SASS Wire Forum

Loading 44 Special cowboy - smokeless

Roscoe Regulator

I have a pair of Cimarron '72 Open Tops with 5 1/2" barrels in 44 Special.  Currently they are off with a gunsmith getting tuned up for better reliability. It's not that they have been unreliable in any way, shape or form but the Open Tops apparently need some tweaking before they are 100%. But back to your question... I have shot smokeless through them and although it's nice it's boring. I could not tell you what the ammo is because it's whatever 200 grain smokeless lead Georgia Arms loads. (Several years ago I got a price I could not resist otherwise I would be reloading... great ammo though!). But where these guns really shine is with a 200 grain bullet over real black powder. As far as I'm concerned, no funner pistol to shoot with black powder. :D

I just shot a 12 Stage match with these and my smile got bigger from stage 1 to Stage 12. Upon returning home I immediately loaded up 300 more rounds of black powder 44 special 200 grain ammo. I use Springfield Slim's Big Lube MAV Dutchman bullets. Work GREAT!!!

As far as using smokeless with self-defense or hunting I don't have much comment although I know the Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special was a very popular personal defense weapon for many years with many folks.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

6.0-6.5gn Unique(:lol:) with 200-250 gn lead bullet.

5.0-5.5gn WW231 with same bullet weight as for Unique.

Std LP primer and firm roll crimp

OLG

beat ya! lol

200 grain bullet using American Select with a charge weight from Alliant's online data.  I would use either Unique or W231 if I lacked American Select.

Not sure when we started to be  allowed to post loading data here  .

But I have loaded just about everything under the sun with Unique for years now.

As for your question ? 

I run 6.0 to 6.5 gr of unique under a 200gr bullet in rifle and pistols .

and a full load of APP FFF with a 1/8 of a compression under a 200gr bullet   for the smoky loads .

Your mileage may vary .

But this is what works for me. 

Rooster 

3 hours ago, Buckshot Dobbs said:

what bullet you using? with a 200gn hand cast I use OLG's load of 6 gn of Unique. Have for years.

BD

I have been using 7.5 gr Unique with Scarlett's 200 gr lead RNFP, so it looks like I should try that lighter load.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I use a 200 grain .430" RNFP over 4.3 grains of Trail Boss.

That is exactly one of the loads I have scheduled, a minimum load right out of Hodgdon data.

I have been using 44spl revolvers for years for SASS. I am using 44 Russian brass with 3.3 grains of Trail Boss with a 160grain bullet.

I am using Remington large pistol primers. Great for your revolver, never tried them in a rifle.

58 minutes ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I have been using 44spl revolvers for years for SASS. I am using 44 Russian brass with 3.3 grains of Trail Boss with a 160grain bullet.

I am using Remington large pistol primers. Great for your revolver, never tried them in a rifle.

Hey Dog, have you ever run Red Dot or TiTegroup in those Russians with that bullet?

I used 5.6 grs of Tite-Group in a .44-40 with a 200 grain bullet. It should work fine for a .44 spl. also.

When I dabbled in CAS several years ago, the .44 Special was my cartridge of choice, and it still is as I hunt almost exclusively with .44 Special revolvers.

I loaded the bullet pictured here. It's a 170 gr. RNFP I cast from an Accurate 43-165C mould.

MasonRichards3-red_zpsa052e7bd.jpg

I loaded 4.0 grs. of Red Dot and velocities were- 4 3/4" Uberti- 612 fps, 5 1/2" Cimarron P- 644 fps, 20" Cimarron Short Rifle- 838 fps.

I really like Red Dot in all my revolver cartridges because it's available everywhere, it gives very consistent velocities and great accuracy and it's a relatively inexpensive powder, and much less expensive than Trail Boss.

I have pages and pages of other data, but it's all for bullets ranging from 248 to 258 grs.

Good luck!

Cholla

Archived