SASS Wire Forum

Country Eggs

Smoken D

Get our eggs from a friend and you never have any idea what color they might be. I think these came from the CHRISTMAS CHICKEN!:o

And yes, they came in the colors you see, brown, green, and white. Wonder what that chicken ate:lol:

Eggs.jpg

Mrs. Lose manages a big avocado and citrus ranch and the resident foreman and workers that live there have chickens and every week she brings home a dozen or so eggs and they look like those. The shells are much thinner, yolks much oranger and darker and they taste so much better than supermarket eggs.

41 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I always thought it was because of what they eat.  My aunt has chickens who lay like that and she says it's more about the breed.  She can tell which chicken laid the egg by the color. 

That's my understanding also.  We get farm eggs and raw milk from local farmer.  

When I was living in Lake Co. CA I happened to end up about two blocks from a friend from college and the SCA.  When she was out of town I took care of her chickens.  Got paid in eggs.  The brown chickens laid green shelled eggs, the black and white chickens laid brown eggs.  Yolks were a very rich yellow.  Shells were nice and thick.  Best eggs I've ever had.

Here I thought white eggs came from white chickens, and brown eggs came from brown chickens.  Can't quite figure what chicken the green one came from...:blink:

We've  had layers for about 20 years. If you have the room they are very easy. Never had any problems. 

We got some Cornish cross broilers to see how raising  and processing them went. 80% of the work was plucking. Some people skin them but I bought a drum style rotary plucker for the next batch. We just butchered 20 and used heat shrink bags and put them in the freezer. It only takes about 8 weeks to get them to butchering size. We are raising another batch.

We have about 20 layers, a mixture of: gold and silver laced wyandote, Rhode island red, black star, buff and white orpington, Easter egger, polish somethings, Cookoo marann Barred rock and speckled sussex.  All hens but one (got the rooster by accident but he's a pretty good protector).

We get eggs in the above colors and various sizes. 

Getting about 12 eggs a day right now. 

46 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Here I thought white eggs came from white chickens, and brown eggs came from brown chickens.  Can't quite figure what chicken the green one came from...:blink:

Those come from the grey ones. 

image-42.jpg

If they hatch you get this. 

bunny-chicken.jpg

Don't ask google how this happens, cause there's pictures of that too. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Sure we're not the only ones, but we'd tease our kids when they were young saying chocolate milk came from brown cows, white milk from white cows.

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Mrs. Lose manages a big avocado and citrus ranch and the resident foreman and workers that live there have chickens and every week she brings home a dozen or so eggs and they look like those. The shells are much thinner, yolks much oranger and darker and they taste so much better than supermarket eggs.

The thin shells are due to a lack of calcium in their diet.  A bag of oyster shells will fix the thin shells and it doubles as grit for their gizzard.

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The thin shells are due to a lack of calcium in their diet.  A bag of oyster shells will fix the thin shells and it doubles as grit for their gizzard.

Tell WALMART that.

From the internet:

In fresh eggs, the albumen (egg white) tends to stick to the inner shell membrane due to the less acidic environment of the egg.  After the eggshell's protective coat slowly wears off, the egg becomes porous, absorbs more air, and releases some of its carbon dioxide. This makes the albumen more acidic, causing it to stick to the inner membrane less. The egg white also shrinks slightly, so the air space between the eggshell and the membrane grows larger.

And according to Farmer's Almanac:

By law, an egg can be sold for up to 30 days after the date it was put in the carton. And farmers have up to 30 days to go from when the egg is laid to the carton. That means those supermarket eggs can be two months old by the time you buy them. 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I passed that information along. Hopefully my future henberries will be thick shelled. I went to crack one the other day and my thumb broke through the shell when I picked it up.

3 hours ago, Cleburne, SASS # 39597 said:

Sure we're not the only ones, but we'd tease our kids when they were young saying chocolate milk came from brown cows, white milk from white cows.

Nope, you're not the only ones!  We did the same thing with our kids too!:lol:

12 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Get our eggs from a friend and you never have any idea what color they might be. I think these came from the CHRISTMAS CHICKEN!:o

And yes, they came in the colors you see, brown, green, and white. Wonder what that chicken ate:lol:

Eggs.jpg

That will save a lot of time dyeing Easter eggs.

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Green eggs come from  arancuna chickens or a related breed from Chile.

And they will also lay pink, light blue and orange tinted eggs, depending on cross breeding within the flock. I've tended and raised colored egg chickens going on about 50 years now!

With all this useful knowledge, no wonder my mind is cluttered :lol:

o

8 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

We have about 20 layers, a mixture of: gold and silver laced wyandote, Rhode island red, black star, buff and white orpington, Easter egger, polish somethings, Cookoo marann Barred rock and speckled sussex.  All hens but one (got the rooster by accident but he's a pretty good protector).

We get eggs in the above colors and various sizes. 

Getting about 12 eggs a day right now. 

OOHHH....... Cukoo Marann eggs are really cool.

Now I know the reason we got along when we met................... Were both chicken farmers. :lol: 

23 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Wife has some layers, Gold Laced Wyandotes & Rhode Island Reds. They won't eat the oyster shell food. My wife saves the used , cracked eggs shells and crushes them up and ads to food and they really eat it. Absolutely love fresh eggs from our free range hens, just so much tastier than store bought eggs.

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Wife has some layers, Gold Laced Wyandotes & Rhode Island Reds. They won't eat the oyster shell food. My wife saves the used , cracked eggs shells and crushes them up and ads to food and they really eat it. Absolutely love fresh eggs from our free range hens, just so much tastier than store bought eggs.

Be sure to sterlize them before feeding them to your chickens. They can get a very nasty case of salmonella from eating their own raw shells.

Archived