SASS Wire Forum

Case Separation Lever Action Rifle

Ace Hanlon

Should brass casings which contain cantilever markings be limited to pistol use only?  I did have a portion of a brass case left in a rifle chamber which appeared to break/separate at the cantilever.

I've had a couple separate at the cannelure in the rifle, and I've had them separate just above the head, maybe 1/4".

Never had it happen in the pistol. I no longer use cannelured brass in my rifle, pistols only.

This sounds stoopid, the easiest way to get the broken case out of the rifle chamber is simple. Close the action shove a couple sheets of toilet tissue down the barrel with a cleaning rod, pack it really tight. Open the action and push the paper down into the chamber. The broken case will come out with the wad of paper.

I didn't believe it either, works like a champ.

Had a .45 Colt case, with the old Winchester SEVERE cannelure (deeply stamped groove), separate.   In my 73 rifle   On the last shot of one stage, and it was detected only when trying to chamber first round in rifle on next stage.  Yep, after pistols were shot.  Lost 10 rounds not fired.   Just last month.

ALL my cannelured brass has been removed from my ammo supply.  And I've obtained broken case extractors for .45 and .38 - just in case someone else needs one at a stage. 

Even got the pic (yes, that deep indent is the cannelure (what's left), not the crimp on the mouth): 

Good luck, GJ

separated 45 case.jpg

Howdy ACE.

Personally, I've had that type case separation in both a rifle and a pistol..... once each.

It was much easier to remove from the pistol cylinder than the rifle chamber.

Luckily, I didn't have many of those style brass cases but I did stop using them

in the rifle (.38 Marlin).

..........Widder

I've had one in the rifle, and seen two others, all cannelure,, for big matches I will not use them in the rifle,,,

I even came up with a way to remove them using a 8" piece of brass rod that was smashed good on one end,,,,  the "extractor tool"  didn't work on mine,,,

1 minute ago, Shooting Bull said:

I had my first ever case separation two weekends ago at the Divisional.  Separated right at the head, not the cannelure.

Was it about 3/16" - 1/4" above the head?

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

Was it about 3/16" - 1/4" above the head?

I had one just about there on a smooth Speer case.

My belief, without a lot of evidence, is those "low" separations are bolt 1/4 inch  out of battery when fired. 

That is just about the strongest part of the case.  Unless you are stretching cases, which in straight wall cases and low combustion pressures we have, it is VERY hard to make that happen.  If any of you with those low case separations would like to measure the case wall thickness right at the break, and then reach deeper about a tenth of an inch and measure the case wall there, I'd sure like to see those figures!

Thanks, GJ

I've started noticing some disfiguring on really old cases just above the head.. They go in the scrap bucket.

Anything questionable gets shot in the pistols or goes in the bucket.

This may be from the resizing die only going down to about the same spot, or head space. Brass is cheap considering the number of times it get reloaded.

Myself, I have never had that type of case separation.  But, I carry a Shotgun Boogie Case Extraction Tool.  And, although I will use just about any case in a monthly match, for a major match I only use my best non-cannulured brass in my rifle.  What the heck, why take the chance.

4 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I had my first ever case separation two weekends ago at the Divisional.  Separated right at the head, not the cannelure.

If it was in a rifle-You may well have had a OOB discharge.

Check your headspace ASAP.

OLG

16 hours ago, Assassin said:

...This sounds stoopid, the easiest way to get the broken case out of the rifle chamber is simple. Close the action shove a couple sheets of toilet tissue down the barrel with a cleaning rod, pack it really tight. Open the action and push the paper down into the chamber. The broken case will come out with the wad of paper.

I didn't believe it either, works like a champ.

Good to know, and easy enough to try.  Might have to deal with comments about the roll of TP in the guncart. :)

A local shooter known for having ammo problems told a friend that if he gets a case separation in his 44-40 rifle, he just loads a 38-40 and fires it. :wacko:

I ‘ve had 100s verticle split 38 BP cases, none horizontal.

I found a 10 yo+ batch of my 38 BP ammo, shot it and saw 80% verticle split rate.

I had 10s horizontal neck separations with 44-40 cases, one production cycle. No verticle splits in 1000’s of annealed cases.

Just sayin’

Amarillo Rattler

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Might have to deal with comments about the roll of TP in the guncart.

Just tell them that SH^% happens and you want to be prepared.  Then ask them if they are prepared for when SH^% happens. ;)

Archived