SASS Wire Forum

Bullet length

Putnam Under

I've always shot Marlins. I decided to try  a '73 so I bought one. It's my understanding that the overall length of the bullet is critical. What's the shortest and longest that will feed without problems?

I would suppose that it would be helpful to mention that the caliber is .357.

Here's a handy guide. Technically 1.45-1.59 oal will work. 

I find .38s feed best between 1.49 and 1.52

For 44-40s I keep them 1.57-1.58

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/togglelink.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiS0uz-4aXeAhUymuAKHc9jBAYQFjAOegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1iQCoWmnmsNzNkOuup_MvX

They have no cartridge stop, per se, the cartridge on the carrier is the cartridge stop for the next one in the tube. The front of the carrier has a bevel so that as it lifts the cartridge up to the chamber, it also pushes the next cartridge in the tube back into the tube. If your overall length is too short to stop the next cartridge somewhere on that bevel, the carrier can't rise. Ideally, "as long as it can be and still feed reliably" is best.

Fast forward to about the 40 second mark in this animation to see what I'm talking about.

I have 2 73's that use 38's OR 357's. My 38's are an OAL of 1.46- 1.48 using a 125 TCFP bullet and those run great. They also run 357's with no problems.

My other (3rd) 73 is 44-40. Those are 1.58's. The only rifle I've had that was very OAL sensitive was a Rossi 92. That one would spit out about every 3rd live round if it was being run fast, run it slow and it was fine. That was with a 38's...357...no problem. It liked the "about 1/8th inch longer OAL 357.

Crimp in the crimp groove and you should be good. All my 38 1873s will handle 105s crimped in the groove as well as 125s crimped in the groove. My 45 Colt 1873s will handle 160 gr crimped in the groove as well as 200 gr crimped in the groove.  You have a relatively large window for OAL in the 1873. 

If the round moving onto the elevator is too long, the nose of the bullet will hit and you have a jam. If the bullet is too short, the next round will protrude into the elevator too far and will not be pushed forward. 

The 73 has a built in OAL gauge… it is the carrier. If you set your OAL of the cartridge to the same length as the carrier (lifter), that would be the best OAL. If the cartridge is shorter than that it will still work, but you will be pushing the rounds in the magazine in and out every time you lever the gun. Many folks do just that and like I said, it works, but it does require just a small bit more energy to the cycle process. The stronger the magazine spring is, and the more rounds in the magazine, the more work is required to push them in and out of the magazine. It's not a big deal to do that, especially if your gun is "Slicked" up. It's not normally any problem to set the bullet out when shooting smokeless powder. However, when shooting Black Powder you really ought to seat the bullet down on top of the powder. When you do so, the bullet length become more critical if you want the OAL to be at optimum. Most of the 38 caliber 73s are designed for the 357 mag, which of course is a little longer than the 38 special. I like to use 38 special cases so when I designed the Snakebite bullet I not only made it to accept a large amount bullet lube, but I also made the length so that when it is loaded into a 38 special case on top of a standard charge of Black Powder, the OAL case length comes out to the same OAL as a 357 mag. There are other bullets that can accomplish the same OAL.  Many don't think that it is necessary and it may not be... but I like the OAL to be what it was intended to be. Seems to work well for me. JMO

Snakebite 

I believe C&I recommends their 38 tuned rifles to feed min 1.45".

I adjust seater die to my shortest bullet, a 105, then with crimp just into edge of "crimp groove" OAL nets 1.455-1.465".  Leaving the seater die at that setting, 125s crimp into their "crimp groove" and approx same OAL as 105, 135s are crimped into bullet wall (no crimp groove) producing OAL 1.47-1.48", 147s crimp just at ogive netting OAL around 1.465".  105 and 125s are very much same truncated shape, 135s (more round nose) and 147s  different in appearance.

Archived