SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Lawman Mays

11 hours ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Seems this WTC has gone all over the place. For a while there I thought it might be locked  out before I got the info to follow up. I had to wait for the Match Director to get back to town today to get a copy of the stage scores to verify. So here is the scoop. I was at this match and was the first time I had ever been to this Cowboy Club. I was spotting at that time during stage four and I was the first one to call a P for not holstering the pistol before the shotgun was fired. One other spotter also called this. When the TO turned and  said we don't  call a penalty on staging pistols here, he had momentarily forgot that pistols were not last until I pointed that out. A brief discussion occurred, over was it a P or a minor safety. The results as was written on the actual score sheet was a P. There was also one miss on that stage so the results for stage four was one miss and one procedural for not re-holstering the pistol. Mr. Lawman was accessed the proper penalty's. All officers did their jobs correctly and I will be more than happy to shoot at that club again.  Now, lets all shake hands and have a cup of coffee.

Just a clarification about laying the pistols on a prop. This may be done with the first pistol (first five shots for a non Gunfighter), when it is followed immediately by the second pistol. As long as it is holstered at the end of the pistol string, before a different type of gun is fired. It doesn't need to be the last gun. It is just more efficient when the pistols are the last  gun string and is usually only done then for this reason.

The key is holstering before another type of gun is shot.

Regards,

Allie

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS SHB p. 14.

"Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered) (in a safe condition) at the

conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs

otherwise (e.g., “move to the next position and set gun on table or prop”). A

shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type

of firearm engaged." 

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS SHB p. 14.

"Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered) (in a safe condition) at the

conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs

otherwise (e.g., “move to the next position and set gun on table or prop”). A

shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type

of firearm engaged." 

Read the very important part.

17 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I get the one shot reload. So if you shoot 58 Remmies and have extra cylinders or won many pistols you could compete?

Rugers, can't buy extra cylinders

Navy and Army Colts taking out the wedge is a challenge.

I guess just bring a lot of pistols, 2 sets?

Ike

19 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Colt Laredo, how do you handle cap and ball pistols?

Ike

I've seen shooters stage a third uncapped loaded revolver or change out one of the cylinders with a loaded uncapped one.

Both methods need to be capped on the clock.

Ms. Allie, you are correct, it didn't matter if it was first or second pistol staged, the penalty did not occur until the shotgun was actually fired with a pistol still out of leather.

Surprised no one said it was no call if he hollered broke gun.  Yes I know he didn't holler broke gun, but we had a long discussion about the stage instructions allowing the pistols to be staged when they clearly didn't. 

And on that point, I have seen a few stages where the pistols started out staged on the table and the instructions said to 'make safe.'  The question was asked before the stage and we were told that meant they could be restaged on the table or reholstered; shooter's choice.  On one stage I think he even clarified 'Make safe anywhere'.  The stages that started with the pistols holstered didn't have the 'make safe' verbiage at all. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Surprised no one said it was no call if he hollered broke gun.  Yes I know he didn't holler broke gun, but we had a long discussion about the stage instructions allowing the pistols to be staged when they clearly didn't. 

And on that point, I have seen a few stages where the pistols started out staged on the table and the instructions said to 'make safe.'  The question was asked before the stage and we were told that meant they could be restaged on the table or reholstered; shooter's choice.  On one stage I think he even clarified 'Make safe anywhere'.  The stages that started with the pistols holstered didn't have the 'make safe' verbiage at all. 

I'd just give the guy a SOG and move on...

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Why would anyone suggest hollering "broke gun" after firing 5 shots from a firearm that was very clearly NOT broken??

Just to avoid taking the time to reholster? <_<

I agree with Phantom re assessing a SOG penalty if someone tried that.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Maybe he's got a conversion and his loading lever fell down, preventing him reholstering.  Or maybe he only counted 4 and can't figure out why the 5th round won't fire. 

You implied that he didn't actually have a problem with his gun... Stating the painfully obvious does not add to the conversation.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You implied that he didn't actually have a problem with his gun... Stating the painfully obvious does not add to the conversation.

I certainly didn't mean to imply anything.  I'll watch out for what auto correct is inserting between my lines in the future. 

Stop reading things I don't write.  I'm perfectly capable of getting into trouble on my own. 

I put it into the same category as the stage instructions specifically allowing him to stage the gun ... which they didn't.  But we had a big whatif discussion about it anyway.  I was just saying I was surprised no one whatiffed that he hollered broke gun. 

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't we settle this two pages ago? Shooter gets a P per the manual. Why do we continue to spew "expert" advice and belittle those that present a different opinion?

The horse is dead, Quit kickin it!

In my 74 years of life here in the great USA, I have watched many Westerns at the movie theaters on DVD's and on TV.  In all those years and all those Westerns I have never seen the Duke or Gene or Roy or Paladin or the Lone Ranger or Hoppy or any of our heroes ever put their revolver down on a table and then go for another firearm.  Oh, I've seen them THROW revolvers  somewhere, but I think if we did that in SASS it would be some kind of a penalty. 

Three pages on the wire for something SASS members should know if they read the rules.  Oh, I'm sorry, reading the rules in not a requirement for shooting CAS.

It's like not knowing what's in the Constitution for Democrats.

I think the shooter should be tied to a wagon wheel while someone reads the SHB aloud to him...slowly. Then he should be presented with a pistol loaded with a single shot, whiskey, and a card that says the next reading begins in five minutes...make the most of it.:P

Archived