SASS Wire Forum

.44 WCF Smokeless

Tyrel Cody

Howdy

My pet load for 44-40 is 2.2CC (about 33.3 grains) Schuetzen FFg under a 200 grain Big Lube Mav-Dutchman bullet. Powder is compressed about 1/16" to 1/8" when bullet is seated. Any primer will do.

I have not loaded 44-40 with Smokeless for years, but when I did I used 7.5 grains of Unique under a hard cast 200 grain bullet.  Any primer.

I used to use Winchester brass, but that is sometimes hard to come by, so these days I use Starline brass.

I personally use 8.0gr of UNIVERSAL over a 213.5gr commercially cast bullet for about 950 ft/sec from my 7-1/2" barreled Ruger OM Vaqueros WITH TIGHT THROATS!  This same load produces about 1210 ft/sec in a 24" Navy Arms M1860 Henry or 1153 ft/sec in a Rossi M92 with 20" bbl.  For Colt's SAA-type pistols I'd probably cut the charge back to 7.5gr, which is what Hodgdon's recommends as a maximum load.  I use Winchester brass and Winchester Large Pistol primers.  I have also used W231/HP38 and 8.0 gr of Unique.

(I cannot accept responsibility for the use of the above data in guns other than my own!  This data is posted only for the general information of people on the Forum.)

Please refer to pages 208 & 268 of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition.  See Bold text on pg 268... 

I use 5.3 gr. of Alliant Promo over a 200 gr. bullet sized to .428 in my 44-40.

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I have used a number of powders for the .44.   Right now, Hodgdon's Titegroup at 5.2 grs.  That's on the low side, but works well for me with 5 1/2"  barreled USFA's.  

That's about what I used, it was 5.6 Tite-Group under a 200 gr bullet

You can load just about anything with Unique .

It is the Black Powder of the Smokeless world .

Unique does everything. 

And Nothing Spectacular. 

I load Unique fro 3.0gr to 28gr for 

380  to 454 and 223 to 45/70  and from 410 to 12ga .

She is Not great at everything. 

But She will do about anything. 

Rooster 

5 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

6.0 grns of Trail Boss under a 200grn .428 bullet

I have shot this recipe, in fact his exact ammo. I find it to be perfect for what we do out of a 20 inch barrel. Major's recipe for black powder however is 10 times as fun and spits fire and smoke everywhere. :D FFFg, I believe under 200 grain lead?

14 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I have shot this recipe, in fact his exact ammo. I find it to be perfect for what we do out of a 20 inch barrel. Major's recipe for black powder however is 10 times as fun and spits fire and smoke everywhere. :D FFFg, I believe under 200 grain lead?

2.2cc lee Dipper of 3F BP under a 200grn. Big lube Mav-Dutchman bullet

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

5 grains of Red Dot under a 200 grain hard cast RNFP.

Same here.

8 gr Unique works for for .44 wcf, .38 wcf and .45 Colt and roughly duplicates BP velocities.

:ph34r:

Don't tell anyone I shoot smokeless though.  I got a reputation to maintain.

48 minutes ago, The Coconino Pistolero, SASS # 72432 said:

8 gr Unique works for for .44 wcf, .38 wcf and .45 Colt and roughly duplicates BP velocities.

Howdy

You need to state a bullet weight to go along with that information.

I don't shoot 44-40 for SASS but I settled on the 6.0gr of ETR7 for my 1881 JM Marlin Ballard. I can consistently hit the steel Pigs at 300 meters with the load and a clean burn

Somebody better inform The Coconino Pistolero that his 8.0gr of Unique exceeds the SASS pistol velocity of 1000 fps

because 7.5gr of Unique chronographs 1125 fps with the standard 44-40 caliber 218gr bullet

SASS Maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000fps Maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400fp

6 hours ago, John Boy said:

I don't shoot 44-40 for SASS but I settled on the 6.0gr of ETR7 for my 1881 JM Marlin Ballard. I can consistently hit the steel Pigs at 300 meters with the load and a clean burn

What's the bullet weight?

OLG

Does that chart show revolver or rifle data?

As I said... I don't shoot 44-40 for SASS but I settled on the 6.0gr of ETR7 for my 1881 JM Marlin Ballard - rifle only.

On October 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

5 grains of Red Dot under a 200 grain hard cast RNFP.

I have shot this load but prefer a little more umph, so I load 5.4 grains of Red Dot and a 200 grainer.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:37 PM, The Coconino Pistolero, SASS # 72432 said:

:ph34r:

Don't tell anyone I shoot smokeless though.  I got a reputation to maintain.

Hah! Your reputation has been in the crapper for far too long already! 

On Thursday, October 04, 2018 at 9:37 PM, John Boy said:

Somebody better inform The Coconino Pistolero that his 8.0gr of Unique exceeds the SASS pistol velocity of 1000 fps

because 7.5gr of Unique chronographs 1125 fps with the standard 44-40 caliber 218gr bullet

SASS Maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000fps Maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400fp

Didn't you say your data was from a rifle?

3 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Didn't you say your data was from a rifle?

I should have clearly specified rifle. Don't have a pistol in that caliber.

The idea was to have a full case of BP(1165 fps) and 8 gr Unique (1180 fps) about the same velocity with  205 gr pill.

Archived