SASS Wire Forum

Cracked shotgun stock

Rattlesnake Russ

I shoot classic cowboy and use a Cimarron 1878 hammered shotgun.  As the match today wrapped up, I discovered that the stock on said shotgun had cracked, on both sides, right above the triggers.  It is still in one piece but will eventually fail.  I'd prefer to just replace the stock rather than repair it, a cursory  search has turned up nothing.  Anybody have any leads as to where I might be able to find a replacement part?  I am awaiting a reply from Cimarron.

20181013_184430.jpg

In many cases if repaired properly it could actually be stronger than a new stock.

I've repaired several, its not a difficult job...........

heres a place to start 

A good gunsmith can repair that cracked wrist and make it stronger than the original wood.  (An amateur can repair one and have it break even more seriously and fairly quickly).   Your crack appears VERY repairable because almost all the original wood is still present.  Don't shoot it at all now until repaired or replaced, whatever you choose.  Brownell's Accuraglas is the common epoxy to use - because it lasts just about forever.  Sometimes reinforcing pins of brass or stainless steel are needed to add to a weak stock's strength.

Good luck, GJ

53 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

A good gunsmith can repair that cracked wrist and make it stronger than the original wood.  (An amateur can repair one and have it break even more seriously and fairly quickly).   Your crack appears VERY repairable because almost all the original wood is still present.  Don't shoot it at all now until repaired or replaced, whatever you choose.  Brownell's Accuraglas is the common epoxy to use - because it lasts just about forever.  Sometimes reinforcing pins of brass or stainless steel are needed to add to a weak stock's strength.

Good luck, GJ

Rattlesnake ya kin borrow my shotgun until ya get it fixed. 

Well, yeah, that one is pretty badly shattered.

Ace of Hearts (on the wire) can duplicate stocks.  If you don't find a replacement, he can probably fix you up.

Good luck, GJ

It is repairable. You will need to go to your local RC model plane hobby shop and buy some of their insta-cure thin CA type glue and some of the 1 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth. Dry assemble the pieces back together and flood it with the glue. Once it's set cut the cloth to fit on the inside surfaces and glue them in with the CA glue. Do at least a couple layers. For clearance where needed remove some wood before you do the cloth. 

16 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Well, yeah, that one is pretty badly shattered.

Ace of Hearts (on the wire) can duplicate stocks.  If you don't find a replacement, he can probably fix you up.

Good luck, GJ

Whatever you do. DO NOT LOOSE ANY PIECES.

PLUS ONE to Ace of Hearts.

Properly done, that stock can be put back together.  With the right Epoxy, the breaks will be stronger than the original wood.  Plus, should you wish to have a new stock made, it will provide a complete pattern for the duplicator.  All is not lost.  Any replacement will require fitting.  Your stock, put back together and then Glass Bedded would be better than new.

Coffinmaker is right- I've used Brownell's AcraGlas epoxy for many a wood repair.  DEVCON is great stuff - there are many variations in that brand, though, and I do not know if adding color dye to any in that brand will affect the epoxy ( AcraGlas comes with it's own little dye packets that work with it just fine, with that product ),

Unfortunately, a new hand made stock fitted to your gun would cost almost as much (or more) than a complete new gun.

MSRP is $579.00.

Good wood is not cheap. 

2 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Whatever you do. DO NOT LOOSE ANY PIECES.

Even a missing part is no reasons to not repair the old one.  A fair number of my old guns come to me with broken stocks and some have chunks of wood split off and missing.  I just graft on a new piece of wood and shape it to fit.

This Winchester 97 had a chunk missing out of the buttstock just behind the trigger housing.   It looks pink in this video but darkened after time. 

Bastogne walnut is a hybrid cross between English walnut and black walnut.

It is superior in strength to both and can take the hard recoil of the largest caliber rifles.

This translate, for cowboy uses, into a stock that can take much more abuse and keep on ticking.

004.jpg

after you're all done, you still have to figure out why it came apart,,,and take care of that with the new/repaired stock 

21 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

after you're all done, you still have to figure out why it came apart,,,and take care of that with the new/repaired stock 

The 1878 is a heavy gun and the wood in the area of the trigger is very thin. Constantly grabbing it up off a prop will cause the wood to crack in the weakest place.

It also appears, in the picture provided, that someone gouged out some wood to make it fit and then didn't bed back the excess space. 

In addition, factory stocks are the least expensive they can buy, and are usually kiln dried mixture of mostly sapwood instead of the stronger heartwood.

Repairing a stock usually makes it stronger in the area of the break but it takes time to do correctly. 

Looking at the pieces in the picture, I don't think I could save this one.

• 1 month later...

Back in the saddle boys!

Cimarron wanted $170 plus $15 shipping for a new stock.  I was offered a replacement for less and took them up on it.  On Nov 10 finally got her turned in to a gunsmith.   Told me they were 4 to 5 weeks behind, which was fine as the season is done here in Iowa.  Was called last Monday that it was done and picked it up yesterday.

I gave the remnants of the old stock to a fellow shooter up here who is extending the stock on one of his guns.  Guess I'm a green cowboy now :D

20181202_115459.jpg

25 minutes ago, Rattlesnake Russ said:

I was offered a replacement for less and took them up on it.  On Nov 10 finally got her turned in to a gunsmith.  

Who offered a replacement? stock? I did not understand

6 hours ago, Rattlesnake Russ said:

Back in the saddle boys!

Cimarron wanted $170 plus $15 shipping for a new stock.  I was offered a replacement for less and took them up on it.  On Nov 10 finally got her turned in to a gunsmith.   Told me they were 4 to 5 weeks behind, which was fine as the season is done here in Iowa.  Was called last Monday that it was done and picked it up yesterday.

I gave the remnants of the old stock to a fellow shooter up here who is extending the stock on one of his guns.  Guess I'm a green cowboy now :D

20181202_115459.jpg

Awesome, glad to hear it worked out. 

Getting a factory replacement is usually the least expensive way to go.

Make sure the stock is properly fitted to the metal and it has been bedded in all the important recoil areas.

It still appears to me that the first broken stock was due to our way of shooting. Repeatedly snatching a shotgun up off a table/prop is not exactly what the designer had in mind for any long gun.

Happy ending RR....It's a change to read of another brand cracking the stock other than an  SKB of which I have temporarily fixed mine ..just hope it holds  on as you can't find replacements here & to get one made is just 'crazy prices !!

Been following this post. Glad everything worked out for you. In the case of broken stocks, if you've got all the pieces ,,,,,,,,,, acetone for oil removal and epoxy glue are your two best friends. IMHO

Isom

Archived