SASS Wire Forum

.38 crimping die

cajun bandit

22 minutes ago, cajun bandit said:

who makes the best crimping die for .38 ?[I already have a Lee factory crimping die]

I think you already have the best!!

Yep.  I used the Lee combo seat/crimp die for .38's for a lot of years with no problems.  But a pair of my oldest '51 conversions has tight chambers and a few brands of thick brass (WCC, CBC, etc) would not chamber, even though that ammo worked in all my other guns.  So I finally last year added the Lee FCD, which I already use for other calibers, and that minor problem has vanished.

I prefer separate crimp & seat die and use  Dillon brand for both

Have had great success using Redding Profile Crimp dies on my mangulums!!!      GW

Having reloaded commercial I may have a method of setting up the crimp die that will help.

Take clean brass.

You are going to run these through your press

The press will have no power or primers in it and you will not be using any bullets.

You will run one case at a time through the press.

Size the case as you normally do.

Run the case up in to the powder station to bell the case. (no powder)

Run the case up in to the bullet eating and roll crimping die. (no bullet)

Remove the case from the press and inspect the roll crimp.

Does it need more or less crimp.

Adjust die and run another case through the steps above.

When you get a crimp looking how you want it,

run the case through and only add the bullet to see if the crimp falls in the correct place on the bullet.

Is the bullet crimp holding the bullet.

Is the crimp distorting the bullet. (adjust to fix if it does)

Will the bullet push back in to the case. Crimp is not rolled enough and is not in the crimp groove or biting in to the bullet sides.

Once these steps at good, then run a few cases through with powder and bullets.

Test shoot those rounds to make sure they do what you want.

If they do, you're good to go.

If not, start again from the beginning.

If you follow Cliff Hanger's instructions carefully, you can probably crimp with any currently made make of die you want to and get a firm crimp that does not distort or bulge the case.  Which is all you really need for Cowboy main match.

If you need best-available at any price, yep, the Redding Profile Crimp die.   Like -  if you are squeezing the last 1/4 MOA out of long range pistol caliber rifle ammo.

Good luck, GJ

5 hours ago, cajun bandit said:

who makes the best crimping die for .38 ?[I already have a Lee factory crimping die]

Then you have the best..........;)

Best to seat, and then crimp in 2 separate operations.

OLG

I am a brand snob when it comes to reloading equipment. Usually for good reason. But my Redding profile crimp die is in the parts drawer and my Lee Factory Crimp dies are on my toolheads. As a commercial reloader loading 5000-10000 rounds a day I trust and am pleased with the performance of the Lee die. 

I'm happy with the Lee die as well, but I do stick with brand name brass, as I've found some of the off brands consistently will not run through the cartridge checker. (Not takin the chance on a misfeed, kid'll have my hide!) Also, if you are setting crimp on a dual purpose die, you'll probably want to back off the bullet seat, so as not to shrink your OAL. THEN make sure your OAL length is what you want. When setting the die, I set the depth first, making sure I have no crimp, then back out the bullet seater and set the crimp how I want it, then run the bullet seater back down to touch the top of the bullet. Lock it all in place. The Lee breachlock rings do a nice job of this and I never have to set the die again for that specific bullet. Whole die comes out and stays set.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived