SASS Wire Forum

Songs that never grow old

Widder, SASS #59054

I like listening to YouTube for all the old favorite songs.

There just seems to be some that have stood the test of time and whether everyone likes them or not,

it seems like everyone knows them and sings along.

Here are a couple I notice that I think will continue to stand the test of time and seemingly live forever,

In no particular order:

1.  I know I'll find another you...........  The Seekers  (I think around 1965)

2.  Puff The Magic Dragon .............  Peter, Paul and Mary    (?)

3.  By the Time I get To Phoenix ......... Glen Campbell   (just a great country song)

4.  Unchained Melody ........ Righteous Bros.    Probably won't ever be another song to top its popularity.

Honorable mention:  Brandi (Looking Glass),    Dream (Everly Bros),  I Can't Stop Loving You  (Ray Charles)

WHAT's on your list of great ones, whether you like them or not?

..........Widder

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gimme Shelter.....................Rolling Stones

Layla................................Derrick and the Dominos (Eric Clapton)

Slow Hand.....................Conway Twitty

For the Good Times..................Ray Price

I know, I have pretty diverse musical taste. Or is my taste all in my mouth? 

Driving through traffic earlier I had Doris Day's "Everybody Loves a Lover" stuck in my head. 

Dunno why or where it came from - haven't heard it or even thought of it in many years.  :huh:

My Way....Frank Sinatra

Smoke gets in your eyes....The Platters

Misty....... a million different people

Yesterday.......Beatles

Rawhide........Frankie Lane

"He'll Have To Go"  by Jim Reeves.

When thinking of my wife, I'll often find myself singing to myself, "Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone."  A song that never grows old to me.

My tastes are fairly diverse, Fancy by Reba, a lot of Linda Ronstadt's stuff( wore out two of her Heart Like a Wheel albums), Glen Miller tunes, Harry James, a bunch of Glee's covers, Whitney, Barbra ............:rolleyes::blush:

A recent discovery of mine is Patches by Clarence Carter.

and pretty much anything by Johnny Horton.

My mid 20's daughters break out into North to Alaska in the car every now and then and their freinds are gob smacked, I indoctrinated them well:ph34r:

I could write a very long list of songs "I think will continue to stand the test of time and seemingly live forever." I could probably break them down by genre and still have one heckuva list for each. I'll try this, though, and just refer to songs I've listened to in the past week or so that I think fit the criteria.

"Someone to Watch Over Me," by George and Ira Gershwin. Notable performances by Linda Ronstadt, Michael Feinstein, and of course, Frank Sinatra.

"Isn't it Romantic," by Rodgers and Hart. Originally performed by Maurice Chevalier, and notably performed by Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme, and again, Michael Feinstein.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps,"  by George Harrison, originally performed by the Beatles, with Eric Clapton performing an uncredited lead. I always fall back to the original as being the best here, although there is a live version performed by Harrison and Clapton that is quite impressive.

"Southern Cross," by Stephen Stills, Rick and Michael Curtis, and performed by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Not much to say about this one, other than when it plays, it always sounds fresh to me.

"Fool in the Rain,"  by John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, and performed by Led Zeppelin. I personally believe that nearly all of Zeppelin's catalog stands the test of time. My personal favorite of theirs is the angst inducing blues piece, "Since I've Been Loving You." "Fool in the Rain," though, has the lyrical twist, the amazing drum work even by John Bonham's standards, the latin rhythm, and more which make me believe that it is actually one of their most inspired pieces.

"Working Man," by Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee and performed by Rush. Again, much of Rush's musical catalog stands the test of time, with their later work being much more musically inventive and nuanced, the band's musicianship becoming more skilled, and with intelligent and thoughtful lyrics provided by Neil Peart. However, so long as there are working men, this song will remain fresh.

"Sixteen Tons," by Merle Travis, most notably performed by Tennessee Ernie Ford. Again, as long as there are working men, this song will resonate.

I could go on, and on, and on. But these are songs that have popped up in my musical shuffle over the past few days that came to mind.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

"Sixteen Tons," by Merle Travis, most notably performed by Tennessee Ernie Ford. Again, as long as there are working men, this song will resonate.

Love this song!

There is also a version by some of the guys from ZZ Top.

I cant see UTube on this computer so I hope this is the right one:blush:

At Last by Etta James

It Had To Be You by Tony Bennett 

Crazy by Patsy Cline

Unforgetable by either Nat or Natalie Cole

Guitar Man by Elvis Presley 

7 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Love this song!

There is also a version by some of the guys from ZZ Top.

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top and Jeff Beck. A tremendous version. I also like the version done by Eric Burdon for the movie Joe Versus the Volcano, although some don't.

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Unforgetable by either Nat or Natalie Cole

The "duet" with both of them is simply amazing.

Other Artists have done these songs but I feel that they were most memorible when done by the Artist indicated.

My Favorite Things - Lorrie Morgan

Country Roads - John Denver

When You Say Nothing at All - Allison Krauss / Union Station

I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton

Ghost Riders in the Sky - Johnny Cash

City of New Orleans - Willie Nelson

In Spite Of Ourselves- John Prine and Iris DeMit.

Rollin On A River- CCR

Lying Eyes-The Eagles

Horse With No Name- America

Country Boy- John Denver

Leaving On A Jet Plane- John Denver

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I like listening to YouTube for all the old favorite songs.

There just seems to be some that have stood the test of time and whether everyone likes them or not,

it seems like everyone knows them and sings along.

Here are a couple I notice that I think will continue to stand the test of time and seemingly live forever,

In no particular order:

1.  I know I'll find another you...........  The Seekers  (I think around 1965)

2.  Puff The Magic Dragon .............  Peter, Paul and Mary    (?)

3.  By the Time I get To Phoenix ......... Glen Campbell   (just a great country song)

4.  Unchained Melody ........ Righteous Bros.    Probably won't ever be another song to top its popularity.

Honorable mention:  Brandi (Looking Glass),    Dream (Everly Bros),  I Can't Stop Loving You  (Ray Charles)

WHAT's on your list of great ones, whether you like them or not?

..........Widder

Don't like to be too picky but I think your #1 song is  " I'll Never Find Another You." That is also one of my favorites along with  "Last Dance" by Floyd Cramer, "Diggy Lo" by Doug Kershaw, and "A Song For You" by Leon Russell 

And, for my last contribution to this thread.

"Amazing Grace"

The best rendition of this great hymn is the one performed by Il Divo.  After the piper's verse, the baritone.....'brings it home.'  It literally gives me goose bumps. 

4 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

My tastes are fairly diverse, Fancy by Reba, a lot of Linda Ronstadt's stuff( wore out two of her Heart Like a Wheel albums), Glen Miller tunes, Harry James, a bunch of Glee's covers, Whitney, Barbra ............:rolleyes::blush:

Thanks for the reminder about Glen Miller and the other Big Band tunes.

In the Mood - Glen Miller

Also

The Entertainer - Scott Joplin

Beth  , By Kiss

All out of Love , By Air supply

Paper Roses , by Mrs. Clooney

He Stopped Loving Her Today ,,,,

Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road,,,,,

Elizabeth , by the Statlers

Wolverton Mountain,,,

Jabez Cowboy

The one song that's always stuck with me yet not one of my favorites is 'these boots are made for walking' sung by Nancy Sinatra'.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Other Artists have done these songs but I feel that they were most memorible when done by the Artist indicated.

My Favorite Things - Lorrie Morgan

Country Roads - John Denver

When You Say Nothing at All - Allison Krauss / Union Station

I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton

Ghost Riders in the Sky - Johnny Cash

City of New Orleans - Willie Nelson

I'm with you on most of them. I prefer 'City of New Orleans' as done by Steve Goodman, though. I was listening to 'Country Roads' the other day as well. You're right, it still stands the test of time.

5 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Beth  , By Kiss

All out of Love , By Air supply

Paper Roses , by Mrs. Clooney

He Stopped Loving Her Today ,,,,

Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road,,,,,

Elizabeth , by the Statlers

Wolverton Mountain,,,

+1

I like all of these too.

Top of my list is Turn the Page by Bob Seger

Sounds of Silence by SImon and Garfunkle and I'm you Captain by  Grand Funk Railroad.

Everytime I hear that last one I step back into time to 1973 to the student lounge of North Shore Sr High school with me drinking a coke and eating raspberry zingers.

Well, here goes:

Racing with the moon - Vaughan Monroe

ANYTHING from Glen Miller

ANYTHING from Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey

Most of what the Andrew Sister sang

ANYTHING from Benny Goodman

OK - I am stuck in the late 40's-mid 50's.

STL Suomi

There are so many already listed that are the soundtrack to my life . I think we may have forgotten one classic "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"

Imis  stuck in crazyland

Archived