SASS Wire Forum

The Uberti 1876??

Slowhand Bob, 24229

A few clubs around here have a Cody-Dixon shooting category at monthly matches.  They can shoot a big bore repeater, usually 6 shots at targets that are 60 yards or more out, and pistols/shotgun are shot same as everyone else.

Hunting. 

My father's knees aren't what they used to be. 

Deer don't run too far after being hit with a round from the .45-60. . .

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

I just picked one up. Will use it for long range side matches. Maybe as a back up Cody Dixon rifle. 

There are also folks who run a Monte Walsh class along with the cowboy match at monthlies using a similar scenario with 40-60 yard targets and 5-6 rounds.  

I have been to matches that shoot from 100 to 300 yards. Very accurate rifle.

I have a original  76 in 45-60. And a uberti in 45-60. The uberti shoots just as well as the  original 76 .

The 45-60 was considered a express round. That means it was made to use a 300 gr Bullet.

14.5 grs of Trail Boss or 62 grs of Swiss 1 1/2 .

Once you shoot one you will like it.

20 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

There are also folks who run a Monte Walsh class along with the cowboy match at monthlies using a similar scenario with 40-60 yard targets and 5-6 rounds.  

Really?  I have watched the Tom Selleck version more than a few times and thought he was shooting a1886?  Or did Lee Marvin in his version use an 1876?  I was under the impression that Steve McQueen’s character Tom Horn used a 1876?  No arguing just clarifying my memory. Thanks

Monty was using a 86 carbine, Rafe Covington was using a 76 centennial model, in the movie Tom Horn was using a 76 rifle in real life he used a 94 in the latter part of his life. Always wanted a 76 but it would just sit in the safe with my rolling block (no long range shoots around) 

Rafe

I love to shoot my 45-75 rifle in the Cody Dixon matches.  I wish I got to shoot it in every match.  Besides, they are too cool.  In fact, I have been thinking about getting a carbine to go with the rifle.  But then I long ago gave up the idea that you need a reason to buy another gun.  Owning a gun you like is it’s own reward.

Monte Walsh did use an '86 in the movie.  The class was designed to be a rifle caliber class.  We also ran a plainsman class at the same time.  It was a fun diversion for a six stage match.

Thanks for the input, just trying to justify hanging on to my 45-75 version for much longer.  I have an even older model Billy Dixon from Cimmaron thsat has also spent its entire life as a safe queen.  Over the last several years I seldom even pull them out to admire any more!  Just thinking on it more recently.

Well, as others have mentioned, it can be used in various side matches, and at some clubs, in a specialty match that they run from time to time.

But, there is another reason why I'd like to have one.

Currently in my possession I have the following Winchesters.

Henry (replica)

66 (replica)

73 (real)

86 (real)

87 (real)

92 (real, real, replica, replica)

93 (real, replica)

94 (real, real)

95 (real)

97 (real, real, replica)

I need a 76 to complete my "Classic Winchester" collection.   :)

COG uses one for long Range Lever matches to good effect , his is the Rifle version in .45 - 75 ....

It is heavy and settles down right fine on the sticks .... I have seen him ring steel out past 500 yards ...

H.K. Uriah,,,,, you need an 1885  all so known as the Highwall ,,,, the you need a 1885 also known as the LowWall ,,,, May I suggest the first be in .40-65 and the latter in .38 Wcf .

Ringing Steel at 300 off the sticks is down-right easy and a blast !!!  with the LowWall and the lack of recoil makes it fun for Women and Little Folk ...

The .40-65 is used for the real long stuff out to 1,100 yards +++

Jabez Cowboy

10 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Somebody's telling me I need even MORE gun?!?

We're not here to disabuse you of that notion.  That's your wife's job.  ;)

On 10/12/2018 at 8:17 AM, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Monty was using a 86 carbine, Rafe Covington was using a 76 centennial model, in the movie Tom Horn was using a 76 rifle in real life he used a 94 in the latter part of his life. Always wanted a 76 but it would just sit in the safe with my rolling block (no long range shoots around) 

Rafe

They shoot long range at Ben Avery (ASCA) and Rio Salado at their monthly matches.

Archived