SASS Wire Forum

38-40 load

Hawkeye Kid

Can't help you with a load for a 140 grain bullet.  That's not a standard size for the 38-40.  Sound's like you're trying to make an auto pistol bullet work in the 38 WCF.  If that's the case, I'd like to strongly caution you not to do so.  10mm (40 caliber) bullets have no cannelure, and will almost certainly collapse into the case when used in a tubular magazine.  There is little neck tension as it is in the 38 WCF.  So, making a good, roll crimp into a cannelure on the bullet is important for safety reasons.

Now, with standard, 180 grain, 38-40 bullets, the load I use is 5.5 grains of Trailboss.  This chronos around 1KFPS.  I use it in WB.  Might be a tad hot for Cowboy.  Never use it there, preferring 3f Shutzen.

I use 140 in my revolvers and 180 in my rifles. Currently use either Clyas for smokeless or APP for smokin loads. Not allowed to give out actual load information on the Wire.

Scout 

On 10/5/2018 at 10:17 AM, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

It is a rule somewhere that one may only load Goex in the 38/40.   Oh found it SHB14 page 13

I disagree. I load 38-40 with Schuetzen FFg.

5b032e5e47d96_Marlin189438WCFMay2018.jpg.ec417be271fac11fd9a261fd7263311f.jpg

I have an original Winchester 1873 in 38WCF.   And I brought this really ragged out early Marlin 1894 in 38WCF as a project gun.  I've got it stung out all over my work bench and other places.  I have been draw filing the barrel  but stopped to start making buttstocks.   I'm setting up a pattern stock and blank to carve out a new buttstock on my Dupli-Carver.   I say buttstocks because I have two blanks cut out and while I have a pattern stock set up, I may as well make two.  Same with the forend. 

I'm telling this because Sawmill Mary and I walked over a mega-flea market yesterday and a guy had a Marlin 1894 in 38WCF in real good condition considering its age.  He was asking $1,000 for it.  I'll have less than that in my project gun but hundreds or hours.  

I'm hoping I enjoy it when I get it done.

14 hours ago, KH24 said:

Scout. Rules have changed now allowed to post load information.  Which 140g bullets do you use?  

Yep Too Tall Bob sent me a PM with the quote that stated the change.

I'm using Badman Bullets 140 grain for revolvers and 180 grain for rifles.

Still looking for a load information (smokeless powder) on the 140 grain bullet.   I agree with Mr West's post on using a bullet without a cannelure  in a rifle with a tubular magazine.   Plan on using this as a pistol load.  My rifle load is either  4.5g Trailboss with a 180 grain bullet or 1.3CC 2F or 3F with filler and a 190 grain Big Lube bullet. 

For the light bullets, Link only shows loads for jacked bullets at the 150gr level and all are around 1000 fps.  Looking for a load that provides about 700 - 800 fps using  the lead 140gr bullet. Preferable using Trailboss or Clays.

Archived