SASS Wire Forum

Ear Protection

Col Del Rio

I have been wearing foam ear plugs during matches.  I need to get better protection to stave off hearing loss.

Are there muffs that work with cowboy hats? 

What kind of hearing plugs / inserts are recommended?

Peltor makes amplified muffs that fill under hats.  The ones with the lowest hearing protection ratings offer poor protection.

I think generally plugs can offer better protection than muffs. I still use disposable foam plugs from Macks that have a NRR of 32dB, but the highest I've seen is NRR 33dB. You can certainly double-up and wear muffs over plugs, if you can find a pair that will work with your hat.

2c,

Lobo

If foam ear plugs don't give you good protection, most likely you are not inserting them properly.   The foam plugs are BETTER protection for most folks than any of the muffs, and better than most custom fit silicone plugs, too.

Twist/roll up one end of the foam ear plug into a conical shape.  Reach over top of head with opposite arm to your ear side,  pull up and back on top of your ear to straighten the ear canal.  Insert plug as far as comfortable. 

Allow 30 seconds for plug to expand to fill the canal.

Good luck, GJ

Ear muffs will never give better protection than properly inserted disposable foam plugs. Ask your audiologist to show you the correct way to insert ear plugs.  Only way to improve on disposable foam plugs is to wear them in combination with ear muffs.

The reason muffs will never beat plugs is because your safety glasses compromise the seal. Depending on how much hair you have this will also compromise the NRR of ear muffs. The absolute best NRR rating I have ever seen for muffs is 30.  Yet most muffs sold only have an NRR rating of 24.

With properly fitted disposable ear plugs you can easily get an NRR of 30 and several brands will give an NRR of 33.

Most Reusable ear plugs are rated for an NRR of either 24 or 27

NRR explained

If you have not seen an audiologist I highly recommend you do so.

Have to agree.    Foam plugs are better than almost any thing else, when properly worn.      GW

I've tried molded, foam disposable etc.  For some reason, I just can't get a ear plug to fit in my right ear.  I've used these for the past five years:  

3M MT15H67BB Peltor SoundTrap Slimline Earmuffs, Tactical Electronic Headset

About $90.  They have a thin wire that fits around your neck.  The top of the ear muff still contacts the hat brim, but they work pretty darn well.  And for those of us with impaired hearing, the allow you to hear the range commands.

I see many people who are wearing foam ear plugs incorrectly. As noted, roll/compress between the fingers to get a long slim profile on the plug, insert into the ear canal and allow to expand. About the best noise reduction around.  

Howdy,

One other thing.

The intensity of sound decreases by the SQUARE of the distance from source.

So just taking a couple steps back from a shooter will help regardless of ear plug.

Take a look at what club range officers are wearing.

And replace any worn or damaged protection right away.

Best

CR

19 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If foam ear plugs don't give you good protection, most likely you are not inserting them properly. 

14 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

I see many people who are wearing foam ear plugs incorrectly.

I see plenty of folks with the things sticking out of their ears who apparently don't realize they go IN your ears. I have pards at matches all the time tell me I need to get my hearing protection on - I turn my head, point at my ear, and there they are. If ya don't need needle nose pliers to get 'em out, they ain't in far enough! :lol: OK, that's a little bit of a joke, but not far off...

I use the decibullz molded plugs with the foam tips. You still have to squish it and let it expand to get the best seal, but the custom molded also stays in my ear well, allows for a relatively easy removal, has a lanyard, and most importantly allows me to insert them the same (and right) way every time.

col del rio never said he wanted to SWITCH to ear muffs.  I imagine that much like me he prefers double hearing protection when he's shooting. 

Unfortunately, I have not found ear muffs that work for me under a cowboy hat.  But my problem is the geometry of my head.  I simply wear my hat too low for any of them to work.  There are ear muffs that work for some people though, so good luck in finding a solution for yourself. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

col del rio never said he wanted to SWITCH to ear muffs.  I imagine that much like me he prefers double hearing protection when he's shooting.

Don't read that he wanted to double up.  Sure sounds to me that just muffs (or something else) was EXACTLY what he wants to do:

have been wearing foam ear plugs during matches.  I need to get better protection to stave off hearing loss.

Several of us pointed out how he could be making a mistake while inserting ear plugs if he feels he does not get the protection that ear plugs can certainly provide most folks.

See we read the same sentence and understood it exactly opposite.  Not to be a jerk but a lot of you seemed to be under the assumption that he's just ignorant and thinks muffs are better than plugs.  I operated under the assumption that he's like me and wants to double up.  I'm not saying it was wrong to make sure everyone knew that the plugs are better than muffs only.  But it seemed like people were kinda piling on with the ignorance narrative.  Can't we agree that muffs + foamies are better than either one by itself? 

I find foam plugs sufficient (even after spending a great deal of my youth standing under the bass amp) but I'm told Tommy (Scarlett Darlin's husband) makes the best custom-fit earplugs.  S/be no need to double up.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:32 PM, MizPete said:

I find foam plugs sufficient (even after spending a great deal of my youth standing under the bass amp) but I'm told Tommy (Scarlett Darlin's husband) makes the best custom-fit earplugs.  S/be no need to double up.

I use Tommy's ear plugs and I guarantee there is no deed to double up with them. I have to loosen one slightly just to hear the scenarios when read.  I've had other custom ear plugs but Tommy's are by far the best. In the past I've tried foam, muffs, both and other custom plugs but Tommy's out do them all. On top of that my ears are not sore at the end of the day.

Randy

I see the poster is in Hawaii. While Tommy and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to come there and make you some ear plugs, that's not really possible since I did NOT have the winning SC Mega Millions ticket! :P If you are interested in the kind Tommy does, contact EAR, Inc and they will give you the name of a provider in your area, if they have one.  Help@earinc.com

Mahalo and Big Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived