SASS Wire Forum

What's the best B Western rifle?

Major J Hawk SASS#107720

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McCandless said:

I see, the opinions of the lowest SASS number is what counts most.  Why didn't folks tell me??  Obviously, I shan't speak again.

Not at all but please don't make statements citing vast experience while discounting another's opinion who may have more experience. 

I value Phantom's comments as a general rule because he does have a lot of valuable information and insightful comments to share but opinions are not absolute and some are inherently flawed.  I provided my reasoning for my opinion and choice while Phantom did not. 

Deuce provided a very good comment and supported it with a detailed explanation.  That's all I asked for in the beginning of the brawl.

When the OP requested opinions, he got them.  Of course the free for all barroom fight was a freebie :D.

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Not at all but please don't make statements citing vast experience while discounting another's opinion who may have more experience. 

I value Phantom's comments as a general rule because he does have a lot of valuable information and insightful comments to share but opinions are not absolute and some are inherently flawed.  I provided my reasoning for my opinion and choice while Phantom did not. 

Deuce provided a very good comment and supported it with a detailed explanation.  That's all I asked for in the beginning of the brawl.

When the OP requested opinions, he got them.  Of course the free for all barroom fight was a freebie :D.

I didn't????

Okay...

Selective reading at its best. ;)

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I didn't????

Okay...

Selective reading at its best. ;)

Let's see, you first said the choice of the '92 was a terrible mistake.  I asked you to support that comment however you did not reply.  Then you started polling on the best and got an almost 50/50 split between the two.  Then it was, Why aren't the top B-Western folks using the '92?  

I'm sorry, not selective reading, just wanting an answer to a question.  

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Let's see, you first said the choice of the '92 was a terrible mistake.  I asked you to support that comment however you did not reply.  Then you started polling on the best and got an almost 50/50 split between the two.  Then it was, Why aren't the top B-Western folks using the '92?  

I'm sorry, not selective reading, just wanting an answer to a question.  

Geeze... Want to know what works best in competitions, see what the best use.

I've participated in a lot of different competitions in my life... And this rule holds true. 

I'm sorry my support of my position is so basic... Not requiring a multitude of paragraphs... Which apparently you require.

19 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Geeze... Want to know what works best in competitions, see what the best use.

I've participated in a lot of different competitions in my life... And this rule holds true. 

I'm sorry my support of my position is so basic... Not requiring a multitude of paragraphs... Which apparently you require.

Doing what others do without understanding the why is called the sheep syndrome where I come from.  I am not a sheep and want to know why. 

You could have simply answered the question like Deuce.

• The Marlin has a shorter stroke for speed
  • The Marlin has more race parts available
  • There are more smiths able to race a Marlin
  • Ergonomics of the Marlin allow for less sight drift
  • Personal experience gives the edge to the Marlin

I will admit that my personal experience with the Marlin is limited, but I can definitely run a Winchester 92 slightly faster.  The main reason why, is pretty simple.  I shoot left handed, and I find the hot gasses and the occasional piece of brass hitting my forearm unpleasant and distracting enough to cause me to pause after every shot.  I don't have that problem with a 92.  Or a 73, 66, Henry, or Spencer.

I am fastest with a Lightning.

But, looking back to the whole B-Western shooting category, if/when I get around to giving that category a try, I'll most likely go with my large loop 92 cuz to me, that's what screams, "I am a B-Western gun" more than anything else.   I'll never be a top tier shooter anyway, so I may as well have fun.

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I answered questions, you just don't like the way I did it.

Do you travel much to matches?

Actually I get around quite a bit, even to Texas from time to time.  I saw you at Hell on Wheels as a matter of fact.

I really want to thank everyone for their responses.  Even the internet cat fight was entertaining and certainly informative.  I am serious about getting both.  I'm already picking up a Rossi 92 in Tennessee this weekend and I have a line on a Widder modified Marlin.  Oh, did I mention I picked up a Winchester 73 in .45 Colt today on the way to the farm?  I know it's not B Western but it's good for Wild Bunch. 

When I commit to a new hobby I really commit.

25 minutes ago, Major J Hawk SASS#107720 said:

I really want to thank everyone for their responses.  Even the internet cat fight was entertaining and certainly informative.  I am serious about getting both.  I'm already picking up a Rossi 92 in Tennessee this weekend and I have a line on a Widder modified Marlin.  Oh, did I mention I picked up a Winchester 73 in .45 Colt today on the way to the farm?  I know it's not B Western but it's good for Wild Bunch. 

When I commit to a new hobby I really commit.

Sounds like a great approach & you should be truly happy with the rifle stable ....  :)  buy 'em all & sort it out on the range ! No way to lose this one.

Best as in most authentic or Best as in Best Shooter? Most Authentic would be the the 92, as said many times already, they were still in production at the time so most movie studios used them. The 92 is a Fine instrument of firepower. slick, light and handles a lot of power But finicky on OAL. Having grown up with a 92 in 38-40 (38WCF), I love them but the Marlin 94 might be a better shooter IF you don't reload. Reloading your own, to your rifles specs, IMHO, makes it the best. But that means you can only use your own ammo and take a chance buying a quick couple of boxes because you didn't have time to reload or forgot (Cant Happen) to bring ammo to a shoot. Mine (of Course I own one) is a Taylors Take-down 20" Short Rifle in 44-40 made by Armi. I played heck till I got an OAL down but now she feeds perfect and I wouldn't shoot anything but a 92 in B. 

I'd recommend shooting some of yer local pards' guns till you decide what you like best. 

92 !

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

How many National and World Championships have been won using a 92?

PS: Where is Barry County Conservation Club??

Who cares ?

How many B-Western movies have you seen with a Marlin ? ZERO !

Not everyone in the game is about speed ! 

Some are hear to shoot there guns and play the Cowboys they watched on TV there whole life !

Just Sayin

Rooster 

PS. West Michigan 

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Who cares ?

How many B-Western movies have you seen with a Marlin ? ZERO !

Not everyone in the game is about speed ! 

Some are hear to shoot there guns and play the Cowboys they watched on TV there whole life !

Just Sayin

Rooster 

PS. West Michigan 

Who cares?? Probably someone that wants to know what the best B-Western rifle is for CAS...

Didn't see that club listed in affiliated clubs section... Did I just miss it???

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

What, exactly, defines a B-Western movie? The time frame? Low budget? Spaghetti Western?

Here's a screen shot from "Broken Arrow" in 1950.

BrokenArrow.jpg

OMG!!!!

is that... nooooo!!!!

:o

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, Major J Hawk SASS#107720 said:

The B Western category appeals to me because I like old movies and if you're going to dress up like a pretend cowboy you might as well go all out.  Pistols I've got, shotgun I've got but I'm struggling with the rifle choice.  I've heard negative things about all the choices.  I want one that works.   Speed is of secondary importance.  Like Clint said, "a man's got to know his limitations".  

So let the opinions fly boys!

How's the weather there?

20 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

How many National and World Championships have been won using a 92?...

I suppose you are asking regarding B-Western.  For a number of years after all the top shooters had switched to '73's and Marlins, Navy Arms' website still had a section called "Guns of the Champions" with pictures of Island Girl, China Camp, and the like, with their '92's.  :)

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I suppose you are asking regarding B-Western.  For a number of years after all the top shooters had switched to '73's and Marlins, Navy Arms' website still had a section called "Guns of the Champions" with pictures of Island Girl, China Camp, and the like, with their '92's.  :)

Back in the day...when rifle splits weren't do-able in .15 seconds...

I think China Camp won all of his 5 straight overall World Championships using the 92.

But in todays world, in B-Western, good luck with a 92.

Phantom

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Back in the day...when rifle splits weren't do-able in .15 seconds...

I think China Camp won all of his 5 straight overall World Championships using the 92.

But in todays world, in B-Western, good luck with a 92.

Phantom

People used to hunt with rocks and clubs too. Most don’t anymore. Haha. 

4 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

How's the weather there?

Man it’s perfect!

A Marlin 94 in .38-40 ,,, or a Winchester 92 in .38 WCF.......

Yes both are in the very same caliber ,,,,,,, The slickest feeding Caliber ever for Cowboy Shooting ....

Jabez Cowboy

Gentlemen -

Please allow a Lady B-Western perspective.

I began my B-Western career in 2005 -- the first year we were official - with a fabulous Nate Kiowa Jones 92.  She was smooth (still is) and brought home 2 ladies state titles -- that's overall, not just Ladies B Western.  Never a hiccup or complaint unless it was operator error.

I was gifted a beautiful Marlin in 2008  "...a totally pimped out rifle for a Princess..."  which was built for me by Jimmy Spurs.   She runs smoother than fine satin and brought home another 2 state titles.   She has beautiful jeweling and has received many compliments at loading tables.  No hiccups and no complaints.

My preference is the Marlin only because she is so lovely to look at and meets the B Western costume requirement of Fancy and Flashy.

Either of the choices can be your personal best rifle but the success may be more in the skill of the shooter rather than the brand of rifle.  

For our costume category, I believe it is not how well you shoot but how good you look doing it!  :D 

6 hours ago, Birdie Cage, SASS #32773L said:

Gentlemen -

Please allow a Lady B-Western perspective.

I began my B-Western career in 2005 -- the first year we were official - with a fabulous Nate Kiowa Jones 92.  She was smooth (still is) and brought home 2 ladies state titles -- that's overall, not just Ladies B Western.  Never a hiccup or complaint unless it was operator error.

I was gifted a beautiful Marlin in 2008  "...a totally pimped out rifle for a Princess..."  which was built for me by Jimmy Spurs.   She runs smoother than fine satin and brought home another 2 state titles.   She has beautiful jeweling and has received many compliments at loading tables.  No hiccups and no complaints.

My preference is the Marlin only because she is so lovely to look at and meets the B Western costume requirement of Fancy and Flashy.

Either of the choices can be your personal best rifle but the success may be more in the skill of the shooter rather than the brand of rifle.  

For our costume category, I believe it is not how well you shoot but how good you look doing it!  :D 

Birdie, you and my wife would get along real well!

I searched a couple online databases for guns used in western movies, and didn't find a whole lot of Marlins, per Rooster Ron Wayne's comment. One more 1883, one 1894, a couple 1895's, and a couple 336's. :mellow:

By FAR, the most prevalent are Winchester M92's and M94's.

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I googled and couldn't find one B-Western movie that had them shooting steel targets while being timed...wearing eye protection...hmmmmm...

They also shoot blanks, and although I guess that would win some points for authenticity, it does make it hard to be competitive. 

Archived