SASS Wire Forum

reloading dies shellholder question

O.K------I been using Lee equiptment solely for quiet a few years now----never used any other brand-----every set of Lee dies I ever got came with a shellholder for that calib.------recently  had thing w/ RCBS dies--------seems they & many other brands list shellholder sold separately------is this just a thing o making price seem less----- then getting ya for the $$ to buy  shellholder or do different brands o presses need different types o shellholder???

A Lee will work on my RCBS press.

Marketing gimmick that Lee has used for years.

All reloading presses made in the last 40+ years have the same shell holder mount. However each manufacturer uses a different numbering scheme.  

Also there are many cases that have the same head size, you don't need a shell holder for every set of dies.  For example: 45 auto, 30-06, 308 and many more are the same.

Lee sells their dies and shell holders as a set for convenience sake to the buyer. As the low-cost leader in the reloading dies, they sell a lot of stuff to first time buyers. And that is a good thing in my opinion, because they sell decent stuff at a low cost and a lot of people join our sport.

The flipside is that if you buy enough Lee dies in different calibers, you  eventually collecta number of duplicate shell holders. Again, that is not a bad thing in my book. There are many worst things I have spent coin on in my life. 

Archived