SASS Wire Forum

Custom boot makers

Chief Rick

I fully intend to be in El Paso fairly early Wednesday morning on my way to Tombstone.:D

Was thinking of stopping in J.B. Boots and/or CABOOTS.

Also thinking of riding down to Nogales, AZ and visit Paul Bond Boots if I can find the time.

I'd appreciate any reviews of the above makers or recommendations of others in that general area.

I'm taking my time coming back to the coast, so any other makers on the way home are also appreciated.

I can't wear off the shelf pull on boots so taking a chance and looking at something custom.

Honcho Boots in El Paso

Honchos are well worth the $$$$.  See you in  Tombstone.  I recently discovered a dress boot made by Tecova that rival any custom boot at about half the cost.  These are dress boots though.

I have two pair of Paul Bond's boots.   Best boots I've ever owned.   Both pairs have been re-heeled & re-soled several times... I'm about ready to order another... 

14 hours ago, MBFields said:

David Espinoza Boots. Phoenix.

1+ for David Espinoza in Phoenix.  Have one pair. When I developed my PITA disability, my balance became ( and remains ) SO bad I'd thought I would never wear them again, which would really suck, as they are the best I've ever owned,  and hardly got them even broken in a bit.  Got back to him a couple of months ago, we swapped stories, I showed him what I needed ( heel had to be wider, and far lower ) . He pointed out how the heel he makes is easily shortened due to it's construction.  Got them back the next week. Like walking with old friends, now.   Mr Espinoza is a gentleman craftsman the likes of which have become rare, and I'm proud to have a bit of his talent to wear.

7 hours ago, Conestoga Smith, SASS #18219 said:

1+ for David Espinoza in Phoenix.  Have one pair. When I developed my PITA disability, my balance became ( and remains ) SO bad I'd thought I would never wear them again, which would really suck, as they are the best I've ever owned,  and hardly got them even broken in a bit.  Got back to him a couple of months ago, we swapped stories, I showed him what I needed ( heel had to be wider, and far lower ) . He pointed out how the heel he makes is easily shortened due to it's construction.  Got them back the next week. Like walking with old friends, now.   Mr Espinoza is a gentleman craftsman the likes of which have become rare, and I'm proud to have a bit of his talent to wear.

Could not agree more. Has made one pair for me and they are excellent, and he has also refitted the others I had to my foot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got a pair of CaBoots last year - cavalry style.  Very well made, but somewhat sloppy in the instep, heel and ankle for my fit preference (they ARE a two-piece boots).  I think if I'd been able to be there and have my feet measured in person, it would have been a different story. 

To the company's credit, they have remade this boot twice.  They are still looser than I like in the instep and heel, but I can wear them shooting and riding without them flying off.  I may still have them taken in at some point in the future, but the quality of materials and workmanship is excellent.

Tom Mattimore (www.civilwarboots.com) also makes one heckuva good product.  I've never worn his boots, but my CW reenactor buddies have several pairs and swear by them.  Looking at the abuse they take, I can tell you they are well made.  I may look to him for my next pair.

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

• 4 weeks later...

On October 24th I visited CABOOTS in El Paso, TX and had my feet measured. On November 13th I had a box delivered.

These are my take on shotgun/stovepipe/cavalry boots with their roper toe, #11 wrestler heel, Vibram sole and 16 inch shaft.

Image may contain: shoes and boots

I wore them around the house for a few hours at a time over the past two weeks and then wore them out for a match yesterday.

I was able to wear these boots from 0530 in the morning until we returned home at 1700, shooting 5 stages and making a lot of trips up and down the gallows assisting other shooter's with their long guns. No issues with fit. No hot spots. No blisters.

Quality seems to be very good. The boots (leather) do not feel overly stiff (thick) but is not thin. I wore them with my spurs and the leather doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear in the heel area, though I did need to hit them with a good coat of polish after we returned home.

My feet did get damp a few days ago when wearing them outside after a heavy dew had set, seems the moisture seeped in through the stitching around the foot.

Time will tell how they hold up but these will be my primary shooting boots for the immediate future - unless it rains. I wouldn't have any problems recommending these as daily wear boots.

Archived