SASS Wire Forum

Coffee the cowboy way

Larabee

Hello all,

Got woke up this morning at 3:30 a.m. by my wife to tell me the power was out. Got up and looked out the window to see the closest neighbor( 1/8 mile down the road) had power. So after dressing and looking around outside, found that a rather large tree limb had fallen on the incoming power line and ripped the whole meter loop down and destroyed it !! While waiting on the power company to get there, my said "how are you going to have your coffee with the power off ?" I replied " like a real Cowboy, i guess !" So i built a fire in the dark, got my old timey coffee pot out and boiled up the best coffee I've had in a month of Sundays !! No filter, just add coffee to cold water, bring to a rolling boil, remove from fire and toss in a cup of cold water to knock the grounds to the bottom and enjoy !!! The aroma alone is worth the time spent making it !! Try it sometime, it won't disappoint  !!!

I used a French roast coffee. It would float a spoon by the time it was done !! Just how i like it  !!

Mama used to make Hobo Coffee for the local turkey shoots.
She had a big granite coffee pot she'd set on the fire (full of water of course) and she tied the grounds in a little cloth poke, dropped it in, gave a short shake of salt (to cut the bitter) and let it set there and repent of its sins.
Best coffee I ever had, back when I was young and skinny, and Chili Ron is absolutely right.
The weather was cold, the coffee was hot and my world was fine!

The first time i ever tried it that way was when i was younger,  my father and all his brothers used to camp for a week at the Wabash River. We catfished with bank poles, trotlines and handlines. We cooked every meal on the fire and always had a large pot of cowboy coffee in the mornings and evenings.... ahh the aroma !! You definitely didn't want to take the last drink out of your cup !!! Always some grounds made their way into the cup !!

Archived