SASS Wire Forum

Starting a New Shooter Orientation

Colt Laredo

I am starting up a new shooter orientation for our club that will be held once a month. We already put on a practice once a month so I plan to incorporate my class at the same time. I would appreciate any input or advise if anyone does this type of class. Especially is someone has a program itinerary they use.

We are trying to do all we can to attract new shooters to our sport.

In light of that, I want our new program to show how much fun cowboy shooting is, while instilling safety as well.

Thanks to all.

GREAT idea! We have to get new shooters into our sport or it will fade away. Bravo! If I was out in the AZ, I'd love to help ya out. This may be something SASS should think about. We, as a club, have talked about PR in the local area to pique interest. Inviting youth groups out for a demo day, inviting local media out to see our positive sport, etc. SASS needs more that are willing to step up and get the next generation of shooters on their feet and going in the right direction.

Chuckaroo from Maryland made presentations at SASS conventions on how he held new shooter clinics.  His material is here.

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Chuckaroo from Maryland made presentations at SASS conventions on how he held new shooter clinics.  His material is here.

Excellent link. Lots of good info.

Thanks,

As a new shooter myself, and only recently joining the wire, I feel this is the friendly group of competitive people I have met.  The people I have met at shoots are very friendly, willing to help, and even let you try their gear.  Allot of competitive sports you can't do half of that.

All that being said, I still feeling there is allot to know, learn or try. And this isn't the fault of the other people, it's my own fault. It seems if you don't know which questions to ask you will never get the answer.  

Most questions I've asked on here and all in person I've gotten great feedback. 

MD

Good idea Colonel.

I'll see if he has any of his notes still around. 

I've had several club members contact me wanting to help with this. 

I would like to assign a mentor to each new shooter when they go their first match, so the more help we get the better.

Archived