SASS Wire Forum

Texas Star In Main Match Stage

Yul Lose

Our local club is trying to put together an annual match and one of the planners wants to incorporate the Texas Star into one of the stages. I’ve shot a few matches where it was used in a main match stage and it wasn’t well received because it took three to four times as long to reset it as it did to shoot it. Have any of you other match directors used it successfully without posses stacking up behind each other because of the timeframe involved resetting the targets? I’ve got my doubts as to whether it will work or not but I’d like to see what others have experienced.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve used one occasionally but you are correct it would really clog up the flow in an annual match. There is also a slight risk of injury from resetting it. Especially to folks who aren’t familiar with one. 

Just my opinion

Randy

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

They’re occasionally used around here for monthly matches. I like the Texas Star.

Single posse match or more than one posse? 

More than 1 posse, and you'll need at least 2 folks to reset it each time.

The bend'n over to PU the 'paddles' gets 'ruff' for folks with BP issues and such. ;)

Fun target-Can SLO a stage down with the reset time.

OLG

Agree that it can slow things up....

But the fun factor (to me) makes up for that because you just don't see them that much anymore.

Of course I am not in all that much of a hurry to get to the match, shoot and then leave ASAP, I enjoy being around my fellow Cowboys/Cowgirls.

If anything has really changed in the last 10-11 years that I have been doing CAS it is the whole "gotta get done cuz I have other/better things to do":mellow:

Flow is good but so is different

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Texas stars are just too much fun.  Wolff's Rowdy Rangers had TWO on their SUPER STAGE.  Worked out extremely well!

It helps if the posses have at least 2 or 3 empty stages between them so that things don't backup at the Texas Star stage.  I love shooting flyers, swingers, and the Texas Star.

Stars are great for Wild Bunch as the high power factor always knocks them off.  If the are set correctly CAS loads will clean them easily. We use them all the time here and with a bit of familiarity they can be reset while the brass is picked up.  Make the rest of the stage easy with limited movement etc. and it won't back things up. 

How would it work with 6 posses with six stages and with one stage featuring the Texas Star? Would posses stack up behind the Texas Star stage? 

25 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

How would it work with 6 posses with six stages and with one stage featuring the Texas Star? Would posses stack up behind the Texas Star stage? 

Yes. And it will get progressively worse as each posse goes through.

I always prefer a match with props, store fronts and reactive targets such as Texas stars, swinging targets, pop ups etc.  

Sure Its gonna slow down a bit due to reset, but for that particular stage designate prop reset folks and that will help.  Fore example if you call for 3 spotters, call for 2 prop reset folks as well.  everyone swaps out from shooting to working just like a brass picker, spotter etc.  

Just remember, no matter what you choose, you wont please em all.

53 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Traffic jam for sure......

OLG

The Texas Star is a fun target. However, as noted above, it takes time to reset it and there may not be enough posse members who want to, or can, bend over to pick up the steel and reset it.  I have been told that my old club in NJ stopped using it for the annual match.

I have shot them many times - some with success, but many times with some type of issue.  We have found that you definitely need a posse with good workers.  It takes 3 to effectively reset the star in a decent time frame.  One holds it, and two clip the targets back on.  We had a club that liked to experiment with it by using it with different guns.  The rifle was the most successful and the shotgun was definitely not.  Target distance was a huge factor in the success of each gun.  They even had TWO stars at times.  While there were star lovers, most shooters were not.  It almost always created a bottleneck but that was back in the day with 5 posses on 5 bays.

All I have to say about the star:  I will never forget Grandson #2's pride -- and relief -- at cleaning his first star in five shots.  I didn't care how long it took to reset.  But I'm with Barb:  one holding the frame and 2 resetting plates & it doesn't take that long.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Hi Yul, we've done quite a few times.

So not to create a back log, we found if you use it for pistol first up on a forward movement stage, taking the shooter downrange for rifle and shotgun say, your posse will have it set by the time the shooter has walked back up range.

21 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Hi Yul, we've done quite a few times.

So not to create a back log, we found if you use it for pistol first up on a forward movement stage, taking the shooter downrange for rifle and shotgun say, your posse will have it set by the time the shooter has walked back up range.

Our stages are all in a line so there can’t be any down range movement and cease fires on all stages need to be called if there is.

So having the posses all on the same line is a challenge. As far as I have seen you put three people on the star. One holds it, one loads it, and one picks them up. That way it flies on the reset. As far as bending over to pick the plates up, that's for the birds. Get the magnets on a stick with a release lever from Northern Hardware/Tool or Walmart. Magnetic reacher #1Magnetic reacher #2

These make it easy and efficient. If it's slow crack the whip on the posse because the process isn't the problem. This should reset as quick as one person doing four shotgun knockdowns. 

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh by all means do it!!!

I mean... The 20% of the posse that is working their butts off won't mind doing more work.

<_<

Can't you just tell the shiftless not to come back? I always suggest this when I catch them. 

10 minutes ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

So having the posses all on the same line is a challenge. As far as I have seen you put three people on the star. One holds it, one loads it, and one picks them up. That way it flies on the reset. As far as bending over to pick the plates up, that's for the birds. Get the magnets on a stick with a release lever from Northern Hardware/Tool or Walmart. Magnetic reacher #1Magnetic reacher #2

These make it easy and efficient. If it's slow crack the whip on the posse because the process isn't the problem. This should reset as quick as one person doing four shotgun knockdowns. 

We’ve got the magnets but nobody uses them.

5 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

Texas stars, bird throwers and other action targets are fun and should be used in main matches more often.

Agree!  You can incorporate star and leave out shotgun to make it go faster. At our club, we have a giant magnet thingy to pick up the plates. If it's your annual match, it's a perfect opportunity to throw in something fun/different that you don't always get to use.  I help.with the plate resetting and it's not THAT difficult IF you know how to do it. ...Like others have said... Simply my thoughts. Whatever you do it will be fun. 

Hugs, 

Scarlett

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

We’ve got the magnets but nobody uses them.

Well I use them because my gunbelt and shotgun belt limits my flexibility. I can touch my toes and am very flexible normally, but I use the magnet because it streamlines the process. Too many people ignore the fact that wasted seconds in match administration on the stage add up to extra hours on the match. Drive them hard and get it reset efficiently.

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Agree!  You can incorporate star and leave out shotgun to make it go faster. At our club, we have a giant magnet thingy to pick up the plates. If it's your annual match, it's a perfect opportunity to throw in something fun/different that you don't always get to use.  I help.with the plate resetting and it's not THAT difficult IF you know how to do it. ...Like others have said... Simply my thoughts. Whatever you do it will be fun. 

Hugs, 

Scarlett

I have always wanted to use the Texas Star in a limited round count situation such as a star and three other targets needing single taps. Two makeups and then it goes on record...with a pistol...at twelve to fifteen yards. That'll fire em up!

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh by all means do it!!!

I mean... The 20% of the posse that is working their butts off won't mind doing more work.

<_<

What Phantom said. Usually 2 people go down every time. Big posse it wears you out.

If you have a common firing line you are going to hold up the entire match to reset.

Don't use it unless it's a sidematch.

If you choose to use it, be sure that you have spare springs, brackets, whatever... because if it can break, it might when you don't want it to.

It would be worse if, halfway through the shoot, you can no longer get all the plates on the star...

I will tell you this Mule Camp the GREAT southeastern  regional used a star darn year every year I shot it. It separated shooters like long hunter from shooters who were gun manipulators. that star was set around 8 yds maybe 7.. It separated many, myself included. that match ran close to 500 shooters an it ran like a clock. I see no problem using the star in a annual.

RRR

Archived