SASS Wire Forum

Songs that never grow old

Widder, SASS #59054

Back in 1967, I was country before country was cool and belonged to the University of Houston Rodeo Association.  The first country song on the juke box in Cougar Den was Pop A Top by Jim Ed Brown.  Haven't heard it in years.

Other favorites not in any order are:

Gone Country and Mercury Blues - Alan Jackson

The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels 

Fire on the Mountain - The Marshall Tucker Band

If You Wanna Get To Heaven - The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Down At the Twist and Shout, Halley Came to Jackson - Mary Chapin Carpenter

The Silverton - C. W. McCall

The Unicorn Song - The Irish Rovers (based on a poem by Shel Silverstein)

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

King of the Road.  Roger Miller

El Paso.                   Marty Robbins

Anything by Dr. Hook  ;)

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I like listening to YouTube for all the old favorite songs.

There just seems to be some that have stood the test of time and whether everyone likes them or not,

it seems like everyone knows them and sings along.

Here are a couple I notice that I think will continue to stand the test of time and seemingly live forever,

In no particular order:

1.  I know I'll find another you...........  The Seekers  (I think around 1965)

2.  Puff The Magic Dragon .............  Peter, Paul and Mary    (?)

3.  By the Time I get To Phoenix ......... Glen Campbell   (just a great country song)

4.  Unchained Melody ........ Righteous Bros.    Probably won't ever be another song to top its popularity.

Honorable mention:  Brandi (Looking Glass),    Dream (Everly Bros),  I Can't Stop Loving You  (Ray Charles)

WHAT's on your list of great ones, whether you like them or not?

..........Widder

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I like listening to YouTube for all the old favorite songs.

There just seems to be some that have stood the test of time and whether everyone likes them or not,

it seems like everyone knows them and sings along.

Here are a couple I notice that I think will continue to stand the test of time and seemingly live forever,

In no particular order:

1.  I know I'll find another you...........  The Seekers  (I think around 1965)

2.  Puff The Magic Dragon .............  Peter, Paul and Mary    (?)

3.  By the Time I get To Phoenix ......... Glen Campbell   (just a great country song)

4.  Unchained Melody ........ Righteous Bros.    Probably won't ever be another song to top its popularity.

Honorable mention:  Brandi (Looking Glass),    Dream (Everly Bros),  I Can't Stop Loving You  (Ray Charles)

WHAT's on your list of great ones, whether you like them or not?

..........Widder

Judith Durham still has one of the greatest voices around 

Guest Grass Range #51406

Boots and Saddles, by who? Have to get this before the end so my wife can have it played when I am checking out

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm with you on most of them. I prefer 'City of New Orleans' as done by Steve Goodman, though. I was listening to 'Country Roads' the other day as well. You're right, it still stands the test of time.

Thanks Doc I had never heard that version. :)

My family has been singing and traveling for a little over a Decade , one Song we do is Amazing Grace to the tune of the Lion King...

We have also sung the Lords Prayer in "Swahili" while in a Church in Uganda,,,, they loved it ....

Jabez Cowboy

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Thanks Doc I had never heard that version. :)

You're welcome. He was one of the most famous song writers you never heard of. He also wrote 'You Never Even Called Me by My Name,' made famous by David Allen Coe.

Hotel California - The Eagles

Different Drum - The Stone Poneys (Linda Ronstadt)

Rocky Mountain High - John Denver

This will date me...:ph34r:

Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

I'm on Fire - Bruce Springsteen

Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top

Money for Nothing - Dire Straits

Satisfaction - Rolling Stones

Candle in the Wind - Elton John

Love is Strange - Mickey and Sylvia

7 hours ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Back in 1967, I was country before country was cool and belonged to the University of Houston Rodeo Association.  The first country song on the juke box in Cougar Den was Pop A Top by Jim Ed Brown.  Haven't heard it in years.

Other favorites not in any order are:

Gone Country and Mercury Blues - Alan Jackson

The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels 

Fire on the Mountain - The Marshall Tucker Band

If You Wanna Get To Heaven - The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Down At the Twist and Shout, Halley Came to Jackson - Mary Chapin Carpenter

The Silverton - C. W. McCall

The Unicorn Song - The Irish Rovers (based on a poem by Shel Silverstein)

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot 

The ship was over 700 ft. long, and the bottom was 500 ft. down.  When the wreck was found, the bow was upright and the stern upside down, so it doesn't look like she capsized. More likely, she took enough water forward to cause the bow to hit the bottom, with the stern sticking up in the air.  Then, like Titanic, the weight of the stern was too much, and she broke in two, with the stern turning over when it sank.  That song is the most spine-chilling one I've heard yet. RIP the captain and crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  Interestingly, a book written and illustrated by Holling C. Holling, "Paddle to the Sea" describes a shipwreck near Whitefish Bay. A Canadian Indian boy carved a miniature figure of an Indian in a canoe, which he placed in a stream near his home, with the inscription, "Please put me back in the water. I am Paddle To The Sea. Scribe in the lead weight on the bottom where you find me."  The story has individual chapters with large painted illustrations by the author.  The one chapter describes how a freighter grounded on rocks, with the stern sinking.  Some of the crew on this fictional tale survived, however.  The book was written in 1942.

Years ago, in the Engineering Department with a large open bay of desks, there was an engineer that rocked back and forth and whistled The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald in a blow out, suck in whistle through his teeth.  Day after day all day long for momths.  The whole department was ready to kill him.  Of course we pleaded for him to shut up but he swore he wasn't aware he was doing it. Then one day he suddenly just stopped.   And started whistling some other tune. :(

Trailrider,

I remember reading that book years and years ago and loved it. 

God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood - YouTube.url

Mine is a little more contemporary! Of course I'm a little partial as Lee Greenwood is my cousin.

23 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

A recent discovery of mine is Patches by Clarence Carter.

and pretty much anything by Johnny Horton.

My mid 20's daughters break out into North to Alaska in the car every now and then and their freinds are gob smacked, I indoctrinated them well:ph34r:

My youngest niece and I swap Blues lyrics back and forth and she can recognize some guitarists just by hearing them play a little.B)

Indoctrinating impressionable minds can be fun, can't it?:D

Back to the OP.

Runaway by Del Shannon

My Girl by The Temptations

I Heard It Through the Grapevine - I like the Marvin Gaye version best, myself, but Gladys Knight and CCR did it justice, too.

If you're a Blues fan, then throw in Born Under A Bad Sign by Albert King and Going Down by Freddy King

Sitting on the dock of the bay

Otis redding. 

The rose  

The river  Garth brooks

White Christmas by the one and only bing

On the Fitzgerald topic, i remember that storm. I'm a ways away from the lakes, but it was pretty bad here as well. That song always touches me as I was going through a bad time then.

A couple people mentioned Linda Ronstadt besides me, always loved her voice, it's a shame that Parkinson's has stolen it from her now. Now that I think on it, another's voice that I miss is Karen Carpenter's. I've soloed to their "Merry Christmas ,Darling" using my flugle. Another excellent voice gone too soon:(:blush:

Howdy

Now that yall had your fun....

sing along with me

bum bum bumm bum ba bum bumm

The theme from Mission Impossible.

Go  ahead youknow you want too......

more to come.

Best

CR

I was an oldies disk jockey during my misspent youth.  Some of the records I played were crossovers from country into rock and roll.  So one of my favorites from that time is:

Six Days on the Road by Dave Dudley, later covered by Sawyer Brown and the Flying Burrito Brothers.

And performed by me on the stage of the Apollo Civic Theatre in Martinsburg, WV at its annual talent show.  I won the "Light up the Stage" Award for getting the most audience reaction.  That was a lot of fun.

Randy as Punxsutawney Pete.JPG

9 hours ago, DocWard said:

You're welcome. He was one of the most famous song writers you never heard of. He also wrote 'You Never Even Called Me by My Name,' made famous by David Allen Coe.

I have been reading up on him.  Exceptionally talented singer / song writer that crossed over way too young.

Amazing how many of his songs are only associated with the artist that recorded them after his death.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  Many songs listed here that I had forgotten about.  I was disappointed that nobody mentioned anything by the Carpenters and in particular Karen Carpenter.  One of my all time favorite singers.

Many great tunes listed.  I'm partial to Pretty Woman - Orbison.  It Had to be You - many.  Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis.  Love me Tender - Elvis.  Little known is the Blue Skirt Waltz.  I sing that to my grandkids. Yes, they do enjoy it.  Puts them to sleep.

17 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy

Now that yall had your fun....

sing along with me

bum bum bumm bum ba bum bumm

The theme from Mission Impossible.

Go  ahead youknow you want too......

more to come.

Best

CR

5/4 timing!!!

Archived