SASS Wire Forum

CMP 1911

Ramblin Gambler

The latest information on the 1911's will be posted on their webpage below.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

1911 Update – November 6th

Our Random Number Generator (RNG) has selected random numbers for all the packets received. We are working on assigning those random numbers to the 19,000 packets we have received. This will take some time – PLEASE BE PATIENT! It may take 30-60 days to inform you of your random number. Please DO NOT CONTACT US ASKING WHAT YOUR NUMBER IS.

As we process orders, we will call customers as we work through the list.

**If your information has changed (you have moved or your FFL has gone out of business), please DO NOT CONTACT US. You may update us when your number is selected and we contact you.

WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ORDER PACKETS.

Everyone will be notified if their order packet was not accepted so please be patient and bear with us.

Currently, we do not have a date when we will begin auction sales. Once that is determined, we will update our customers

Can't really tell from this update if they won't be processing orders for 30-60 days (once all the numbers are assigned to the packets) or if they're going to process the orders while assigning numbers.  I hope it's the latter.  They better hurry if they want to sell those 2018 guns in 2018. 

I just got the call this morning.  All they have left is the service grade guns for $1050 (the best quality).  Hard to believe that there was less than 1167 field and rack grade guns out of 8k.  Almost suspicious.  I hope they didn't fudge the ratings.  I figured most guns would rate as field grades and there'd be a lot of rack grade thrown in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I'll bump this unless someone really wants a range report.  I picked the pistol up today.  It's pretty solid.  I'm not sure what that half moon discoloration is and there's a little corrosion of some kind on the outside of the chamber on the other side.  Other than that and some marks on the barrel, I can't find anything wrong from a visual inspection. 

It's a Remington Rand and it's got some extra markings I need to investigate now.  Probably arsenal rebuild indications.  I also need to figure out if the SN is a remington or if it's a mixmaster. 

Heck, I just noticed that tag, it looks like the CMP decided the frame and slide were both remington rand. 

CMP 1911.jpg

Gambler, you might check your picture posting - it's not visible, and we're really wanting to see it!  :)

On 11/21/2018 at 10:58 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

New grip panels?

Looks pretty sweet!  :)

I'm sure I'll figure out for sure soon enough.  I thought they looked like the wrong color compared to what I've seen before.  But I took a picture next to my other WW2 era pistol and now I think the difference I see is because of the finishes. 

1297366905_WW21911s-3.thumb.jpg.d1d3854117cad9e76315f4348619830b.jpg

Interesting that the frame is a silver color. Is it just a really light Parkerizing or does it appear to be a different finish?

BTW great score on your "other" 1911. It appear to be a near-mint Union Switch & Signal which would be worth in the high four figures in today's market.

Gambler the half moon discoloration is where the slide was spot hardened at the slide stop notch. The spot really shows up on refinished slides. I have not received my random number yet. One in a million shot that one of the two 1911a1s I was issued would be available if I am lucky enough to get a chance to buy one. CMP stated early on that if you knew the serial number and it was available you would be able to purchase it.  I know the serial numbers on mine because I still have the arms room receipts for them.

2 hours ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Gambler the half moon discoloration is where the slide was spot hardened at the slide stop notch. The spot really shows up on refinished slides. I have not received my random number yet. One in a million shot that one of the two 1911a1s I was issued would be available if I am lucky enough to get a chance to buy one. CMP stated early on that if you knew the serial number and it was available you would be able to purchase it.  I know the serial numbers on mine because I still have the arms room receipts for them.

I was issued a Singer made 1911 at one time. I guarantee that one will go straight to the auction site.  ;)

4 hours ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Gambler the half moon discoloration is where the slide was spot hardened at the slide stop notch. The spot really shows up on refinished slides. 

This is correct.........

OLG

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was issued a Singer made 1911 at one time. I guarantee that one will go straight to the auction site.  ;)

Bob  One of mine was a Colt Frame and slide the other I thought was an Ithica but according to the serial number it was a Remington frame with an Ithica slide.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:01 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Interesting that the frame is a silver color. Is it just a really light Parkerizing or does it appear to be a different finish?

BTW great score on your "other" 1911. It appear to be a near-mint Union Switch & Signal which would be worth in the high four figures in today's market.

I think the US&S is blued.  I don't know enough about these USGI pistols to know if that's a normal parkerization color or not.  I don't recall seeing very many like that.  I can tell you I turned the flash on for the pics because it shows the details better.  I understand they didn't get parkerized until after the war (in the 60's maybe).  This one has a replacement barrel so it was run through the armory sometime after 1960.  That's what the second SN was that I thought I saw on the barrel.  Turns out it's just a drawing number for the replacement barrel. 

6 hours ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

If yours was a Remington Rand, lemme know the SN.  I'd be more than happy to work a trade if this is it.  Now you have a 2 in a million chance.  Heck, 3 in a million, cause my brother in law ordered one too and I know he'd do a trade. 

BTW, I think she shot great, but I have no proof.  Right after they made the line hot, a big gust of wind came along and cleared off all the pistol targets.  They would not call another cease fire so we could reset the targets, so instead, I shot at a target that was laying sideways on the burm.  Made it dance a few times then the wind carried it off and I started shooting at the clothespins that had failed to hold the targets in place.  They were harder to hit, but I did make them dance too. 

26 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

If yours was a Remington Rand, lemme know the SN.  I'd be more than happy to work a trade if this is it.  Now you have a 2 in a million chance.  Heck, 3 in a million, cause my brother in law ordered one too and I know he'd do a trade. 

Thanks a million for the offer. I sent you a PM with the serial number of the Remington.

27 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I think the US&S is blued.  I don't know enough about these USGI pistols to know if that's a normal parkerization color or not.  I don't recall seeing very many like that.  I can tell you I turned the flash on for the pics because it shows the details better.  I understand they didn't get parkerized until after the war (in the 60's maybe).  This one has a replacement barrel so it was run through the armory sometime after 1960.  That's what the second SN was that I thought I saw on the barrel.  Turns out it's just a drawing number for the replacement barrel.

Original finish for US&S pistols was Du-Lite blue over sandblasting. Yours appears correct. Early 1943 Remington Rands and Ithacas were Du-Lite as well. Singers were also Du-Lite, but they were polished. Colt began Parkerizing pistols in 1941 and it became the standard finish for all manufacturers except for what I noted.

Archived