SASS Wire Forum

I need a new place to live

The political climate in Wa state has gotten to the point where I better leave before I become a felon (No Joke).  A new state law will hold me as a felon if some dirtbag breaks into my house, steals a firearm and uses it in a crime, if the state decides I didn't secure it well enough.

I like mountains, trees and water.  I'm too old to do hard winters.  I hate excess government control. I need a CAS club withing driving distance every weekend and I really hate big cities.  Sounds like I'm looking for Eden, but does anybody know of such a place?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Middle Tennessee. Not mountains, but hills that turn to mountains the furter East you go. Wartrace shoots twice a month. Ocoee, Tennessee Mountain Marauders, ORSA/Oak Ridge. Bowling Green KY, and North Alabama all close enough to drive to.

https://goo.gl/maps/5oE7k8bQMtz

snapshot.thumb.PNG.c3ae2ddf5f51c1f28e1c440a7595c6e0.PNG

254678348_MudflatMike.JPG.dfad8959a18444aa4ebcda92375538aa.JPG

Lake County, Florida is the place to be.

Has everything on your list:

1. Lots of trees;
  2. Lakes everywhere (that's why it's called Lake County)*
  3. No hard winters;
  4. Minimal Government control;
  5. Several CAS Clubs within an hour, even less depending on where you put down roots;
  6. Rural, country atmosphere (big cities within driving distance, if you need them.
  7. EXCEPTION: No mountains.

https://www.lakecountyfl.gov/pdfs/gis/maps/CountyMap_22x34.pdf

I need about three fingers of scotch, neat this morning.

Boaz, Paducah, and Bowling Green Ky. Wartrace Tn. I can shoot every weekend. My daughter lives out there. It's a crazy place when you get too close to civilization. They can take your guns w/o a hearing just because your neighbor is on the other side of the fence from your opinions.

Southwestern Missouri or northwest Arkansas.  Four seasons, hills, lakes and streams.  Last time I counted there are 11 SASS clubs within a 3 hour drive of Springfield, MO. Gas was $2.26 at Sam’s Club yesterday.  Open carry without permit allowed in both MO and ARK.

Southern Indiana is a nice place to be. I'm headed north though because I think MICHIGAN is a GREAT place to be. My wife is retiring to Tennessee though...….

I would suggest Kansas because it's a very gun friendly state including constitutional carry and NFA, there are a number of really great cowboy action shooting clubs within easy driving distance of Wichita and these are not limited to just Kansas but but several neighboring states as well. Cost of living is quite affordable, and we don't have much for winter. There is a brand new airport that helps you get out of town fast if needed. Plenty of restaurants, theaters, golf courses, and other activities. Traffic is relatively easy to navigate, some good school systems, and did I mention cowboy clubs?:D I think there are 7 within reasonable driving distance of Wichita. Reasonable driving distance means 4 hours or less. Heavy on the less for several.

The downside is we don't have any mountains or much in the way of scenery although we do get beautiful sunsets year 'round. It's an easy drive to lake country in several other bordering states. (I know plenty of people who own cabins in Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arkansas that are Lakeside). It's also an easy drive one state over to some of the best the Rocky Mountains has to offer in Colorado ( it's very easy to avoid Denver, by the way;)). We have two major metropolitan areas, one Kansas City and the other Wichita. Wichita has a much smaller population than Kansas City because Kansas City morphs with Kansas City, Missouri and is very populated. Wichita is still a relatively low population city with only around 400,000 in the entire county. 

The political climate in Kansas is pretty much the opposite of what it is in Washington (thanks to Seattle). 

Like any state it has pros and cons. But, these accolades I've described don't keep a lot of people here. Retirees go elsewhere as do a lot of new college graduates. I hope to do the same when I no longer and handcuffed and leg shackled to my employer. 

There ain't no perfect place I've found. But there are states I much prefer over others, generally due to politics. And that's a sad statement to make when we are supposed to be a free country but infringement upon personal freedom is just that and I understand your perspective. 

Good luck in your search!

I've lived here nearly my entire life and all my family is here, so I can't leave. If everybody who is pro-gun flees then we're simply surrendering another state to the enemy. And the big city liberals are now moving to Florida, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana so eventually those states will fall as well. People really need to stand their ground and fight this crap, or else we'll all be moving to Alaska.

I'm not looking forward to this one.  I have some guns on my "Gonna Get" list that are now moving up my list, the first of which is the Ruger PC Carbine.  I was going to wait until more accessories came out, but now I think I may have to move it ahead of a Brass '73 in .45 Colt which I wanted for those days when I want to play on the dark side...

2 hours ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

The political climate in Wa state has gotten to the point where I better leave before I become a felon (No Joke).  A new state law will hold me as a felon if some dirtbag breaks into my house, steals a firearm and uses it in a crime, if the state decides I didn't secure it well enough.

I like mountains, trees and water.  I'm too old to do hard winters.  I hate excess government control. I need a CAS club withing driving distance every weekend and I really hate big cities.  Sounds like I'm looking for Eden, but does anybody know of such a place?

Feeling your pain, Mike. 

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I need about three fingers of scotch, neat this morning.

So do I, I went to bed somewhat optimistic and woke up to find that voters WANT Connecticut to go bankrupt.

The sky ain't fell yet, folks.

It might, but no time soon I'm thinking.

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Southern Indiana is a nice place to be. I'm headed north though because I think MICHIGAN is a GREAT place to be. My wife is retiring to Tennessee though...….

Michigan's alright (Hey, that's hard for someone from Ohio to even say!) But... Uhmmm... "No hard winters?" Not to mention I've been from one end of Michigan to the other, minus the UP, and mountains are somewhat sparse. The northern part of the state can be beautiful in the summer though.

1 hour ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

Great info, keep it comming!  Tennessee and KY were my 1st "take a look" states, but I need more informationn  from other places.

I was going to say Ohio, but we have the same relative absence of mountainous regions, unless you include the foothills of the Appalachians. Oddly, the highest point in the state though is in Logan County, near Bellefontaine, along what is known geologically as the Bellefontaine Outlier. The area doesn't "look" particularly high though. Winters can also be a bit rough here, so Kentucky and Tennessee aren't bad options!

Ohio! There's SASS clubs galore here! Weather's not great but we shoot 8 months of the year for sure, maybe more! Gun friendly, CCW, open carry, no limit on what you can buy. 30 round mags okay! If you have a CCW license you don't need to do a background check when buying a gun from a dealer. Personal sales legal also. Some of the best shooters in the country live here, Lassiter, Stone Creek Drifter, Split Rail, Doc Molar and many more!

Ohio the Wild Midwest!!;)

45 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've lived here nearly my entire life and all my family is here, so I can't leave. If everybody who is pro-gun flees then we're simply surrendering another state to the enemy. And the big city liberals are now moving to Florida, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana so eventually those states will fall as well. People really need to stand their ground and fight this crap, or else we'll all be moving to Alaska.

Don't count Montana on the surrendering list. Even the (jerk) Dem. governor and most of the rural Dem politicians are very Gun Friendly. Except for the Kalispell, Colombia Falls and Whitefish California transplants. 

Montana is an open carry State and is pretty easy to get a concealed permit too. Like Arizona, Montanan's can strap on a side arm OR sling a rifle over your shoulder and walk down the streets. The only restrictions are Hospitals, Banks, Fed. Bldg's  and Bars ( I think bars are included).

SOME Californian's are trying to make Montana (or their area of it) be like where they left, but won't move back to where they left. I suggested using electronic strips in the freeways and highways at the borders. Any Cal license plate would set off the strips and toast the electronics on their vehicle's; especially if they're moving vans heading into the state.

Although there's quite a few Cal transplant's that moved here for the freedom of life we have here. My Doctor WAS from Cal. Both he and his wife moved here several years ago. They both like guns, like to shoot and are against the Pelosi types hands down.

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Gun friendly, CCW, open carry, no limit on what you can buy. 30 round mags okay! If you have a CCW license you don't need to do a background check when buying a gun from a dealer. Personal sales legal also.

All that is still true of WA, for the moment at least. But with the new law and with the Dems getting a stronger grip on state government that will likely begin to change next year.

21 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Don't count Montana on the surrendering list. Even the (jerk) Dem. governor and most of the rural Dem politicians are very Gun Friendly. Except for the Kalispell, Colombia Falls and Whitefish California transplants. 

Montana is an open carry State and is pretty easy to get a concealed permit too. Like Arizona, Montanan's can strap on a side arm OR sling a rifle over your shoulder and walk down the streets. The only restrictions are Hospitals, Banks, Fed. Bldg's  and Bars ( I think bars are included).

SOME Californian's are trying to make Montana (or their area of it) be like where they left, but won't move back to where they left. I suggested using electronic strips in the freeways and highways at the borders. Any Cal license plate would set off the strips and toast the electronics on their vehicle's; especially if they're moving vans heading into the state.

Although there's quite a few Cal transplant's that moved here for the freedom of life we have here. My Doctor WAS from Cal. Both he and his wife moved here several years ago. They both like guns, like to shoot and are against the Pelosi types hands down.

Not all folks from PRK have the mind set you're worried about.

My wife:wub:and I don't have that mind set, and we are look'n hard at Forsyth.

OLG

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

254678348_MudflatMike.JPG.dfad8959a18444aa4ebcda92375538aa.JPG

Lake County, Florida is the place to be.

Has everything on your list:

1. Lots of trees;
  2. Lakes everywhere (that's why it's called Lake County)*
  3. No hard winters;
  4. Minimal Government control;
  5. Several CAS Clubs within an hour, even less depending on where you put down roots;
  6. Rural, country atmosphere (big cities within driving distance, if you need them.
  7. EXCEPTION: No mountains.

https://www.lakecountyfl.gov/pdfs/gis/maps/CountyMap_22x34.pdf

Not sure how which side of the pluses and minuses this fits under but it also has Father Kit Cool Gun Garth :D

@Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

Wasn't sure if you wanted to stay in the Good Ol' USA, as I was going to suggest Australia. ;)

Unfortunately, after some research I found they have some pretty nasty spiders there.

Maybe our Pards from down under @Major Crimes  and @Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 can offer up some insights.

233478294_Australianspiders.thumb.jpg.2df91174d910e95c0fde16b619ca9425.jpg

Well, in Houston, we lost all of the Republican district judges that had a Democrat challenger because of the Beto factor, even though he lost.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Not sure how which side of the pluses and minuses this fits under but it also has Father Kit Cool Gun Garth :D

:blush::blush::)

Right there with you, Mike.

I thought Sequim was going to be my retirement heaven, and it is, until this.

Coeur d'Alene is looking mighty good in a year or two.

Besides family, the thing holding me to this place is Mount Rainier. And St. Helens. Too many cool places to hike in and around and it'd be a real shame to miss it. I'm holding out hope that the worst parts of this law will be ruled unconstitutional. They should be, but with all the liberal judges still on the bench apparently a person forfeits their constitutional rights when they choose to own a firearm.

Archived