SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Ubert vs Standard Mfg. SA Vs Colt SAA

Warden Callaway

OK I'll bite and probably get flamed. I've owned over 3 dozen USFA's, probably more Colts than that, and a handful of Uberti's.

To me there is a difference and I'd rather have 1 USFA than 2 or 3 Uberti's. The fit , finish, feel etc are far above any other

SAA out there , even a COLT!!! YUP heresy I know.

that said I've owned Wilson, Baer's, Browns,  a half dozen Jim Hoags, and currently run a stable of NightHawk Custom 1911's.

Do basic 1911's work???? Some do, some don't........ but once you've handled a true Custom 1911 you're hooked.

Same with cars,  a corolla will get you there but if you can afford a Shelby why wouldn't you???

I will give credit where due....GOD and the MRS have been VERY good to me....far better than I deserve.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I have about a dozen old Colts and I used two 2nd gen 45 Colts for 30 + years shooting SASS and I could sell them for more than 10 times what you would get for a Uberti that you had used the same  length of time.. A Colt is a Colt and all others are wanabees.

7 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

OK I'll bite and probably get flamed. I've owned over 3 dozen USFA's, probably more Colts than that, and a handful of Uberti's.

To me there is a difference and I'd rather have 1 USFA than 2 or 3 Uberti's. The fit , finish, feel etc are far above any other

SAA out there , even a COLT!!! YUP heresy I know.

that said I've owned Wilson, Baer's, Browns,  a half dozen Jim Hoags, and currently run a stable of NightHawk Custom 1911's.

Do basic 1911's work???? Some do, some don't........ but once you've handled a true Custom 1911 you're hooked.

Same with cars,  a corolla will get you there but if you can afford a Shelby why wouldn't you???

I will give credit where due....GOD and the MRS have been VERY good to me....far better than I deserve.

No flaming. It’s hard to argue against USFA  being the best single action out there. Not SAA, as only colt can be those since they own the trademark. But the fit and finish of a usfa is incredible and top most colts I’ve seen. And yet still I prefer colts. Why? Well the name sure, but usfa decided to go with the larger cylinder and window of uberti than the colt dimensions. It’s hardly noticeable at all, but I can feel the difference in the balance. So for me it’s just a personal preference have feel thing. That’s all. Oh and of course resale. The best usfa out there still won’t outsale even an early 80’s era colt

I just read through a good many of the comments made on this video on YouTube and many made intelligent points.  Then there were a number of comments relating to Redemption 2. I drew a blank and had to Google Redemption 2 to figure out what they're talking about.  I guess I've been living too long in the real world. :unsure:

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I just read through a good many of the comments made on this video on YouTube and many made intelligent points.  Then there were a number of comments relating to Redemption 2. I drew a blank and had to Google Redemption 2 to figure out what they're talking about.  I guess I've been living too long in the real world. :unsure:

I didn't know what it was either!

7 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

If someone asks nicely, I'll give a rundown of all my Colts and clones, with pictures... 

:lol:

Oh Please :D

11 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I just had to Google it (Google knows all) and who cares what wannabe video gamers think?  :blink:

BTW, 1873's of all brands are nice, who would really want one when they could be shooting Navies?  :D

Both beautiful revolvers.  Shoot what ya can afford and have fun is what I say!

Carolina Drifter

2 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

I just had to Google it (Google knows all) and who cares what wannabe video gamers think?  :blink:

BTW, 1873's of all brands are nice, who would really want one when they could be shooting Navies?  :D

Uberti, Colt and Standard care. Or they should anyway. Those wannabe gamers outnumber us by a very large margin.

10 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

If someone asks nicely, I'll give a rundown of all my Colts and clones, with pictures... 

:lol:

Pretty please

I like the comment to "shoot what you can afford" but I'll add to that, "buy what you'll actually shoot".

I know if I had a couple of Colts in the safe, they would not come out on a regular basis like my Rugers and Ubertis do. There is certainly no way I would work on them and risk a scratch or a boogered screw. Yet I'll tear apart a Uberti and replace springs and play like I'm a real gunsmith.

I appreciate the real thing and their inherent value, but give me the replicas so I can go blast some steel.

30 minutes ago, Johnny Reno said:

I like the comment to "shoot what you can afford" but I'll add to that, "buy what you'll actually shoot".

I know if I had a couple of Colts in the safe, they would not come out on a regular basis like my Rugers and Ubertis do. There is certainly no way I would work on them and risk a scratch or a boogered screw. Yet I'll tear apart a Uberti and replace springs and play like I'm a real gunsmith.

I appreciate the real thing and their inherent value, but give me the replicas so I can go blast some steel.

I own a few uberti's. I used to own more. I also used to own Rugers, but I got rid of all of them. I spent a lot of money trying to get guns that felt like colts to me, only to end up buying the real things and being much happier. The only uberti's I shoot these days are the ones that colt doesn't make, like  the open top and schofields. Now almost all I shoot are the Colts. So yeah I agree with buy what you'll actually shoot. And don't be afraid of them. They're guns and meant to be fired. I have thousands of rounds through all of my main ones and have yet to replace a single thing on them. Other than the grips, which I swapped out for high end walnut, bone, or ivory.

I've not got an argument with anyone's choice of gun to buy or shoot.  I could have bought Colt SAA back when they were under $400. But my monthly paycheck was $584 before deductions. 

I started out shooting my first match with an old Cattleman with adjustable sights and a ragged out second generation Colt SAA.   It wasn't what I wanted to shoot but what I had.  Once I figured we were going to really do CAS,  I started shopping for a pair of Cattleman revolvers in 45 Colt 5-1/2" barrels.  I found a matched serial set of Uberti Cattleman imported through Stoeger for $920.  I has heard horror stories about  how rough they would be and would need work, etc.  Both were just fine.  They shot to point of aim and needed nothing.  

I replaced the hammer and other guts on the old Colt and it works much better.  The throats are 459!  But it shoots my C45S loads well and to POA despite 165g 452 bullets!  Who would expect that? 

I'd like to find a match to this old Colt.   Just a shooter at a price that's not inflated. 

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

I spent a lot of money trying to get guns that felt like colts to me, only to end up buying the real things and being much happier.

This is probably a huge part of the reason I can't/won't/haven't yet "pulled the trigger" on shooting expensive iron like you have. I've never had the real thing and had even fewer expectations of what I should be getting out of these clone guns.

For me, they go bang and they generally hit what I aim at. I'd likely feel like you if I were in that position where I'd been to the mountaintop and experienced the good stuff.  Instead I'm blissfully ignorant and on the weekends I can get away with having fun with some $450 guns and it makes no difference to me.

I may rue the day when I pick up one of your Colts and lay some lead out in front of me. ;)

12 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'd like to find a match to this old Colt.   Just a shooter at a price that's not inflated. 

Howdy Warden

I love your videos. Not overly long and blabby, but you explain things very well, and you obviously have a lot of talent.

My heart stopped when that spring broke, glad to see you had more. I'll have to remember that.

14 hours ago, Johnny Reno said:

I have to comment on this. Although I have a few guns in my safe that are safe queens and never get shot, I have a pair of 2nd Gen Colts that go with me to every match.

The one at the bottom of this photo was very inexpensive, it had had all of its finish stripped off by a previous owner, and a few parts were not original. I think I paid $600 for it about 15 years ago. The one at the top of the photo is another 2nd Gen that I got for a bit more money, but being used it was not too much.

SecondGens_zps1cfdcbb0.jpg

Anyway, the whole point of buying them was to shoot them in Cowboy Action. Would I ever pay the money for a brand new Colt? Probably not. That is part of the beauty of buying used guns. Am I afraid to take a screwdriver to them and take them apart? Absolutely not. I don't buy guns as investments, I buy them to have or to shoot. If they acquire a bit of wear and scratches while they are in my care, that is part of the game. I kind of feel like I am just a curator of my guns, enjoying them while I am here, eventually they will go on to somebody else who hopefully feels the same way.

Buy an older Colt.  The screws will already be boogered. :)

Around 2001 I bought a 1901 vintage 7 1/2" .45 for something like $1100 or 1200..  It was a shooter.  Found out later it left the factory as a 4 3/4" 38-40.  I have put close to 3000 rounds through it, though only 2 or 3 times a year these days.  I often shoot it with an Antique finish Cimarron (Uberti) Model P that looks just like it.  I would not be able to tell the difference between the two by feel.

58 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Are the new Standard SA revolver parts interchangeable with USFA/Uberti, or the Colt?  I can't seem to find anything that mentions if they are, or not.

Well Standard isn't going to say and I can't imagine anyone has had to repair one yet :)   It will take a tinkerer to take one apart and compare parts.

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Are the new Standard SA revolver parts interchangeable with USFA/Uberti, or the Colt?  I can't seem to find anything that mentions if they are, or not.

Best bet would be uberti parts should fit. Standard has released the dimensions of their guns and they are identical to USFA/Uberti.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2018 at 11:04 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Why would a new manufacturer go to the effort of making sure their parts were interchangable with a competitor's?

Does Chevie make sure their parts will fit a Ford?

The nature of SAA parts and SAA replica parts is they are all very similar.  While some may drop right into a competitor's gun, there are enough subtle differences that not all will. Often times, a skilled gunsmith can make somebody else's parts fit into a different gun. Sometimes not.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:08 PM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

...I don't buy guns as investments, I buy them to have or to shoot. If they acquire a bit of wear and scratches while they are in my care, that is part of the game. I kind of feel like I am just a curator of my guns, enjoying them while I am here, eventually they will go on to somebody else who hopefully feels the same way.

This.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had to jump in..

Love Colt SAAs, have had several.

Ended up selling them to get into this game years ago, it was the only way I could afford all the other guns and outfit my son at the time.

Would have loved to keep them, but have had so much fun playing cowboy with my Ubertis, it was worth it!

Would love to have all my Colts back now just for the investment value.

As for the color case on Ubertis, I have read that Italians don't allow the use of animal products in the manufacturing process (even dead ones), so no bone CC.

The gun he is using in this video is the newest rendition of Uberti with the transfer rod safety hidden in the hammer. They have a new hammer and trigger and the safety notch is gone, so one click is missing. May account for some of the roughness. They look authentic and can be carried with 6. For the purist it looks better than Pieta and Rugers solution to the safety issue.

I think I read somewhere that Standard bought all the machinery for their gun from USFA.

Now if Colt would start making an Open Top, I want on that list!

My 1 cent worth

Asa 

This seems like an appropriate place to put this. Here are some photos of the new hammer pin system uberti is using. I didn’t like the feel one bit, so I swapped them out pretty easily. Sorry about the photo quality, but for a photographer I’m a hell of a gunfighter. 

7BA687D7-0854-48A8-91C2-81D7D18C43DB.jpeg

6D7A708C-8D83-4B05-A689-9C25249236AE.jpeg

CE92B827-ABCB-471D-821C-CCD06B29E3D2.jpeg

9EEDAE3A-8F35-485D-B1BB-8A8FE7C159A1.jpeg

08A71680-0D7B-4BBF-9F3C-24DE5E0D6B42.jpeg

2 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

This seems like an appropriate place to put this. Here are some photos of the new hammer pin system uberti is using. I didn’t like the feel one bit, so I swapped them out pretty easily. Sorry about the photo quality, but for a photographer I’m a hell of a gunfighter. 

7BA687D7-0854-48A8-91C2-81D7D18C43DB.jpeg

6D7A708C-8D83-4B05-A689-9C25249236AE.jpeg

CE92B827-ABCB-471D-821C-CCD06B29E3D2.jpeg

9EEDAE3A-8F35-485D-B1BB-8A8FE7C159A1.jpeg

08A71680-0D7B-4BBF-9F3C-24DE5E0D6B42.jpeg

I have read that only the hammer has to be replaced, but it looks like the trigger would also, unless the spur is cut off. 

26 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I have read that only the hammer has to be replaced, but it looks like the trigger would also, unless the spur is cut off. 

Yep it’s the trigger as well that needs replaced. If you order one of the old hammers, tuatvis if you can find one since they’re getting harder to come by, they’ll tell you to order a trigger too. It’ll add another $100 to the cost of the gun. Something to consider when making these comparisons. Still not colt, usfa, or standard prices, but not the $400 gun folks like to claim it is. I like mine a lot now though 

A558B497-5A01-4DF3-8BEE-AE9378529118.jpeg

5FD2F66D-1A38-48D1-976F-BE627A234B4B.jpeg

Archived