SASS Wire Forum

Straight triggers

Chief Rick

Do you compete with one?

Have you tried to compete with one?

If you have one, would it be a must have on your next rifle or not worth it?

My wife has them on her '73s and loves them.  I tried her rifles and dislike the triggers.  Borrow a rifle with straight triggers and give it a try in a practice session.  Only you can know whether they will work for you in a match.

I have a mix of straight triggers, those modified by a smith and factory.  The straight trigger will take most of the slack out of the trigger pull, without having to customize it by a smith.  The first few times using a straight trigger you may notice a difference.  After a while it will be transparent to your shooting.  For the few that suffer from trigger cuts, the straight trigger should eliminate that problem.

Sassy and I both use them.  I like the feel of them, not that they make me shoot any faster, but the feel good and that "peace of mind" is a mental plus.  Some do not like them so do try someone's rifle equipped with one 

30 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I tried one.  It through my timing off terribly and my timing is already bad enough.  I put the curved triggers back in but rounded and smoothed the corners so they won't go through a finger.

+1     Really threw my timing off but it is something that could be quickly adapted to. I didn't have them on my other rifles so it was difficult to switch back and forth. I ended up taking mine off. Put one on a buddy's rifle and he loves it. And yes, I have successfully put the trigger through my finger more times than I will admit.

I’ve never stabbed my finger with the trigger of my 73 but a friend talked me into trying his 73 with the straight trigger and I liked it so much that I had one put in mine...

I fought it for a while because they look like a football bat in an 1873 rifle but for certain styles of shooting they rock. Not everyone shoots with the same style...….so it depends on your style. That's why you have the love/hate. I'm in the love column. 

Since I've never stuck a stock curved trigger "through" my finger with my '73, would some one explain how this happens? Does the trigger actually stab onto the pad of the trigger finger or does it cut the side of the finger? Jess askin'.

1 hour ago, Jess Money said:

Since I've never stuck a stock curved trigger "through" my finger with my '73, would some one explain how this happens? Does the trigger actually stab onto the pad of the trigger finger or does it cut the side of the finger? Jess askin'.

Trying to speed up, I've been catching the first joint of my trigger finger between the tip of the trigger and the lever. 

I don't do it all the time, but when I do - IT HURTS. 

10 hours ago, Jess Money said:

I have two rifles that have never got me but the last one I bought gets me every time I shoot it. I have put a straight trigger on it and so far it is good but switching between guns would be a problem.  This rifle is only a back up for my main match gun so it may be ok .  So to answer your question.  It pinches between the trigger and the lever.  On two occasions the trigger went in the top of the pad and out the bottom, and yes it hurt a lot.  for some reason it always seems to bleed a lot as well.  It was so bad I about could not shoot the gun as I was afraid of it getting me again.  So the straight trigger seems to be the fix on that gun.   

I have had the "73 Trigger"occur way toooo  many times.

That is why we made it, I got tired of bleeding all over my rifles.

Plus some folks tell me they can actually shoot faster with it.  But it takes a few hundred rounds to get used to it.

If you get used to it, don't shoot a curved one again,  the pain isn't worth it. 

It might look like part of the "arms race" with the Marlin  folks getting a straight trigger, but really it was designed to reduce bleeding.

O' #4

Ouch, pards!! I took a look at the way I lever my '73 and apparently I have just the end of the pad on the trigger. Same thing with my Ruger's.  I do recall when I first purchased the new rifle I did some minor stoning on several sharp edges and the right front side of the trigger was smoothed pretty good. AND the lead edge of the loading gate. That's what drew blood form me once or twice. At the first opportunity I'll see if  someone at a match has a straight trigger I can take a look at

1 hour ago, Jess Money said:

Ouch, pards!! I took a look at the way I lever my '73 and apparently I have just the end of the pad on the trigger. Same thing with my Ruger's.  I do recall when I first purchased the new rifle I did some minor stoning on several sharp edges and the right front side of the trigger was smoothed pretty good. AND the lead edge of the loading gate. That's what drew blood form me once or twice. At the first opportunity I'll see if  someone at a match has a straight trigger I can take a look at

There will be at least one at the Hangin' at Coyote Creek this weekend in Amite, LA. 

23 hours ago, Jess Money said:

It depends on the rifle and the build to some degree. If you have a rifle where the trigger has a long pull (and no stop) many of those triggers can actually be pulled back far enough to hit the flat part of the lever that engages the lever safety. Those are the bear traps waiting to git ya' 

On the other hand if the rifle has the right trigger and trigger stop it's about impossible to drive the trigger through you finger. I went through a lot of super glue finding this stuff out. 

Then you have different triggers as well......not all triggers from Uberti are the same profile so some get you closer to the danger zone. Then you have after market triggers and stock triggers that have been modified......and the infamous straight trigger. 

If it's cold, your timing is off,  you slip, you have a lapse of the target pattern or you are trying to win speed rifle that's when it's most likely to happen. If you open the lever close it and pull the trigger in .15 - .17 seconds it doesn't take a huge mistake to throw a wrench in the works. 

I wouldn't shoot a rifle where the trigger and the lever can touch.....or even get close. 

I was so prone to jack a round from my 73, I would shoot my Marlins at monthly matches to develop the habit of full stroking the lever.  Back in the spring, I put a straight trigger in the 73...voila!  No more jacked rounds.  I am not faster with it but I am confident I can go as fast as I want now, without worrying about jacking a live round.  Like Junky said, the straight trigger is goofy looking, but it sure fits my shooting style.  We put a straight trigger from T-bone Dooley in Kay Sadeeya's 66 but she hasn't had a chance to try it, thanks to Hurricane Michael.

Holler

Archived