whole. I use  some tomato paste and spicy V8 to thin the juices produced when I brown the marinated ingredients. A couple of 16oz beers and some day old coffee are added and the whole thing is slow cooked with a blend of spices that I don’t share with anyone, down to a thick gravy consistency with the meats tender enough to just need an easy chew.

It’s always hot, (SPICY!) enough to bring a tear to your eye, a mild perspiration to the forehead, and a slight sniffle.

Bison, bear, and elk are also used when available.

Rank points or total time have no effect on the flavor or texture of well made chili!!

Ginger AND Mary Anne like good chili!!

Beans are for those who can't afford to use enough meat...  Or don't think enough of you to serve real chili. That's what my Grandmother tol' me... And Lord knows that good lady was too close to a Saint to lie.  She always tol' me to be sure to compliment those that use beans in their chili, as they's doin' their best with what they have... Bless their heart... :P

3 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Did it taste like chicken? :lol::lol:

Kajun

Doesn’t everything? :lol:

"Beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so lets have beans for every meal"

New guy here...I'll eat it either way or any homemade Chili concoction as a matter of fact.  But I grew up in the Republic of Texas and was taught that Chili had NO beans...

I like it with or without beans, I like Texas and Cincinnati styles but one thing my chili always has are bush ripened hot peppers from my garden either fresh in summer or ground with a little white vinegar and canned like tonight's batch. The hots get used judiciously, ask almost any North Alabama Regulator why.....

10 minutes ago, Caboose said:

"Beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so lets have beans for every meal"

That's the version my daddy used to sing!

I was Born and raised in Northern New Mexico, a long time ago, the correct spellin in N.M. is Chile. that is the green pepper grown in N.M.

In NM Chile is usually cooked in one pot.  Pinto beans in another. I always considered beans as a side dish.  Some kind of meat is usually added if you had some.

Tortilla's  were usually available. one old cook book called the sauce that is made from dried red Chile's that are ground up, red chile gravy. which could be poured over whatever you wanted to,

A good old cookbook is "Historic Cookery" from the Agricultural Extension Service from Las Cruces.

A good book "Truly Texas Mexican"  a Native Culinary Heritage in Recipes by Adan Medrano and available from Texas Tech University Press.

Archived