SASS Wire Forum

Light 410 load

Hoss

Our club has a couple of youngsters starting to shoot. Will be using 410.  Looking for a light 410 load. Maybe 3/8 oz shot at around 1000 FPS?  Any thoughts? 

Sent you a message.

Sent you a text 

Rooster 

How young ? My granddaughter, at 11,  started with a shortened stock 12 ga SxS, 9 gr Promo & 7/8 oz. Depends on size & build. I think she was around 70 or 75 lbs.

About 25-30 grains of 2F black powder; trim the petals off the shot cup and just seat the base of the wad, add shot to the crimp level.  Very mild, even takes a lot of knockdowns down.

Might as well get them on the dark side early!   :)

I think you could get away with 3/8 Oz from my experience but can't help you with 410. We started reloading shotgun shells recently. I wanted to make a real light load for my little 7 year old daughter who is just starting and also thought my buckaroo boys could use the same load for practice (not matches) to save money (less shot = less $). We all shoot 97s (12 gauge). I bought the smallest wads I could find which were for 3/4 Oz and bars for my reloader in a few sizes down to 1/2 Oz. I bought powder bushings in a few small sizes. I started with the smallest of everything expecting to have to move up. The powder ended up being a little more than 11 grains of 700X. After putting in 1/2 Oz of shot I put in dry rice until it fills up the shell where it should be. Tried them out and was completely surprised! They knock down targets perfectly fine. Compared them a lot to the low noise/recoil AAs that we normally shoot and can't tell the difference in knockdown ability. They are extremely light! My daughter has no problem and likes shooting them. She actually keeps asking to shoot them more often. I have even been using them in practice and really enjoy them. I feel like I'm cheating to use them though. But I think our buckaroos/buckarettes will be using them for matches and everything. Not sure on the speed of them, our chrono doesn't seem to pick up shot shells well. Hope you can figure out something for 410s but my opinion has always been if they can lift a heavier gun the heavier gun will kick less. So we started all our kids with guns they can also shoot when they get older. 

Archived