SASS Wire Forum

I contributed to the delinquency of minors

Trigger Mike

Today was the first day of Primitive Weapons deer season and youth being allowed to hunt with any firearm.  My 2 sons asked they get to shoot the muskets yesterday to try out to hunt with today.  I have a Euroarms 3 band Enfield and an Armisport 1861 Springfield.  They also asked to shoot the Pedersoli Harpers Ferry pistol.  They fired 4 round each of the muskets to get used to them and struggled to hit but the 13 year old did manage to get it done.  They then completely enjoyed the Harpers Ferry flintlock.  I then had them help me clean them.  This morning i took the 13 year old out ( I only take 1 hunting at a time mainly to make sure safety is followed. ).   He decided since he struggled to hit with the muskets to take the 1884 Trapdoor and load it with Goex  Blackdawg rounds since he has hit with that before.  After a while a doe came out, he cut loose and the air filled with massive smoke, then I cut lose with the Enfield and 70 grains and a mini ball.  sparks and smoke everywhere.  the deer got away but we had a blast just the same.  next time I will take the 9 year old and hope he does better.  today they tried out an 1860 army but got distracted as the 7 year old daughter wanted to come so y sons encouraged her to try a 22 revolver I brought.  she did and she is getting hooked.  

How So ????

By being a good Dad and teaching your kids ,,,, Not hardly !!!!

Teach them about guns and the value of life ,,, and things that you value ain't Wrong !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

Sad thing is... there are communities in this great land where that's exactly how these timeless traditions would be thought of.  Places where if the kids spoke of it at school, they would be punished, parents reported, CPS investigating... all sorts of bad things.  :(

yep, true Hardpan.  I made a point to tell my sons that years ago when I was in the army and came home that my wife's family had 78 acres near stone mountain north east of Atlanta, so I thought I would shoot a couple of guns but soon a police helicopter and 3 police cars and cops walking out of the woods showed up looking for me and asked me to stop disturbing the peace.  I added to my sons that I set out then to find my some land that I could shoot on which is why we moved to south Georgia.  down here we hear shooting all around us.  at the Christian school they go to even the teachers talk about guns in a positive light.  much better the further from atlanta you go

26 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

yep, true Hardpan.  I made a point to tell my sons that years ago when I was in the army and came home that my wife's family had 78 acres near stone mountain north east of Atlanta, so I thought I would shoot a couple of guns but soon a police helicopter and 3 police cars and cops walking out of the woods showed up looking for me and asked me to stop disturbing the peace.  I added to my sons that I set out then to find my some land that I could shoot on which is why we moved to south Georgia.  down here we hear shooting all around us.  at the Christian school they go to even the teachers talk about guns in a positive light.  much better the further from atlanta you go

My step Daughter is a dispatcher for a small PD department in rural Maryland new the bay. Lost of rich city folks have summer houses and other retire there.  They get calls all the time about gunfire and people shooting guns. PD has a policy to ask them three questions. 

1. Did you see them shooting at another person?

2. Did you see them shooting across or out into the bay?

3. Did you see them shooting across a public roadway? 

If the answer to all three is no then they politely explain that as long as the shooter is not doing one of the above that people my use firearms on their own property all they was as it is perfectly legal to do so.  When they try to tell the dispatcher that the gunfire frightens them they politely explain that this is not the city and and there is nothing the police can do about it.

If they answer yes to any of the questions then an officer is dispatched to take their statement. When the officer arrives he explains to the person that if they are not willing to testify in open court then there is nothing he can do.

Step daughters says that when they find out that they have to appear in court as a witness 99% decline to fill out a formal complaint. 

Baby Girl & Son-in-law's property backs up to a lake & Corps of Engineers property.  They have a berm out behind the house where they all shoot.  Problem is, they installed a hiking path along the lake shore a few years ago.  Ain't nobody gonna get shot, but a buncha hikers get upset from time to time.

Archived