SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1886 Replica

yo1dog

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha the seller got a little upset that I would dare question him:

Mike did you look at the pictures in the add? Do you think i'm going to list a model that does not exist. THE RIFLE IS AN UBERTI IMPORTED BY STOEGER ARMS. THE BOX SAYS DELUXE MODEL 1886. THE DELUXE MODEL HAS HIGH GRADE WOOD,HIGH POLISH BLUE,AND CHECKERED FOREND AND PISTOL GRIP. READ THE ADD CAREFULLY

First of, it's ad not add. Second, as I told him in my email, I can not find a single reference to a Uberti 1886 "Deluxe" model. :rolleyes:

I would love to have an 86. The price is stopping me.  The 1895 Marlin works well. ( I have 2) They will not run fast. My iron sighted cowboy version will put 4 round in about a 3" group at 50 yards using light loads with 2400 and 405's. They don't thump much. I also have been known to load 52 grs of 3031 behind a 400gr speer jacketed soft point. Now that is a shoulder thumper.

There is a difference in felt recoil between different rifles.  The light loads are really gentile in the trapdoor. The heavy loads thump harder in the cowboy with the straight stock as opposed to the standard 1985 with the pistol grip stock.

(no I don't use the heavy loads in the trapdoor) 

So, is it a faux pas to ask sellers for pictures? Sometimes they send them (great!), sometimes they say they can't because the guns are in storage or the profit margin doesn't justify the time (understandable, no problem at all), and sometimes they get all grumpy and annoyed. I would expect that people generally want to know exactly what they are getting when it comes to the fancier wood. There is certainly a lot of variation even within the same grades. Plus, what looks great to some may look bad to others.

Am I being too picky here? It be one thing if we were talking about a $500 rifle, but $1500 is a lot of money (at least, to me it is)!

Id

1 hour ago, yo1dog said:

I am getting dangerously close to buying this:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785133009

It's just so damn pretty. :mellow:

I've already talked with Goatneck about removing the rebounding hammer and tang safety.

If you want the Miroku over the Uberti/Pedersoli I would recommend holding out for a Browning one.  It just doesn't make sense to buy a gun with a bunch of worthless features and then immediately send it off to have them disabled.  

6 hours ago, yo1dog said:

I am looking at this Uberti for $1,025 + shipping:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/786395944

Seems like a good deal. He lists it as a "Uberti 1886 deluxe" but I am not sure what the "deluxe" refers to. Listed as new, unfired, and in original box. A peep sight is mounted to the top. Wood doesn't look like anything to write home about. The seller has sold only a few things on GunBroker but has all positive feedback.

Hmmm.

A fair price, but I do not think that is a factory new rifle as the seller suggests.  The barrel sight has been replaced with a blank and the receiver peep sight looks like an aftermarket Skinner.  Nice peep sight, but not legal for SASS.

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP-You need to handle a '86 before lay'n down the 'green'.

Would you buy a car, without a test drive?

OLG

Good point!  Yo1dog If you can make it to Comfort to shoot with the Texican Rangers you are welcome to handle both my Brownings and even shoot them if the long range is open.  The 45-70 can be loaded mild to wild and the 86 will handle loads better than your shoulder.

1 hour ago, yo1dog said:

Yes but it is a Miroku Winchester not a Uberti/Pedersoli.

True, but I have had both.  Unless you're absolutely sure you want a Winchester/Miroku, quality wise they're close enough that there is no practical difference.  The Pedersoli Sporting Rifle has the benefit of a shotgun Butt plate, which helps with recoil.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP-You need to handle a '86 before lay'n down the 'green'.

Would you buy a car, without a test drive?

OLG

That's great advice. But, it's too late.

That's right, it's done folks. Buy once, cry once. And boy is my wallet crying! But I am very excited! I've written it off as a birthday and Christmas present for myself to justify my... frivolous spending. If I ignored your advice, I mean no disrespect. I appreciate it but I just couldn't help myself. It may not have been the best deal ever or the smartest purchase.

Either way, this beautiful Winchester 1886 well soon be headed my way!

$1725 shipped.
pix918016270.jpg

38 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The Pedersoli Sporting Rifle has the benefit of a shotgun Butt plate, which helps with recoil.

Ain't that the truth.  When I first got my Browning rifle I was excited to learn it could handle the "Marlin" or 2nd level loads listed in most reloading manuals.  I loaded up a 20rd box of ammo from that section and fired 3 rounds!  I loath knocking down reloads, but I knocked down the remaining 17 and stuck with "trapdoor" level loads ever since.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804 said:

....  The light loads are really gentile......

And the heavy loads are kosher?

:D

Regarding the recoil, this may be just ignorant young whippersnapper talk, but I figured if an afternoon of sporting clays with a 12ga doesn't bother me much, 45-70 shouldn't be too bad. I'll find out soon enough.

20 minutes ago, yo1dog said:

Regarding the recoil, this may be just ignorant young whippersnapper talk, but I figured if an afternoon of sporting clays with a 12ga doesn't bother me much, 45-70 shouldn't be too bad. I'll find out soon enough.

I've never fired factory 45-70 ammo, but my trapdoor level hunting load is a 405gr paper patched bullet moving at about 1400fps.  5 or 6 rounds isn't bad, but that steel pad will make you think twice about burning up a box or two of ammo.

5A087775-4BA8-44B1-8F51-DBA0218A29AE.jpeg

60BB9FDE-E757-4141-94F6-AA6CFF9C8C11.jpeg

48 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bet your SG has a nice soft recoil pad on it too. :lol:

That crescent shaped steel butt-plate on the '86 ain't ever gonna be your friend. ;)

BTDT 

OLG

A slip on Limbsaver recoil pad is your friend. I KNOW from shooting my Miroku Winchester 1886. Shot it prong at a match, then kneeling and then off hand, 10 shots from each position. My shoulder was black and blue for a month, plus it was hard to shoot the rest of the match with my rifle and shotgun, a 2 day cowboy match. I then put the recoil pad on, Hugh difference.

Here's something funny: Remember the seller of that Uberti that was rude and unprofessional? Well he admitted that the Uberti 1886 "Deluxe" was renamed to the Uberti 1886 Sporting Rifle a while ago which was why you can't find any information on it. I told him I had already purchased another rifle, and he was not happy.

Unfortunately, I already bid on a Winchester 1886. I appreciate the information and follow up, though.

your welcome,but  i honestly doubt you made a better deal on any Winchester 1886 or even bid on one.

Yea, it defiantly was not a better deal. But I just loved the way it looked! Call it love at first sight haha

i call it bullshit

lol Good for you.

It saddens me that Gun Broker has as many tire kickers like you as they have guns for sale.You take pride in wasting sellers time with e-mails when you know your not going to bid or purchase their items. Did you honestly
think i believe you purchased another 1886 because you liked the way it looked? The really sad thing is that you have nothing better to do with your time and you certainly believe your attitude and actions are justified in your
immature mind.Be advised i have notified GB that i have blocked you from bidding on any other firearms i list. Now i'm sure you don't care as you have a great selection of other sellers you can bother. My goal here is not to
educate you,once an ass always an ass but just to inform you that you need to grow up.HA HA HA .My last e-mail.

Getting additional information about an ad in order to make a fully informed decision is wasting time?

I did not bid on your gun for several reasons:

1.     As we discussed, I was not able to find any information on "Uberti 1886 Deluxe". I placed my bid after your third email when you insisted I was wrong and before your fourth when you admitted you were wrong.
  2.     The combination of the unprofessional looking ad (bad pictures, bad grammar, little to no information) and the seemingly too-good-to-be-true price seemed suspicious.
  3.     Your third email was rude and you did not seem like someone I would want to do business with.
  4.     I came across a listing for a Winchester 1886 that had much nicer wood and looked much nicer which I bid on and won: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785133009

I suggest putting all the info you shared with me on the ad. That way, if someone has the same questions (like what the "deluxe" model is or why the price is so low) they won't have to "waste" time emailing you to ask.

I'm not sure why you think asking relevant questions about an ad is deliberately wasting time. Regardless, this little temper tantrum you are throwing because I didn't buy your gun is immature and unprofessional. I'd bet if Gun Broker were to review this exchange they would find fault with you, not me.

You ended your email by calling me an ass, telling me to grow up, and "HA HA HA". Talk about hypocrisy!

I know shouldn't have included those last two paragraphs (or probably responded at all), but I couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

Archived