SASS Wire Forum

who makes a 300 gr 45-70 hand held mold?

I have a IAB Sharps that loves 300 grainers but doesn't care for 405s at all, any suggestions?

thanks

Looks like RCBS has one .

Screenshot_20181022-191933_Chrome.jpg

Lee also makes a 2 cavity 360gr mold. I have magnum research 45/70 revolver that i also do not care to shoot 400+ grain bullets in.

I have a Lyman 300

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I have a IAB Sharps that loves 300 grainers but doesn't care for 405s at all, any suggestions?

thanks

What diameter?

Several companies make 300 gr  RNFP moulds.  But not all of them are the same diameter.

another question, will I need to size the bullets?

21 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

another question, will I need to size the bullets?

Lot of guys shoot as-cast bullets. They generally pan-lube , so you wouldn't have to size bullets , but you would want to have them drop out of the mold at close to your bore size , but not undersized.

Good luck , Rex :D

so I need to slug it? or can I mic the bore? which I wud be measuring the lands?

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

so I need to slug it? or can I mic the bore? which I wud be measuring the lands?

Slug the bore is the only accurate way to measure the groove diameter.

You could also measure the diameter of the bullets you are currently shooting.

Cheyanne, I use a lyman 457191 bullet in both my 45-60 and 45-70. It casts at 295-297 at wheel weight alloy. I size to .458 and use home made lube. Iffn you want to try some before you buy a mold, you know how to git a hold of me. I would be glad to send you some. CC

3 hours ago, Crazy Cryder said:

Cheyanne, I use a lyman 457191 bullet in both my 45-60 and 45-70. It casts at 295-297 at wheel weight alloy. I size to .458 and use home made lube. Iffn you want to try some before you buy a mold, you know how to git a hold of me. I would be glad to send you some. CC

same mold here--makes it very comfortable to shoot

Just double checked.  Mine is an RCBS 45-325 fn-u    Shoots nice out of my Win 86 and Uberti High wall    GW

Archived