SASS Wire Forum

.357 or 45

Hot Iron Hill

Shoot .38 special if looking to shave time and save money.   Although some pards are "almost" as quick with .45 Colt as they are with .38 special, on average, it will save a good shooter a second or two a stage.

From what I've seen others doing.  But I've never shot a .38 special in a match in 15 years.  

What WILL, guaranteed, shave tons of time is good practice and good technique.

Good luck, GJ 

I shoot both with a set of guns in each caliber. Curiously my fastest pistols are .45s and my fastest rifle is in .357, therefore I feel I’m at my fastest when I use this combination in a match. But not faster by much. I think it depends first on the shooter, second on the guns and third on the caliber. You can make yourself fast with any caliber you want if you choose to.

I shoot full load .45's for the fun factor as a WARTHOG but as mentioned, it is cheaper shooting .38./357 and it is apparently faster..

It would exclude shooting Classic.

If you're at the top of the heap where a second or so per stage determines whether you're top dog or not, then .38/.357. I'm "upper middle of the pack" where there are often tens or sometimes even several tens of seconds between places, so...

Nothing like shooting "Outlaw Gunfighter" with a .45 in each hand and a full load of black powder under a 230-255 grain bullet. :)

I'm not fast with anything.   I shoot frontier gunfighter with 45s and 44WCF but I tried practicing with a pair of Sawmill Mary's 38s loaded with 38 Short Colt and it was just weird the difference the lack of recoil makes.  Also the balance of the guns were noticeably different.  

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
7 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

There is no inherent speed difference in the caliber of the guns. The “.38s are faster” line, is a myth. One mostly put out there by people who shoot large caliber guns but aren’t particularly fast. 

Well said, If I said that I would have been drawn and quartered. :FlagAm:

I can run sub 20 stages with 44-40 with full charges of BP.... sometimes.....

8 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

There is no inherent speed difference in the caliber of the guns. The “.38s are faster” line, is a myth. One mostly put out there by people who shoot large caliber guns but aren’t particularly fast. 

In rifles at least, I would definitely agree with the first sentence.  I think my Codymatic .44-40 with a full case of real black powder is just as fast as any .38/.357.  As far as the second sentence, I shoot large bore because I like them and I'm not particularly fast, but I don't blame my lack of speed on bore size.  They used to say that winning races was 90% driver and 10% car - I think it's even more true with firearms.

For me personally, the bigger calibers are just "cooler" to shoot.   But, I do have one main match gun in .38 S&W, and 3 in .38 Long Colt that I take out from time to time.  While they both use less powder than my .44's and .45's, they don't seem to be less expensive for brass.   Nor does .32-20 for that matter.  :P

21 hours ago, Hot Iron Hill said:

Afternoon all, 

By shooting .357 instead of 45 does it shave a lot of time on your shooting? 

No.  It's just cheaper to reload.  If you don't reload, it's much cheaper to buy.  More ammo equals more practice which makes you faster.

17 minutes ago, McCandless said:

No.  It's just cheaper to reload.  If you don't reload, it's much cheaper to buy.  More ammo equals more practice which makes you faster.

If you don't reload beware of .38/.357 rifles.  I have yet to find one that will shoot factory .38sp due to them being too short.  My 73 in .45LC works like a dream with factory ammo.

5 minutes ago, Major J Hawk SASS#107720 said:

If you don't reload beware of .38/.357 rifles.  I have yet to find one that will shoot factory .38sp due to them being too short.  My 73 in .45LC works like a dream with factory ammo.

Have had 3 Uberti '73's that handled .38's perfectly.  Do not use Semi-Wad Cutters.  The ridge catches and won't feed properly.  Marlin .357, I had to change the carrier, now it feeds .38s just fine.  '92 38/357 are finicky about length.  Reloading solves these problems because you can play with OAL.  Snakebite even developed a long nose .38 bullet just for finicky rifles.

16 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Actually, I have data to show that for a 10 second pistol run, there is a difference.  However, it's less than 0.20 of a second.  So while .38's are marginally quicker, the difference is meaningless in practice.  Transitions and feeding the shotgun are FAR more important than the negligible difference in splits between pistol shots.

I shot .45 Colt for years.  Only switched over after breaking a bunch of bones in my wrists.  .38's will be less expensive.  That's the biggest driver.

39 minutes ago, Major J Hawk SASS#107720 said:

You can probably put a ramp on the carrier of your 66' and it will feed factory rounds; or have a gunsmith do it.

14 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

.38 cal is cheaper to load is all.

This allows you to practice more.

If you have hand or shoulder issues, the lower recoil of the .38 helps.

OLG

PRACTICE....that's cheating with any caliber. <_<:lol: Every shoot I go to is a practice. I haven't noticed hardly any difference in my times between my 38's or 44-40's.

On October 12, 2018 at 9:30 PM, Hot Iron Hill said:

Afternoon all, 

By shooting .357 instead of 45 does it shave a lot of time on your shooting? 

Shooting either calibers does NOT increase nor decrease my times.

Archived