SASS Wire Forum

"We Have A Problem."

Subdeacon Joe

I do understand something serious happened but I'm not quite sure what.  Please educate me.  Did the jumper have a panic attack and freeze?  Did his harness get caught on the side and hang him up?  I noticed another line out the door above everyone's heads.  Did the jumper before him hang up on something, causing him to hang up?

2 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I do understand something serious happened but I'm not quite sure what.  Please educate me.  Did the jumper have a panic attack and freeze?  Did his harness get caught on the side and hang him up?  I noticed another line out the door above everyone's heads.  Did the jumper before him hang up on something, causing him to hang up?

From the Youtube version: "

"A towed Ecuadorian paratrooper got stucked outside a plane after his line failed to release. Luckily his comrades then managed pull him back inside the plane before his line could snap - which would have been a certain death. A line release after the paratrooper was stuck, would have tangled the paratrooper. "

4 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I suspect I would be paying a little visit to the E1 who packed my parachute.

I would be packing my own chute...but then, I am not much for jumping out of planes.

It almost appeared as if part of his chute harness was hung up on the left side of the door.

Bad situation..Had a friend in the Air Force took up sky diving...The one thing he learned after some didn't, was to pull straps between legs snug...With the equipment in the right place...One guy did not...Paid the price...And you can not do anything about till you are on the ground...

Texas Lizard

Surely a grave situation avoided thanks to the quick thinking of those aboard the plane. :o

I believe the infantry is getting another volunteer. :P

22 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

From the Youtube version: "

"A towed Ecuadorian paratrooper got stucked outside a plane after his line failed to release. Luckily his comrades then managed pull him back inside the plane before his line could snap - which would have been a certain death. A line release after the paratrooper was stuck, would have tangled the paratrooper. "

Thank you for the explanation.

couple of points:

he still had his reserve chute which he would have deployed if/when they cut him free

hands on head was our way of saying we were OK and you could cut us free

most if not all troopers don't pack their chutes, they have riggers for that

in any event he was lucky (though he doesn't get credit for that jump :) )

Courage in abundance there. All the way around.

Archived