SASS Wire Forum

1911 mags that suck

Dantankerous

I received my two Tripps yesterday, and they definitely appear to be of better quality than anything else I use. I'll step outside sometime today and try 'em out. If they work well, I'll probably get 6 - 8 more on order. :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I received my two Tripps yesterday, and they definitely appear to be of better quality than anything else I use. I'll step outside sometime today and try 'em out. If they work well, I'll probably get 6 - 8 more on order. :)

I suggest you number them, so you can keep track of them.

OLG

Yep, and scribe my name or alias into them too. Hate to have someone slip a $35+ magazine or two into their range bag and claim it's theirs. There was a local shooter here who got caught doing that to another shooter a few years back... he dang near ended up in the ER courtesy of the other shooter.

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Please keep us informed. I'm thinking about doing the same and would love to hear your results as well as more commentary on what you think of the quality of the magazine overall.

I've used Wilson mags since the 80's, in a variety of 1911's and have had no problems with any of them; I own 30 of them now. If you maintain them properly, and replace the springs when needed, they work very well, because contrary to popular belief, springs don't last forever. I also keep my serious mags separate from my competition and practice mags.

JMHE

• 2 months later...

Finally found my third broken Metalform mag and went online to email Metalform about a possible fix/replacement.

Their web address is not working. Anyone have a contact number? I am coming up with nothing for a Metalform web page.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:52 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you have the mag body-you're GTG.

http://www.metalform.us/

OLG

This link does not take me anywhere useful. Has Metalform gone under?

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WOW-wasn't that way before......

I can't find them now-WTH

Their phone is disconnected too. :(

OLG

Hmmm.

This might just really suck. 

:o

Howdy,

Just try one COLT mag  with Tripp innards.

Colt brand mags are available cheep at most any gun show.

Tripp innards are way cheaper than the whole mag.

I stopped by an art store and picked up a pink paint stick.

Mags and brass get a little mark. 

Its a surprise how far some rifles will throw brass.

My brand sure stops a good bit of yelling.

Best

CR

I ordered 7 more Tripps a few weeks ago, in addition to the 2 back in October, but have only put 7 rounds through each of 'em so far. We'll see how they work when the shooting season gets going again this year. ;)

100_2340.JPG

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WOW-wasn't that way before......

I can't find them now-WTH

Their phone is disconnected too. :(

OLG

They must have heard that Dantankerous was coming to replace his mags so they locked the door, dropped the blinds,  pulled the phone out of the wall and snuck out the back. :blink:

I have a Springfield that is finicky about mags.Some won't latch & some will fall out when firing.

Largo

1 hour ago, largo casey #19191 said:

I have a Springfield that is finicky about mags.Some won't latch & some will fall out when firing.

Largo

Replace the mag release.

OLG

In Cooper on Handguns, the man mentions coating 1911 mags with a bilious green Teflon coating that makes it easy to differentiate "mine" from "everyone else's" ... no idea if that would do you any good or not.

I had difficulty with replacement mags for a Walther PPK but that would be a hijack and I won't do that.

Much good information here.  I listened with both eyes!

34 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Did That

Largo

Who's release did you use?

You may need to relieve/remove a bit of metal from the cutout in the grip frame, where the mag's 'lip' sits.

SA will fix it for free-;)

OLG

OLG.The local smith here put a new release in but didn't help.

It was made back in the 80's. My other 1911's have no problem.

Largo

11 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Largo

Worth the try of another release. All you need is a baby screwdriver to R&R the release.

I have had to remove metal from the grip frame where the mag lip sits, on a couple of SA, 1911's.

OLG

18 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Largo

Even having been made in the 1980s that's surprising, as Springfield was always pretty good about holding tolerances. There are plenty of el cheapo branded 1911 frames and slides out there that are so far off-spec you have to wonder if they were doing it deliberately.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You wouldn’t have this problem if you used a Glock, especially in 9mm....:P

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself...:lol:

Personally, I like the S&W M&P 2.0 compact, 9mm.

JC

58 minutes ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

Personally, I like the S&W M&P 2.0 compact, 9mm.

JC

Haha....:lol:

Hey, we're 100 apart in our SASS numbers. :D

After trying a whole passel of after market mags in every price range I stumbled on a gun shop here that had two large drawers full of Colt mags at $10.00 apiece. He said they were all "donated" by guys who wanted something more expensive.

I bought five of them and four worked perfectly.  I went back for five more and the owner told me to pick out my own.  I mentioned the one that didn't work and he told me to get one more and then didn't charge me for the sixth one.  

I'll go back and get more from time to time.

I'm not into exotic brand names as much as I am into whatever works best.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:43 PM, Dantankerous said:

I have had the distinct displeasure of discovering perhaps the crappiest 1911 mag on the market.

I bought them for Wild Bunch but wanted to show you all the terrible QC and build that goes into these.

I bought three and all three have failed with fewer than 300 rounds a piece through them, all factory 230 grain ball ammo.

Base plate failures each. The first mag had its base plate pop off while in my mag pouch on my belt. BOING! What in the world????

The second at the range... base plate came off and dumped the ammo, follower and spring onto the floor. So I immediately looked at the third of this trio and fond its welds were giving way, soon to fail.

I cannot remember where I bought these nor what brand they are but I am posting pictures of the two that most recently failed. Perhaps someone can ID these by the markings on the base plate.

If'n I was prone to giving 1911 advice, I'd suggest staying faaaaaaar away from these gems.

1911.jpg

1911a.jpg

1911b.jpg

1911c.jpg

Those look like  mags Metalform

They are usually OK Mags .

I never had a issue with any I have ever had.

I try to buy Colt Mags most of the time .

Rooster 

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Haha....:lol:

Hey, we're 100 apart in our SASS numbers. :D

We are indeed! I joined up in 1997 and have been at it ever since.  :lol:

I see you're also a fan of S&W revolvers...I have a 625, a 67, and a 617 that are just plain fun to shoot! :)

JC

3 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Those look like  mags Metalform

They are usually OK Mags .

I never had a issue with any I have ever had.

I try to buy Colt Mags most of the time .

Rooster 

Interestingly enough, the worst magazines I have ever experienced were Colts. Even worse than these 3 that came apart on me.

Several years ago I purchased a new Colt 1991 something or other and neither one of the magazines that came with the gun would even load. The springs, the followers... something was messed up as it took a 10,000 pound bench press just to get 3 rounds into a magazine. :huh: I finally got one magazine loaded with 7 and it would not work at all in the gun.  I contacted Colt and they sent me two replacement magazines, both of which were just as bad as the two that came with the gun. Not a single one could be fully loaded.  I gave up on contacting Colt again although their customer service was good and quick and just bought Wilson Combat magazines. At least I got some use out of these Metalform magazines before they all self destructed.:D

Colt mags have never been good ever since they stopped making their own in the early 1980s. Their first outside vendor was Metalform, then during the 2000s they switched to Checkmate. I still have some old 1960s and 70s mags that I use often, as well as some WW2-era GI mags. Far too many GI-style 7-round mags are garbage these days so you really need to watch what you're buying. Most of the complaints from people about 1911s being unreliable stem from the fact that there are so many sub-par 1911 mags out there.

10 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Colt mags have never been good ever since they stopped making their own in the early 1980s. Their first outside vendor was Metalform, then during the 2000s they switched to Checkmate. I still have some old 1960s and 70s mags that I use often, as well as some WW2-era GI mags. Far too many GI-style 7-round mags are garbage these days so you really need to watch what you're buying. Most of the complaints from people about 1911s being unreliable stem from the fact that there are so many sub-par 1911 mags out there.

For many years I primarily shot a 1911's .

Never had any issues with any of my Colt mags .

Maybe I just got lucky. 

I also really like the Ruger mags that come with both my Rugers I bought new.

Rooster 

I have 12 Wilson mags for IPSC and 9 Tripp Research mags for Wild Bunch will all work flawlessly and 3 or 4 other junk magazines that frequently cause lots of frustration.

Archived