SASS Wire Forum

My EuroArms enfield failed me at the worst time

Trigger Mike

A few years ago the sear spring broke on my 3 band Euroarms Enfield and just as they were going out of business I bought a complete lock set .  Last year I took that lock set to a reenactment and a reenact helped me replace it and as he did the entire spring crumbled apart.  After he replaced it I set it on my safe until last week.  Last week my sons and I together shot 9 rounds.  We cleaned it with boiling water and patches and seasoned the bore with bore butter.  Saturday I fired it twice more and recleaned it again.  I wanted to change the batteries on a field camera so I took my musket with me just in case I ran into a deer .  I purposely walked real quiet there and back.  As I am near the end I hear a slight sound behind me.  I look and only saw brown pine straw handing off a pine tree then looked again and realized it was a deer (my eyes are old and not like they once were).  I pulled the hammer back and it only goes to half cock.  It does not fire.  the doe is looking at me but not running so she must not fully realize what I am.  It is about 50 yards or so away.  I opt to hold the hammer all the way back and pull the trigger at the same time, which means I am not fully aiming, but I want a good tender doe for my girls who don't like gamey bucks.  Naturally I missed what should have been a good shot.  she ran off gracefully into the woods.  I figure the sear spring is broke again.  now those parts are hard to come by so I wonder what I am going to do with it now.

Pedersoli has a 3 band Enfield on its web site under the Historical tab.  I don't know if they sell parts, but it's possible that a sear spring can be adapted.  If there are any N-SSA members in your neck of the woods, they may be able to help you, or you can go on their website and ask.  I would guess that there must be some Euro Arms rifles still in use.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Try egunparts.com or Dixie Gun Works

Yup, DGW came thru for me. Mainspring on my original 1863 Sharps carbine broke and they had a replacement. It wasn't new, so there must be a supply of these kinds of parts out there.

You might also try eBay. 

Archived