SASS Wire Forum

Strike on box matches

Put them in a ziplock bag with uncooked rice from a new sealed bag. remove as much air as possible and then seal the bag. The rice will adsorb the moisture and they may start working again.

In the future store boxes matches in a vacuum sealed bag with a little dry rice or fresh desiccant. Protects them from moisture even if the bag develops a leak.

They are probably not coming back. The problem is, they may light but they may break apart when striking sending lovely bits of flaming match heads in various directions. Guess how I know...

I advise you trash them and buy others.

Too early in the morning I guess.

Thought this one was about striking against boxing matches! :o

2018_10_18_07_30_33.png.70dfb05c1ae7ea317788c0cd02a2f7b6.png

I'll come back after I've had my coffee.:blush:

Howdy,

I have a few but you might consider a zippo lighter and a small can 

of zippo lighter fluid.

Zippo lighters dry out in about a month or so.

But the lighter fluid in a sealed can will work decades later.

I came across a metal hand warmer and lighter fluid from maybe 1960 or so.

Both still work great. I used the warmer when I had a paper route.

And the lighter fluid can have other uses like cleaning.

I bet no match would work after being stored in a basement for decades.

Best

CR

Ok, the matches will be strapped into small bunches and used to light my Halloween bonfire.  I don’t want soccer moms driving up my driveway... so I set up a table on the street with a bonfire and give away full-size bars, usually nestles, snickers, and butterfingers.  One year I did not have butterfingers and Bart was very disappointed, reminded me that I had it previously.

Enlightening video on the subject of strike anywhere matches.

13 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I ordered it but they said that because you recommended it, shipping had to go to Memphis, Seattle, and Cortez before coming to me.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I ordered it but they said that because you recommended it, shipping had to go to Memphis, Seattle, and Cortez before coming to me.

Don' forget Denver, Phoenix and Salt Lake City :)

No trip is complete without them:lol:

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Well. They do have their procedures

I have a Tedd Cash iron tobacco box with a magnifying glass in the lid and I carry a high quality steel flint striker, a home made tinder "rope" in a brass tube, and a dozen or so quality flints.  I also carry an airtight metal box full of char cloth and I have a compression lighter (fire plunger, fire piston).  I still have matches and a couple of butane lighters, but I'll never be without light and a cooking fire.

However, I would refrain from holding the tinder in my hands and blowing on it or else.... :o

551707333_HandsonFire.gif.ea10dc7d2610f532e1395f7d2bb6365c.gif

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If you have never seen one these are a great survival tool.  They can be bought or made.

I bought mine from a fraternity brother who made them and sold them for extra spending money.  U think I gave him four bucks for it becaase he made it of a piece of mule deer antler.  Most were two dollars and wood.  I've replaced the rubber gasket a few times over the years.

Some years ago, Shortcake worked part-time in Customer Service for a hunting/fishing/camping big chain store. The terminal there had just got internet access, so they could simultaneously check inventory and price check competition, etc. Store manager gave a stern warning that they were ONLY to look up things at customer requests. Well, another word for "Strike Anywhere" matches were "Farmer" matches. Well, one evening a customer comes to the counter saying he can't find any farmer matches. Shortcake says no problem, I can do a computer search and see where they are. The search for "Farmer Matches" returned dozens of dating web sites geared toward the agricultural community, with vivid photos. With the customer, other clerks and other bystanders shocked into silence, Shortcake threw a bag  over the screen and called the manager to the front. She told him what she did. At customer request. He removed the bag and started laughing to the relief of all. And the customer did find some "strike anywhere" matches in the camping aisle.

• 2 weeks later...

What I did here, I bought a pack of bic lighters that I can leave in a couple locations and a tin of strike anywhere matches, tin tin has a piece of sand paper glued to it.

as for the old matches, I figure I can always use them as fire starters for my winter bonfires, just tape them together in groups of about 20 and they’ll get ‘er goin’.

thank for the suggestions.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:13 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Matches are cheap, buy some fresh ones. Strike anywhere matches still exist, but VERY hard to find, probably have to order them. I have some in my bug out bag.

JHC

Both my local Ace and Tru-Value stores carry them.

I've seen the strike anywhere matches at gun shows. I usually buy a box, I have 2 right now!

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Both my local Ace and Tru-Value stores carry them.

I guess I should have added they are very hard to find HERE. Not exactly the shopping capitol of the US. I never thought to look in hardware stores.

JHC

Archived