SASS Wire Forum

musket for hunting

Trigger Mike

As you may have read my Euroarms enfield keeps breaking the sear spring.  I may have found the part bus have not ordered it yet.  I'm leaning toward selling it and moving on to something else.  Cabelas has a Pedersoli Hawken in 54 for 599.  I wondered if that would make a good hunting musket for primitive weapons season.  I generally only buy military style firearms though but a Pedersoli Enfield is 1100 at Dixie gun works.  I figure a military style has a slightly bigger market since there are still reenactors out there.  I have a lot of 58 mini and round balls and a armisport springfield to shoot it out of.  I do not have any 54.  I also wondered how well a flintlock Pedersoli hawken would compare since it is on sale at cabelas.  

I have an early percussion .50 cal. Thompson Center Hawken I've taken a number of deer.

You shouldn't have any trouble using either of the ones in the calibers you are considering.

10 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

As you may have read my Euroarms enfield keeps breaking the sear spring.  I may have found the part bus have not ordered it yet.  I'm leaning toward selling it and moving on to something else.  Cabelas has a Pedersoli Hawken in 54 for 599.  I wondered if that would make a good hunting musket for primitive weapons season.  I generally only buy military style firearms though but a Pedersoli Enfield is 1100 at Dixie gun works.  I figure a military style has a slightly bigger market since there are still reenactors out there.  I have a lot of 58 mini and round balls and a armisport springfield to shoot it out of.  I do not have any 54.  I also wondered how well a flintlock Pedersoli hawken would compare since it is on sale at cabelas.  

Hawkins ain't "muskets".

Seems to like you just had some bad luck as far as Sear springs go,,, I had the same gun , and put well over 1,000 pounds of Black through it with zero problems other than needing to build a higher front sight .... Mine shot 18 inches high at 100 yards from the factory ....

I had cross-hair in a globe front sight on it and used it for buffalo matches out to 1,000 yards ,,,, I also injoyed shooting Gophers with it ... Mine had a large bore and I had a Custom "Lyman mould" made to cast a heavy skirted 610 gr. grain Minnie that I used over 200 gr. of Powder ...

Val Forget ( Navy Arms ) used a very similar bullet and load to kill an Elephant in Africa .....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived