SASS Wire Forum

Which is correct?

Alpo

When speaking of the Army, or members thereof, is it USA - United States Army - or AUS - Army of the United States?

I've seen it both ways, and to me AUS is less confusing.

So was it CAPT Utah Bob, USA, or CAPT Utah Bob AUS?

I'm picking on Bob simply because I know he was Army. Pat was Navy, Forty a Marine and Trailrider Air Force. Don't know about anybody else.

According to the Veteran Affairs it's USA.

Disclaimer: Before I joined the Armed Forces, I chose the one with the easiest to understand,  therefore,  USAF. :P:D

Easier to explain with a quote from the Wikipedia web site:

The Army of the United States is one of the four major service components of the United States Army (the others being the Regular Army, the United States Army Reserve and the National Guard of the United States),[1] but it has been inactive since the suspension of the draft in 1973 and the U.S. military's transition to a volunteer force.[2] Personnel serving in the United States Army during a major national emergency or armed conflict (either voluntarily or involuntarily) were enlisted into the Army of the United States, without specifying service in a component.

The term "Army of the United States" or "Armies of the United States" is also the legal name of the collective land forces of the United States, as prescribed by the United States Constitution.[3][4] In this concept, the term "Army of the United States" has been in use since at least 1841, as in the title General Regulations for the Army of the United States.

For all my years in, I never referred to it as the Army of the United States. Always United States Army. Still do

Mountains of paperwork and it all said USA.

Being one time Army M.P. I always had U.S.A. ( I do believe Utah Bob is currently in Hawaii celebrating their 50th) :D

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

You still answer to Sparks?

I never answered to 'Sparks'..... but I did have them on my patch.

I could max out the teletype at 70 wpm.

And, I was probably one of the best tape readers, both chad and chadless.

I could read tapes bout as fast as others could read a type written page.

..........Widder

40 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How were you at hanging chads, Widder? :lol:

Pretty good.

I was good enough that while reading those tapes, if a hanging chad had actually not 'hung', I could

pretty much spot the spelling error and fix it.

I don't know how I managed to become proficient at that time, but it probably had

something to do with being in Morocco for 15 months, working 12 hours shifts on

a teletype and reading tapes..... :o

..........Widder

I knew a couple of guys in the Navy that could read and write backwards as good as they could forwards.  They spent a couple of cruises writing on a glass pane in Air Ops on board a Carrier. They stood on the backside and wrote the status information so that the Air Boss could read the information from the front side.

• 2 months later...

Archived