SASS Wire Forum

Kilt, anyone?

18 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I assume regimental is referring to the old story about either a princess or queen inspecting the highland regulars.  She is said it have asked one of them "What's worn under your kilt?"  To which he replied, "Nothing ma'am, it's all in perfect working order"  Wish i could find that story again to fill in the name. 

I've worn a kilt for cowboy shooting, but I don't shoot classic or B western, so I've never had to deal with those rules.  I had some button holes sewed into my kilt for the tie downs on the holsters.  Then I got new holsters that don't need to be tied down, so I never actually used them. 

I'm reminded of a tale told after a Mess Dinner.

The Sergeant Major was approached by a naïve young lady and was asked "Sgt. Major, what do you wear under that kilt?

He replied; "Madam, I'm a mon of few words. G'me your hand"

Doing so, the maiden exclaimed "………………...

There's a little more the tale, but I don't want to get my knuckles rapped.

In our Drill Hall, there is a polished brass plate. Traditionally, on drill nights, everyone has passed over it to reveal whether one is "Regimental" as required.

A Challenge in the Mess, if you are found NOT to be "Regimental" means you buy the drinks.

24 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Our post ladie's  male friend wears a kilt a lot, even when riding his iron horse! He was at one of the company get togethers in in it:o:blush:

bet that gets interesting once the temperature drops a bit.

If you wanna wear a kilt you need to go to Dragon Con, in Atlanta.

They have the kilt blowing, using an electric leaf blower. This don't really show nothing but the girls in the audience love it.

On 10/14/2018 at 10:29 PM, Major Crimes said:

Aparently you have to look like this to wear a kilt:blush:

Yup that's pretty much what i look like but you can't tell because you do have to wear a long sleeved shirt.  Also, i left the sword in the truck cause it got in the way of the pistols. 

12 hours ago, The O'Meara Himself said:

In the Old West anyone who wore a kilt switched to trousers after they rode a  horse for the first time!

Now, as I recall, they did have horses in the Highlands...  :rolleyes:

But if ya HAD to, well... you could always ride sidesaddle~!!  ^_^

On 10/15/2018 at 1:21 PM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I would not wear my Kilt to a shoot as the BP sparks might burn holes in it, and I paid too much for it. Clan Lamont, with military pleats. Weighs about 6 lbs, the real deal. But I sure as heck did not pay 2800.00 for it, that is ridiculous.

That was for the whole kit, kilt, gillie shoes, socks, sporan and belt, shirt, tie, vest, formal coat, dress kidskin gloves, dress cape, sgian dhub, sock flashes, balmoral ca, , even a kilt pin for the Taylor clan, everything but a bottle of Scotch.

If you hold the Queen's Commission, it gets a little more involved and an includes an expensive broadsword with a basket hilt.

On 10/15/2018 at 5:07 PM, Alpo said:

If you wanna wear a kilt you need to go to Dragon Con, in Atlanta.

They have the kilt blowing, using an electric leaf blower. This don't really show nothing but the girls in the audience love it.

Apprently Alpo is a reader of http://thedevilspanties.com/

For all of you fine folks who replied “Not lately” to the title of this thread regarding items of clothing as opposed to acts of mayhem, please note the comma in the middle of the question. It lends the inquiry a whole new meaning. Just sayin’... :D

I was a a Highland Games once and witnessed  two women with small  mirrors, about 3 X 5,  affixed to the top of their shoes atop their toes.....just an observation.  The reflection might cause a procedural.

38 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I was a a Highland Games once and witnessed  two women with small  mirrors, about 3 X 5,  affixed to the top of their shoes atop their toes.....just an observation.  The reflection might cause a procedural.

I had a guy who didn't believe me when I told him what I was wearing under my breacan an fheilidh, so he checked.  He turned a very bright red and sputtered, "First time I've seen THAT looking at me from under a skirt!"  I rather enjoyed his embarrassment.

I've taken to telling people, "The bottom of my shirt, two socks, two garters, two shoes, and a knife."

12 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Considering that this is grammar optional site, I don’t assume too much by the placement or misplacement of a comma.

Good point! :D

1 hour ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

The reflection might cause a procedural.

A small one maybe...

• 3 months later...

Update: I’ve found a company online that sells what they call the “Greenhorn “ kilt for those first time kilt wearers. Made of cotton drill cloth and under $60...

Still debating with myself. My buddies and I are kind of in “I will if you will” mode... :D

I think of kilts like I thought of bell bottom pants. When they first showed up, I thought that was about the stupidest looking thing that people wore. I'd see hippie wannabes walking around wearing bell-bottoms and I was wearing straight legged pants.

Then, in 11th grade, I needed a new pair of dress pants. Nowhere in this town could straight legged dress pants be found. I had to wear flares, because that is all that was available.

When they stop making pants, I will probably start to wear a kilt. Until then I will leave the skirts for the women.

Go for it, Charlie~!    cowboy.gif

Kilts be plumb cool!  :)

Heck... they even have a place in the Boy Scouts Wood Badge program.  ^_^

On 10/15/2018 at 7:01 AM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

NOZ 

they DON'T be that much booze in MO 

CB 

lol

Then get ready brother!  I have my kilt with the sporan, socks, shirt and belt but unfortunately I misunderstood where the belt line of the kilt falls so the kilt goes back for some upward adjustment.

The thing that pushed me over the top is my Grandson, Bones Blanchard is marrying in June and we have recently found through DNA testing that we have a huge amount of Irish in our back ground.  I promised his wife to be that I would wear a kilt to her wedding.  The Irish kilts are worn with patterns that identify a county rather than a clan and are much more subdued in color.  Mine is in the "All Ireland" pattern because of the difficulty in locating specfic areas when my folk came from all over Ireland, were forced to the south and then migrated to Virginia then Missouri.

On 10/14/2018 at 8:19 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nope...I ain’t.

Kilt anyone, that is... :P

Me either. But, I have read some obituaries with a big grin.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:44 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

If the price is too steep, you can always use a working man's kilt, and get double duty from it......Thrifty, laddie!

144274183_workkilt.png.effdef3ca3fe12b2bbaf74c8f0a41f76.png

With a commie belt buckle?? Must be clan MacMarx.

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Problem with me is that my legs are so short a kilt would look like a full-length skirt. :blush:

Have it hemmed... or just get a mini to start with.  :lol:

Archived