SASS Wire Forum

Black powder

Carlos Murphy # 873

It's way cheaper, and way more fun to roll your own, Carlos.  I just started reloading with a single stage Lee press.  Yes, it's slower than a turret or progressive loader, but I'm enjoying the process more using a single stage.  Find a mentor locally and take the leap.  You won't regret it.

3 hours ago, Carlos Murphy # 873 said:

Agreed Marshal, I usta load smokeless with my Lee Press for my .45's, I'll think on it, thanks.

Carlos Murphy

Well, there ya go! You are more than 1/2 way to heaven!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Plus one to making your own (though I have used Buffalo Arms when I'm short on time).  They shoot just fine. 

If you want to re-load, here's something that works for me (and saves some time and money).  I load regular .454 bullets (not BP lube) due to financial and time limitations.  A greased wad (cardboard or felt) separating your powder from projectile will serve to help keep the barrel lubed and reduce fouling.  I do typically run a swab down the barrel in between stages to give it a little extra softness.  Go home at end of the day, and give them a good cleaning.  No problems.  Interesting side note: I pulled a ball from a Buffalo Arms to examine their contents, and it appeared to be the same Meister smokeless lubed bullets I had.  Don't know if that's what they normally use or not, but that's what was in this one shell.  

When I have more discretionary resources, I may branch out to BP lubed bullets.  Heck, I may even cast and lube my own someday!

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

Well Carlos, if you do start to roll your own . Try www.whyteleatherworks.com for the best big lube, SPG lubed ,no wad needed bullets around ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IMHO ! They'll keep ya' shootin' all day.

Isom

1 hour ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Well Carlos, if you do start to roll your own . Try www.whyteleatherworks.com for the best big lube, SPG lubed ,no wad needed bullets around ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IMHO ! They'll keep ya' shootin' all day.

Isom

^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

PLUS ONE TO Isom AND J H Quick.  Bestest guy around for Big Lube cast, sized and lubed bullets.

I don't personally think there is a "good" place to buy loaded BP ammunition.  The Bad part is "good place to buy."  Good ammunition, certainly .... place to buy .... gonna be some expensive.  Need to roll yer own betcha.

Carlos,

One more thing. You'll get the lowdown on loading .45's from the guys here. Things that will help you out, such as, annealing case necks, using 44-40 cases, etc. I don't shoot .45, only the squint-neck cartridges. 44-40, 38-40 and 32-20. Have fun.

Isom

https://www.buffaloarms.com/45-colt-250-grain-rnfp-black-powder-ammo-box-of-50-amogx45lc

Retail

36.09 - box of 50

72.18 - 2 boxes 50 - for one match, 5 stages

866.16 - 12 matches

Reloads

21.10 - box of 50 reloads

20.60 - 2 boxes 50 - for one match, 5 stages (2nd box, cases free)

247.50 - 12 matches

Archived