SASS Wire Forum

looking for a cheap but quality gun

Trigger Mike

my wife tells me that my son wants to use his own money to buy me a gun for my birthday.  He wants to use money he has win his savings account that we set up for him as a child.  On one hand we don't want him to use this money for that and to save it instead but if he is insistent we might let him withdraw it but secretly put it back later.  If we decide to let him buy me a gun, what is a good, reliable and quality but cheap gun to buy?  I have a heritage 22 already and don't want a high point or sccy.   I don't really need a 22 rifle although thought about the Henry Survival 22 .  my local store has a chiappa m-1 carbine 22 rifle for 420 but i was hoping for something cheaper.

1 minute ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'd go with a Ruger 10-22. Then you both can shoot the dickens out of it. Or a basic Henry levergun. Side match gun!

My first thought as well. The Henry Survival 22 is a neat little gun for what it is, but the 10/22 is the better rifle. If the bug hits, you can do a lot with the 10/22 to customize it to your whim.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Business said:

Let him buy ammo for one of your guns and take the boy to the range for dad and son for quality time.

Best Answer of the year !

Whole lots o stores offering the scoped Savage Axis around $200 --bought one in .223 rem. a few years back  -----darn thing is extremely accurate----very little to no recoil---& as crazy as .22 ammo is its not too much more $$ to do .223 rem-----if ya reload its cheaper than .22

1 hour ago, Whiskey Business said:

Let him buy ammo for one of your guns and take the boy to the range for dad and son for quality time.

SEE, ALL IT TOOK WAS...1284848628_AWomansTouch.jpg.bbf833f33287809e48b9af787dd67032.jpg. ;)

I like some of the above replies too.  Another option is a C & B revolver.  Some very high quality C & B guns can be had for around the $200 mark.  Fun to shoot too.

Howdy,

One birthday my Dad bought me a nice set of Nikon binoculars.

They went in the trunk of  my sportscar and I never forgot to take binoculars again.

Instead of an inexpensive gun, how about thinking of another gift you might not 

buy yourself but would sure be handy.

Maybe nice set of screwdrivers or spare sockets and ratchet or maybe a range bag?

After giving more thought, how about a Rock Island Armory pistol of some kind?

Best

CR

ps How about a stripped lower?

Maybe not given the current political fuss...….

1 hour ago, Dirty Low Down sass 23492 said:

----if ya reload its cheaper than .22 

The cheapest .224 bullet I've seen - BULLET - is a dime each. Add a 3¢ primer and you're at 13¢ without figuring in the powder.

HOW MUCH are you paying for 22s? :blink:

You can get a 10-22 for about $250.00

Check out a Rimfire challenge match near you.  Very family oriented and a lot of fun.

Pistols and Rifles with removeable magazines are not required but make it a lot easier.

Someone orta tell the store owners if .22 ammo has gotten cheap again --it ain't showing up here just got thru giving $8.50 for a box of 50 CCI Stingers--was extremely happy to get them--hadn't seen Stingers in stores for a long while!!!!!--------O.K. so w/ my luck next month they'll be $4 a box !!-------  Alpo  I Shoulda said  ALMOST cheaper than .22's--------forgot to figure in  I get my supplies thru  vendor @ yearly match here--members make up a bulk order---last time I got 2000 55gr fmj .224 "s  for $150----darn that's been 4 yrs this month dang darn!!

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You can get a 10-22 for about $250.00

Check out a Rimfire challenge match near you.  Very family oriented and a lot of fun.

Pistols and Rifles with removeable magazines are not required but make it a lot easier.

Or find a nearby Project Appleseed event.

Trigger Mike,

I'm gonna suggest you look at this from a different point of view.

Let your Son buy you something you will cherish and often use.  Something that he will hear you brag about to your friends and want to show off.   Let him spend a little extra money

on you cause its important to him.

If you go cheap and get a gun like a 'tackle box' pistol,  it could diminish HIS JOY in getting you the gift.

After all, YOU ARE HIS DAD.  Let him show you how proud he is of YOU.

Now, here is my suggestion:

Let him get you a nice Browning Buckmark .22 pistol.   This is something that when you pass it down,

it will still be a quality pistol. 

I own 3 of them, plus a couple high dollar S&W .model 41's.

And my Buckmarks are every bit as good as my model 41's, but they only cost about 1/3 as much.

A relatively standard Buckmark will run about $300.

Some of their nicer models run about $400-430  (dealer cost)

OR... maybe one of the Browning 7/8 scale sized 1911-22.

I have owned 3 of these (and still have 1 that I plan to keep) and all 3 were highly reliable and reasonably accurate.

These are really a NICE pistol and they come in different variations, etc......

If you consider another .22 pistol, don't overlook the S&W M&P .22 Compact.   This the one

I keep loaded for my wife because it's a real nice DA/SA 10 shot pistol.  Super reliable.

And of course, the Ruger SR-22 rates right up there with all others.

Don't deny your son the opportunity to get you something nice, they both you and he will

be proud of to own and shoot..... and show to your friends.

..........Widder

After reading Widder's response :rolleyes:, I couldn't help but wonder if a short engraving to commemorate the occasion would add special meaning to the gift?

123326970_JustThinkingOutloud.JPG.993a5b01d24a6cb40cc09518fcf955c2.JPG

:)

21 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

After reading Widder's response :rolleyes:, I couldn't help but wonder if a short engraving to commemorate the occasion would add special meaning to the gift?

Just thinking out loud. :)

I had Michigan Slim laser engraved on a rifle stock. At first my boy was appalled that I did it. My daughter saw right away that it was 'Dad's Gun'. My boy sees it now too and how much I cherish my Pa's guns. The engraving is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I never thought of it like that.  Engraving is good too

I didn't either. The man speaks wisdom.

I could let my wife see if he wants to take my daily carry sig 938 and engrave jump wings on it. He loves a browning 1911-22 so I could give him mine for Christmas and he could buy me one in a different color. 

Or, I've been thinking about getting a rock island 1911 for regular carry to keep my more expensive 1911 at home 

Archived