SASS Wire Forum

Need Help from the Marines

Smoken D

OK, here is the story;

I am carving something for a WW II Marine vet that was in from 43-45 that I was asked to do. My dilemma is which is the proper emblem that I should be carving? The one with Department of the Navy or United States Marine Corps?

Marines.jpg

Navy Marines.jpg

This Seal was approved by Eisenhower in 1955

USMC Seal

AFAIK it is still the official seal of the USMC

While the Marine Corps is its own branch of the U.S. military, it falls under the administration of the Department of the Navy. This close working relationship dates back to the American Revolution and has been affirmed by several acts of Congress. Marines serve aboard Navy ships and often train alongside sailors, and many Marine officers attend the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis. Marines have also operated under the authority of the Army, most famously during World War I, when the Fourth Marine Brigade was attached to the Second Infantry Division in Europe.

Marines have great pride in their division and regiment. You might find out which unit he served in. Not sure exacly what you’re carving but you might just use the EGA and his regimental crest.

3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Marines have great pride in their division and regiment. You might find out which unit he served in. Not sure exacly what you’re carving but you might just use the EGA and his regimental crest.

EGA is always appropriate even if that's all you know about him.

Marine Corps History: The Emblem and Seal

Marine Corps Trademark Licensing Program

Office of U.S. Marine Corps Communication

EGA first appeared in 1868. It uses a Crested Eagle rather than a Bale Eagle.

1925 version

Untitled.png

Below was adopted in 1936

EGA%2015.jpg

1936 version

post 1954 EGA. Now has a Bald Eagle.

300px-Globeanchor.svg.png

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

OK, here is the story;

I am carving something for a WW II Marine vet that was in from 43-45 that I was asked to do. My dilemma is which is the proper emblem that I should be carving? The one with Department of the Navy or United States Marine Corps?

Might mean something to him if you use the 1868 version of the EGA. That is what would have been on his uniform in WWII.

Neither of the two patches existed prior to 1954

Thanks everyone, I do have the EGA to use and appears to be the proper one. Don't know the guy someone else that knows I do carvings asked me to do it for him. Will do it in oak. Won't charge to ol guy, be my honor. Am making 5 flag display cases now when I have time to give away on Veteran's Day. But the old Buck or Doe will be calling me tomorrow morning.;)

I have a friend who has a computer controlled laser cutting machine that can cut it out perfect. It also does Edge lit signs that in on clear plastic and lit with LED bulbs in any color. I had my done in wood with Emblems I supplied and one edge lit sign on a Devil Dog. It's excellent work. Just sayin'

Big Jake

IMG_3087.JPG

edge lit dog.jpg

8 hours ago, Big Jake1001 said:

I have a friend who has a computer controlled laser cutting machine that can cut it out perfect. It also does Edge lit signs that in on clear plastic and lit with LED bulbs in any color. I had my done in wood with Emblems I supplied and one edge lit sign on a Devil Dog. It's excellent work. Just sayin'

Big Jake

IMG_3087.JPG

edge lit dog.jpg

Here is one I did for a friend a few years back. I think he was in back in the 80's or 90's.

Sgt. Orick.JPG

Finished the project. Carved in Oak and the size is 14" x 21". Gave it to the guys brother-in-law today who may give it to him either veteran's day or Christmas. Thanks to everyone who helped me get the correct pattern. 

005.JPG

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Finished the project. Carved in Oak and the size is 14" x 21". Gave it to the guys brother-in-law today who may give it to him either veteran's day or Christmas. Thanks to everyone who helped me get the correct pattern. 

005.JPG

Man, that is all kinds of special.  Semper fi to your friend... and to you for a job well done.

Archived