SASS Wire Forum

Red Dead Redemption

lone_ranger674

So Red Dead Redemption 2 just came out this past weekend and had the biggest opening weekend ever.  Its getting many positive reviews. For those not familiar its an open world western video game.  But the biggest thing is its making people thinking about being a cowboy again.  Might be a good opportunity to market the game to some younger folks?

A couple of Millenials with whom I work were talking about this game with much enthusiasm. I have not gamed since Duke Nukem and Quake but this does tempt me. I wonder how much sick time I have at work 'cause I'd need it if'n I got addicted!

I hope you're right about creating an interest in shooting real cowboy guns! I believe other games have spawned an interest in other firearms. Folks just gotta get off the couch and go shoot 'em once in a while though! :D

My son(14) bought it with his own money. It's awesome and I'm considering a second X Box and a copy for me :D

I asked him if he thought it might inspire others to dress cowboy and maybe jump into CAS, he said probably not; kids are too lazy to get outside and do anything.

For those that don't know, between basketball, mowing yards in the summer, and video games when time allows he enjoys shooting SASS; at least until the fumes get to him(car fumes and perfumes).

Well, the movie Terminator made a star out of the Winchester 1887.  If you do a search of Winchester 87 on YouTube,  you get more video gamers playing with them than in video games,  making Lego and paper models.  Some that have actual guns I'd be afraid to be around. 

I will definitely be picking it up at some time I enjoyed the first one a lot.  Its true it does take to get them off the couch but maybe all it takes is convincing them to try CAS  once and they will be hooked?  Just gotta make sure kids know about it and be supportive of them trying it out.

10 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I asked him if he thought it might inspire others to dress cowboy and maybe jump into CAS, he said probably not; kids are too lazy to get outside and do anything.

My guess is that they'll find CAS to booring - no stimulating action.  

Awesome Game!  I've played all the Red Dead Games from Red Dead Revolver to Red Dead Redemption to currently Red Dead Redemption 2.  All have been a blast.... pun intended!  

Cas has the hardest challenge in drawing new shooters of any shooting discipline. The ammunition is more expensive than an idpa match. The equipment is more expensive than 3 gun. The gear is more expensive than 3 gun. There's clothing to be purchased. It's set up for established people. Yes things can be borrowed, but that's true in every shooting discipline. Add movement during shooting and you may attract younger folks.

Then there's the elephant in the room:

It's not really a shooting match. It's more like an antique open carry picnic, with your grandparents.:PLOL There aren't that many young people at the matches, at least not near me. :(

13 minutes ago, Fast Enuff said:

I'm waiting for them to announce a PC version. :)

1 minute ago, El Cubano said:

Supposedly its not slated til next year some time.

IF they make one.  From what I've heard they're on the fence and there likely to create the online world for XBOX/PS4 before a PC version.

I’ve awaited this release since the announcement and had it on preorder. It looks like I have to wait another 3 hours for the upload, so I guess I’ll continue adjusting the short arbor issues with my uberti walkers in the meantime. Revolver got me hooked and Redemption made my eyes bloodshot. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I enjoyed the video. I also like some points Hickok45 eluded to 

I am not a weekend shooter nor a big gamer but I like westerns. I’m 52 and I  got a copy of Red Dead 2 for the same reason I take time out to watch a good western. I like getting immersed in the story for a time. The cool fact about the video game other than it being a western is that I get to interact, move and shoot within the story. 

I’m still looking forward to playing RD2. I’ve had it for a month and a half and only went through the opening chapter. I’ve been focused more on tuning my cap guns over playing. And that’s another good point Hickok45 made. If we’re putting on some outfits, getting out our cowboy guns and shootin’ steely badguys, aren’t we all just playin’ make believe. 

It would be nice to attract new shooters no matter how they get interested in cowboy shooting. 

A bit of Trivia about Red Dead Redemption.  The actual video trailer made prior to the game had Johnny Waco, one of the founders of the Chorro Valley Regulators, as the main character.  He is a bad man with a gun :P.

I have really been interested in this game.  My son-in-law is a gamer and plays it a lot.  I've watched some of the walk-through video's on YouTube and it has me asking this question.  Can you play the game with high moral standards and get anywhere?  I mean no killing and robbing and other dastardly deeds.  I would be content just hunting and fishing and maybe getting drunk in a saloon every once in a while.  Can you play the game as a 'Good Guy' without all of the brutality, does anyone know?

Regards

Claude

2 hours ago, Claude Dirtbank, #104201 said:

I have really been interested in this game.  My son-in-law is a gamer and plays it a lot.  I've watched some of the walk-through video's on YouTube and it has me asking this question.  Can you play the game with high moral standards and get anywhere?  I mean no killing and robbing and other dastardly deeds.  I would be content just hunting and fishing and maybe getting drunk in a saloon every once in a while.  Can you play the game as a 'Good Guy' without all of the brutality, does anyone know?

Regards

Claude

According to my 14 year old, no. You can only do so much as a 'good guy'; certainly can't win without a bit of meanness.  I've played it a little bit and it's ok. Starts off slow. Game controls are a pain in the butt and could have been made easier/better imo. 

I haven’t gotten too far in this one yet but in the last red dead I would do just what you described. I would ride the horse in the open world. Try to catch a mustang or hunt. Sometimes intentionally avoid situations. Occasionally shoot a bystander just to out run the posse. You know, laid back stuff. 

Archived