SASS Wire Forum

CA DMV

LIke most Easterners, I imagine, I think of California as the mother of restrictive regulations.

Reading the Wall St. Journal this AM, and they had a photo article about a couple with a hot rod - a T bucket, more precisely - but more like a rat rod; dropped straight front axle, chopped and channeled

Chevy 307 with no smog gear; slicks on the rear; beer keg gas tank; no bumpers, front or rear; interior floor made of old license plates; no front fenders; no seat belts; no middle brake light; no windshield wipers; no inside rear view mirror; 

Now, I suppose that they ducked some of this based on the vehicle being registered as a 1927 Ford; but in my state, it would never pass safety inspection.  Even as a 1927, unless it's registered as an antique, you still have to pass safety and pollution inspection.

Can CA really relax like this?

LL

Yep. They are very strict on emissions but slack regarding other things many states have a heart attack over.

California is not very restrictive in regards to the items that you mentioned. There are no safety inspections on cars in CA.

There are smog checks and there are vehicle specs that officers can cite but there is no annual or bi-annual inspection that is done.

Yes they do. A friend of mine builds hot rods, batmobiles, etc.. and there are no smog checks, catalytic converters or anything else required. Pre 1974 vehicles are pretty untouchable unless they are pumping out a cloud of oil smoke. If someone complains you might get a “fix it ticket”. There are no vehicle safety inspections required for your car. There are vehicle inspection stations for large trucks and they are usually located at the ports of entry and other weigh stations and then the CHP has the mobile scales and inspections stations that crop up at surprise locations to inspect and weigh commercial vehicles.

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep. They are very strict on emissions but slack regarding other things many states have a heart attack over.

California is not very restrictive in regards to the items that you mentioned. There are no safety inspections on cars in CA.

There are smog checks and there are vehicle specs that officers can cite but there is no annual or bi-annual inspection that is done.

And Pat should know, after all he's headed to Califor-ni-a in just such a vehicle! :P

10 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Just don't try to sneak a tomato into the state.  They have produce inspection points.

After I went through one in ‘78 I felt guilty about forgetting that I had an onion in the van. What’s the statute of limitations on that?

Don't give 'em any ideas, folks...  <_<

The CHP used to have roadside inspections - they could and would wave you over, make you wait in line, then perform a "safety" inspection.  As the shoulder of the road was often sloped, most vehicles would fail the headlight adjustment test.  This would necessitate a visit to a certified Lamp Adjustment Station, where you would pay a fee to have the lights adjusted and receive a certificate you would then take to a CHP office to be signed off. Then you would receive a sticker to put in the corner of your windshield.  Presence of the sticker would get you waves past the inspection.

Sometimes they'd send you on your way if you were in line too long.  I was once pulled over three times in one day - got inspected on the third stop and sent off to the lamp adjustment station.  :wacko:

Sheesh.

We have yearly inspections, now aided by specialized "analyzers" that read exhaust gas composition; they also check all lights, ball joints, exhaust system integrity, tire tread depth, horn, etc.  MA statutes specify required equipment, including fenders, bumpers, windshield (with no cracks/chips), turn signals, brake lights, license plate light, seat belts, windshield wipers, horn, mirrors, etc.  

Years ago, you could sneak through at your buddy's garage, or slip the attendant a $20; nowadays, there are criminal penalties for rigging the exam, and so most folks are very no-nonse about it.

LL

Hardpan, 

I have never encountered a CHP inspection stop but I do remember hearing about them. I remember when the seatbelt law came into effect the CHP would do checks as people made their way onto freeway ramps. Also, they would do checks in individual’s cars at traffic stops.

CA DMV offices used to be a place dreaded by everyone. My last move to CA I was pleasantly surprised that the DMVs that I went to were actually fairly efficient and the people were friendly. Quite until the DMVs I encountered from the early 80’s to the 2000’s.

I think when old people started driving their cars through the sides of their buildings someone decided to do something about it. ;)

Do not attempt to register a motor vehicle that does not have CA compliant emissions unless it has more than 7500 miles on it. CA DMV will deny the registration and blacklist the VIN. Even if it is initally approved it will get kicked back once Sacramento gets the records.  Know two people that happened to.

One was a CA resident and bought a used motorcycle from a non-resident service member that had orders to a ship. 

Second was a CA resident that picked up Harley on vacation out of state. Came across a great deal in South Dakota that turned into a nightmare when he brought the bike back to the PRoK.

Also be very careful buying Chinese imported vehicles.  Know a few that bought new mopeds and scooters that turned out to have fake CA emissions stickers. The PRoK  invalidated the registrations and sent the owners a letter stating they had 30 days to remove them from the state and provide proof of said removal.

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ca. DMV is now a nightmare.

You can thank Moombeam for this, as he has cut the budget and closed many locations.

OLG

Yep just google the ProK Motor Voter program.  Wonder how many more screw ups they are covering up. 

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's very easy to reg a 49 state vehicle here. If, the vehicle in question hasn't been messed with.

It just has to pass the 49 state SMOG specs is all.

BTDT many times.

OLG

No matter the year of MFG any motor vehicle with less than 7500 miles is considered new when it comes to the PRok.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

What is Considered a New Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

No matter the year of MFG any motor vehicle with less than 7500 miles is considered new when it comes to the PRok.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

So? :huh:

Plenty of exemptions also. ;)

Never been an issue for any family/friends that moved here.

OLG

My S10 was bought in CA.

My wife’s Suburban was registered in Ca.

My Yamaha is a 97 

My Kawasaki was bought in OR but has CA emissions. 

I am not worried. 

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My S10 was bought in CA.

My Yamaha is a 97 

I am not worried. 

You should be:P-Wait till you see what it will cost for PRK reg......:lol:

OLG

50 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

So? :huh:

Plenty of exemptions also. ;)

Never been an issue for any family/friends that moved here.

OLG

But it really sucks when you buy a 10 year old bike with a couple thousand miles on it in like new condition and when you get home you find out you cannot keep it because the PRoK consideres it a new vehicle that must have a CA emissions sticker. :o

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

But it really sucks when you buy a 10 year old bike with a couple thousand miles on it in like new condition and when you get home you find out you cannot keep it because the PRoK consideres it a new vehicle that must have a CA emissions sticker. :o

IF the bike was first registered in another state, you're GTG.

Same goes for all vehicles here.

OLG

49 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My S10 was bought in CA.

My Yamaha is a 97 

I am not worried. 

Yeah, Pat old buddy are you in for a SURPRISE when you go to register all of those vehicles. Chances are the S10 won’t pass the smog test and the registration fees have gone through the roof. I bought a 11 year old travel trailer in June and did the transfer and paid the sales tax and that total was $1,400.00 and then paid another $276.00 in September to register it for a year. The PRK screws you every way they can unless of course you’re an illegal alien.

28 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

IF the bike was first registered in another state, you're GTG.

Same goes for all vehicles here.

OLG

Only if you are moving there from out of state and even then they will hassel you if the car is less than 6 months old. Several new hires at China Lake that bought new cars with their hiring bonus got harrassed and had to fight the DMV if they came from out of state. Got so bad that it baceme part of the hiring process to warn new hires about it.   

If you are a CA resident and buy a 1974 or newer vehicle that has less than 7500 miles, it has to have a CA compliant emissions sticker.  The reason for the 1974 date is that is the first year that CA had their own emissions standard.

What is Considered a New Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yul-Why didn't you get the permanent trailer plates, with the 5 yr registration?

OLG

I did in September but when I went in to do the transfer they wouldn’t let me because the registration and stickers was only good until September. So now it’s registered for 5 years.

Archived