SASS Wire Forum

Your favorite .38 special load for CAS.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

In celebration of load data being allowed on the wire again what is your favorite .38 Special load for our game. I'll start. 

2.9 grains of Titegroup with a 110gr. bullet loaded to 1.42 OAL and have used this load for the last 12 years and it has served me very very well. Have been loading Alliant Sport Pistol commercially and have been very happy with it and it reminds me a lot of VVN320. When I get through my last 8 pounder of Titegroup I will probably move to that. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much black powder as I can stuff under a 158GR lead head as I can stuff with out cracking the case.

158 grain bullet over Triple Seven FFg loaded to the base of the bullet.  For rifle a Desperado 158 grain bullet.  For revolver a soft 158 grain bullet from any caster will do.  Federal primers used if available.

The race is on to post as many loads for the 38 Spl than Baskin's & Robbins has ice cream flavors ... Go get em Cowboys

BTW - where are all the chronographs results? :blush:

3 gr. Clays, Fed GM200M, Cimarron coated 105, 125, 135 (slightly flattened nose), & 147.  Once seater is set for crimp to just barely roll into crimp groove of 105 at 1.465" OAL then seater is not changed for other bullets.  It equates to 125 OAL being slightly shorter at 1.455, 135  1.48", and 147   1.46" .  Crimp on 125 is just into crimp grrove as 105, 135 bits into bullet and 147 crimps is just at ogive.

I load same bullets for BP (Triple Seven FFg)...also Fed GM200M.

Also enjoyed many rounds with TG and VV320 in my early CAS years....and lots of CB Goex in BP with 145 gr SPG bullets...but  loads have changed thru the years, taking easier road now..

Thanks for reminder of velocities JB...Above loads running 630-730FPS with occasional single and low two digit SDs.  As expected heavier bullets ran best burn and pressure.

.38       2.7 Clays/Clay Dot. 105, 125, 147 bullets. all @ 1.510"

.32 H&R Mag      2.3/2.4 Clays/Clay Dot. 100gr  @1.390" ,   115gr   @1.325"

3.0 gr Trailboss and 125 gr coated TCBB, although I wasn't looking for the lightest load possible. The bulk (VMD) of Trailboss allows me to see the charge before placing a bullet for seating.

3.2 Bullseye 130 grn 

2.8 Clays with 125gn. TC bullet for Ellie, haven't chronoed. That's where she stopped having a lot of unburned powder.

Pistols:  3.0 gr. of Titegroup behind 105 gr. (with crimp groove) TC bullet, COL 1.445-1.450--red

Rifle: 3.0 gr. of Titegroup behind 120-125 gr. (with crimp groove) TC bullet, same COL--lead or black 

3 hours ago, John Boy said:

The race is on to post as many loads for the 38 Spl than Baskin's & Robbins has ice cream flavors ... Go get em Cowboys

BTW - where are all the chronographs results? :blush:

About 750fps out of my Vaquero's last I checked. Since you felt the need to ask. 

The 38 TB load is more toward the higher side but still more than a grain under max.  I did not chrono the load but most places indicates it is well under the 1000fps max.  The reason I use a bit higher is that is the same amount that goes into the 45acp with 230gr for wild bunch.  I use small primer 45acp and that means that I do not have to change powder drop or primer drop between the two, just dies, plate., and bullet feeder.  I figure anything makes less changes means less things to have go wrong. 

That is for my rifle anyway now as I have switched to single six 32s but that is a different matter.

For pistols 3.2 grains of Hercules Infallible, for rifle 3.9 grains of Hercules Infallible, both pushing a 158 grain LRNFP bullet.. This load cycles flawlessly through 10 different .38 Spls. By the way the last time Hercules Infallible was manufactured was in 1948, I picked up 7 pounds of it about 18 months ago and it works like a charm.

Archived