SASS Wire Forum

New tires!

Whiskey Business

Coopers were due for replacement. Found a deal on a set of Michelin defenders. 

I'm a cheapskate. However, I will splurge on certain things and tires be one of them. 

After a new clutch, tune up and new Michelins, my old paid off car is a beast. 

Yipee!

Tires are one thing you never want to cheap out on. Cheap ones have poor traction in bad weather and/or don't last long. At the same time there are "designer" tires out there that are way overpriced. Always research the brand and model before you buy. Don't just let the tire shop throw on whatever they have in stock.

47 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

Coopers were due for replacement. Found a deal on a set of Michelin defenders. 

I'm a cheapskate. However, I will splurge on certain things and tires be one of them. 

After a new clutch, tune up and new Michelins, my old paid off car is a beast. 

Yipee!

That is great, when will learn to drive???

Texas Lizard

just put four on our '16 Kia. at 235-45-18 them things ain't cheap even for off brands. We also just put brakes on all four corners of the '12. got off at $200, luckily, we've got a retired mech here in the park that fixes cars just for something to do and some pocket cash:blush:

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Tires, brakes and fluids are the cheapest thing you'll ever put into your 'ride'.

Only buy the best, of each. -_-

You bought a great set of 'skins'. ;)

OLG

I once heard of a guy who was addicted to brake fluid. He said he could stop any time. ;)

Can I hear a groooooooooaannn? :P

I have never used those tires but I see a lot of complaints that they don't last as long as others. To me, that is GREAT!

That means they are grippier than other tires which equates to traction which equates to good handling in poor conditions.

I never scrimp on tires or brakes...or most car and bike parts...

1 minute ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I once heard of a guy who was addicted to brake fluid. He said he could stop any time. ;)

Can I hear a groooooooooaannn? :P

Groan...:P

51 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

Had defenders before on a mini van. No complaints. 

North GA is very hilly terrain and these tires perform very well in slick conditions here. 

Oh and I don't get the brake fluid addiction thing.

He said he cud "stop" anytime he wanted,,,,  good to see you here

Howdy,

Tires are the only part of a car that are supposed to touch the road.

The fellas on the Tire Rack website have a lot of info on brands and fair prices.

I have a local shop where they deal with tire rack tires every day.

I once ordered a set of tires new wheels all mounted and balanced.

Even came with cheap but decent looking wheel covers.

A happy end to factory mag wheels that leaked all the time.

Can we use aluminum wheels for targets?

Best

CR

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That means they are grippier than other tires which equates to traction which equates to good handling in poor conditions.

Or what my wife refers to as "Gription"

A long time ago when I was young and foolish and trying to save money I bought 2 retreads. What a mistake!!

Always buy good tires!!!!;)

2013 Ford F150 came with Goodyear Wranglers.  They seemed to ride well.  But any that had a puncture and repaired didn't last long. They separated at the wound within a few thousand miles.  I'd replace the damaged ones with Wrangler take-offs that usually still had lots of tread.  About 50,000 mikes, I bought another set of Wranglers.   I kept back the still good take-offs for replacement tires (2 out of the 4 had separations).  I always keep a good take-off in the bed besides the spare.  Next time around I bought Cooper tires and again kept back any good take-offs.  In 20,000 miles,   I've had one Cooper to get damaged beyond repair and two that have had punctures that were repairable.  So far the repaired Cooper tires are still rolling.

Don't get me started on changing out a spare tire on an F150!  We had to do one yesterday.   :unsure:

13 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The best option on my vehicles is having a clear title...

Amen!

:D

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

A long time ago when I was young and foolish and trying to save money I bought 2 retreads. What a mistake!!

Always buy good tires!!!!;)

In my opinion retreads should be illegal. I bought a set once too in my youth and found out what garbage they are.

44 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

In my opinion retreads should be illegal. I bought a set once too in my youth and found out what garbage they are.

Sixgun:

A good case for many politicians too! ;)

(Tried to be as discreet and generic as possible.)

Good tires are cheap insurance.  Keeping your alignment correct will add many miles to your ride.

I've learned a lot more about tires in the last 20 years.  I used to think tires were tires.  No so grasshopper.  Speed rating, side wall ratings, summer tires, winter tires.  What you are going to do with your vehicle  makes a difference also.  Tire people never tell you any of this.  I have a "toy" car that came with summer, high speed rated tires.  After around 10K miles, the dealer told me I should replace them as the tires were getting worn down and would be bald soon.  10K miles?  Really?  I asked another fella that had the same make of car and he said that I would be lucky if I got 12K - 15K out of a set of tires.  Summer tires use  a softer compound so they stick to the road better.  I put another set of summer tires on my car and after they pooped out around 13K miles, I switched over to all season radials.  There was a slight noticeable difference but not so much that I wanted to spend a grand ever other year replacing tires.

I was forced to put a pair of front tires on the Honda a couple of weeks ago.  Coopers.  That's all the tire shop had in stock in my size. Ran over a piece of metal on the highway.  Had just enough air to get off the road and to the closest tire shop.  As soon as I am able, they will go on the back and I'll put some Michelin's or Goodyear's on her. As we get ready for rainy season, grippy is a good thing.

BTW - Tires make a big difference in your gas mileage as well.  I watched mine drop a couple of tenths with the new tires.

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

When they passed the two term limit for President they should have included

ALL lawmakers.

Best

CR

Yes, Career Politicians.

With a few exceptions, never worked a day in their lives and have little idea of what is happening in the real world.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:41 AM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Depends on who does the work.

Semi-trucks, use'em all the time. Tire body can't be more than 5yo and can only be retreaded one time.

No retreads on steering axle.

BTW-Commercial and general aviation use retreads. ;)

OLG

8 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

I was forced to put a pair of front tires on the Honda a couple of weeks ago.  Coopers.  That's all the tire shop had in stock in my size. Ran over a piece of metal on the highway.  Had just enough air to get off the road and to the closest tire shop.  As soon as I am able, they will go on the back and I'll put some Michelin's or Goodyear's on her. As we get ready for rainy season, grippy is a good thing.

BTW - Tires make a big difference in your gas mileage as well.  I watched mine drop a couple of tenths with the new tires.

Kris-Don't mix brands. Go with Mics.;)

OLG

Archived