SASS Wire Forum

38 Special Nickel Brass

Dungannon Gunner

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:56 AM, John Henry Quick said:

I used nickle plated cases when I was shooting revolver class in Steel Challenge and never had a problem.  I can't remember if they were Speer or RP.  I used that batch in the monthly matches at Quantico for about two years and I figure I got at least 25 reloads out of them before they started splitting at the case mouth.   

I also never had the problem of nickle flaking off that some people will talk about - the nickle slowly washed off in tumbling so that near the end of their life they actually looked more like regular brass unless the light was just right.  :)

This has been my experience.  I have some nickel plated Winchester cases that the nickel has worn off of ant they have not split yet. 

But I don't over-flare the case mouths.

Duffield

I have had nickle cases that have had the finish wear off they were used so much. I've also had cases that separated in my rifle and ruined my match results. I'd rather toss them when I come across them now.

I am with Driftwood in the big pile of mixed brass. The times that a case has split at a match is MY fault for not catching the crack during reloading.

I have some nickle cases that are so used that the nickle is wearing off. With the low pressures we deal with  I am sure some of my 38 brass I have been using for over 30 years, and I got it all used.

When the Missus started CAS I had about 2000 each of nickel and brass brass. I hardly ever have a split brass shell and when I was loading the nickel for her, I had about 6-10 each match and she complained about ejecting them. Sold the nickel cheap and am still reloading the brass ones with an occasional slit or crack. After a couple years of relaoding the brass cases she now gee 1-3 cracked or split cases per match. I never had the nickel ones peel or chip however. I did keep a couple dozen for use in the holster to stop the verdigris issue.

19 minutes ago, diablo slim said:

I load nickel with bp....brass with smokeless...seems to work better that way.

me too and inspect the nickels closely after loaded...especially those designated for rifle.

I use Starline Nickel brass in my 44-40 rifles and .38 special in a '66 as well as a couple pair of conversion pistols. and lose more brass to the tall grass than to split cases.  Most of the splits found in the 38s are usually from some range brass from a variety of head stamps.  Prior experience with Winchester .38 nickel plated brass resulted in more than a few split cases.  All my shooting is done with BP, T7 or Pinnacle.   

Archived