SASS Wire Forum

If I knew then what I know now.

July Smith

If you could or had to acquire guns and gear all over for SASS knowing what you know now what would you do differently? 

I'm still new to SASS so still learning all that I don't know but for me I sure would not have bought so many guns in 45colt.  Sure maybe one or two 45s just to have a 45, but I seem to have ended up with a glut of 45s only to end up loving 44s and 38s.  Second I think I would have avoided the Rossi 92, sure they can be slicked up and made to work right but in the end, I think the money would have been better spent towards a Uberti 73 or Browing 92.  Third I would have gotten into this understanding not to cheap out on gun leather.

I ordered my Vaqueros before joining SASS. I had read and watched many videos on the topic so I just knew I had to have .38/.357. After my first or second match, I realized I wanted to shoot Classic Cowboy. In the meantime, my wife took a liking to CAS and decided that she liked my .38/.357 gear, so I had to buy more guns, and I still don't know exactly what I want. I think I would like the Ruger Bisley or another set of the SASS Vaqueros in .45 Colt.

At first I thought this was about dating....In high school...Knew then, what we know today...We would all be in jail...Or just finishing our time...Sure glad I was a slow learner...

Texas Lizard

And I still prefer anything that start with a 4...

I would have stuck with .38's like I started with! I went to .45's then .44-40 with black powder and now back home to .38's!!

I love my 45 colts. I have 7 handguns and 3 rifles in that caliber. Started with 38/357 and I have kept those handguns and rifles. Probably will end up back there once day. I love playing Classic Cowboy so for now it is 45s for me.

I wouldn’t have bought a Beretta Gold Rush Rifle, what a piece of junk. I wouldn’t have bought Ruger Birdshead Vaqueros, they don’t fit my hands. I probably wouldn’t have bought a 16 gauge 1897 as my first CAS SG, I would have went with 12 gauge instead but 16 gauge was my preferred gauge when I was younger now days ammo is a lot harder to come by for it. 

I never bought a slew of guns for CAS. Too many other expenses and hobbies. But, I would have stayed with .38’s. I wouldn’t have bought guns to shoot BP only to find my respiratory system would be affected. I wouldn’t have bought a couple side match guns as I never got to shoot any of the side matches and I would have kept a couple of the guns I sold and sold a couple that I kept. 

Don't recall the name, but I woulda bought some of those Uberti .45 SAA models that Cabela's was selling 'way back when for something like two hundred bucks.  

Plain, sorta matte finish, think mebbe a brass trigger guard and simple (one piece?) grips.

My tastes are simple.  

Image result for low-end saa revolvers sold by cabelas

4 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

At first I thought this was about dating....In high school...Knew then, what we know today...We would all be in jail...Or just finishing our time...Sure glad I was a slow learner...

Texas Lizard

And I still prefer anything that start with a 4...

Or a 3, followed by 8-40. ;)

I probably would have kept several 2nd gen Colts that I sold for $300 - $400. Of course, that's what they were bringing in the early 80's, but still...

As much as I hate to say it, if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have gotten started.

When I started gravitating toward CAS, it was in large part because I wanted to be involved in a shooting sport other than trap after my father-in-law passed. Being a history buff, and growing up reading Louis L'Amour westerns, and hearing about and seeing CAS, it seemed like a great idea. Clearly, though CAS now isn't what it was way back when. It has evolved. Now, that isn't a complaint. I don't "yearn for the good old days," because I never really experienced them. And I do understand that things evolve, respond to what people want or they fade away. By the time I started shooting, it was about short-stroked rifles, lowered hammers, and not doing those things that made it, well, different. Among those I asked, when concerned about cost, there was the "buy once, cry once" attitude among many, instead of saying buy what you can afford, even if it is a '92, etc...  However, even with all of that, I likely would have joined and given it a go.

Looking back since then, though. Needing to sell my original Uberti Cattlemen and rifle because of money issues. Finding other guns that I felt, and feel, fortunate to get my hands on. Having had seemingly endless bad luck with one problem after another. For the past few years, my goal each year has been to make it to more than the State Match. Each year, something, whether gun problems, work, lack of work, or something else, have conspired to keep that from happening.

Overall, it has been an exercise in disappointment and frustration, that if I knew about going in, I would have probably not done. I would have missed meeting some absolutely amazing people in the process, which would have been unfortunate.

I wasn’t going to add this but I will anyway. 

If I had known (left for 10 years) that the game had become all about close targets, speed and a fascination with sweeps to keep the game interesting I probably wouldn’t have come back.

CAS today is not the CAS that attracted me in the first place.

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

By the time I started shooting, it was about short-stroked rifles, lowered hammers, and not doing those things that made it, well, different.

Do short strokes and lower hammers really make that big a difference?  I mean sure the short strokes, etc make a difference, but we are talking about a few seconds, not a 60sec stage dropping to 16sec just because of a difference in equipment.  I am under the impression that if everyone shot the exact same equipment the times might be a little slower, but the order everyone placed in would still be the same.  

Here's where I (SASS# 103314) stand as a relative newbie like July Smith (SASS# 104514).

Visiting the Lake County Pistoleros for the first time, and watching them shoot, I was hooked on wanting to shoot CAS.

When it came time to equipment myself for the journey, getting in with the least amount of cost was a task in itself.

Researching the Internet to learn as much as I could and seeing slicked up firearms I wanted to have yet going for prices I didn't want to spend.

I found that .38/.357 was the way to go as the ammo is more affordable; however, more difficult to find lead. FMJ is the norm in gun shops.

I went with the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme as the most affordable SxS shotgun and have appreciated its performance.

I also went with the Gold Standard New Model Ruger Vaqueros and I feel powerful every time I handle them.

And I went with the Henry Big Boy Silver for their reputation (Made in the U.S.A.), service and my efforts to obtain it.

As to leather, I actually spent more money on my gun belt and holsters than I did for my Stoeger.

And lastly, the gun cart I use cost me $10 at a swap meet.

My belief is that everyone starts out with the bare bones in any endeavor and as they learn from their experiences and gain the knowledge to make future decisions. CAS is no different.

I feel comfortable that if I never progress past my current performance, I can still enjoy the firearms I have in my possession.

If on the other hand, I find I can outshoot them, at that time, I will research and upgrade whatever equipment is necessary.

Getting in the game is the PRIORITY, and I have accomplished that.

Since starting CAS my only downfall is attending matches and practicing at the range.

My schedule for the past year, with several deaths in mine and my wife's family have taken their toll, but things are starting to get back on schedule and hopefully soon, I'll have the time to start shooting again.

Plans for the future?

I want to build my own gun cart.

I want to start reloading my own ammo.

Seems like a doable plan to me.

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Do short strokes and lower hammers really make that big a difference?  I mean sure the short strokes, etc make a difference, but we are talking about a few seconds, not a 60sec stage dropping to 16sec just because of a difference in equipment.  I am under the impression that if everyone shot the exact same equipment the times might be a little slower, but the order everyone placed in would still be the same.  

With all due respect, it appears you've sort of missed the forest for the trees. I merely mentioned those as an example of where the focus of CAS had shifted by the time I joined. Perhaps Pat Riot put it better in saying "the game had become all about close targets, speed and a fascination with sweeps..."

When you say "I am under the impression that if everyone shot the exact same equipment the times might be a little slower, but the order everyone placed in would still be the same," it begs the question that everyone isn't shooting the same equipment. Sure, the top shooters would be the top shooters regardless. Of that I am confident. There might be some jockeying of positions below those ranks, though. Again, that isn't a complaint, it is an observation. Yes, there are those who still suggest I invest in a stroked '73 and a pair of revolvers with lowered hammers, either of which would more than double the amount I have in my current rifle or revolvers, but they also acknowledge I can have plenty of fun with what I run.

The point of my post wasn't to complain about or disparage the use of stroked rifles and the like. It was to explain a number of reasons why I likely wouldn't have joined. You, like others, seem to be defensive about that one, and I don't understand why.

I have been doing this for almost 20 years, and  I wouldn't change a dang thing. I started out with different guns than I have now, but so what? I learned along the way, tried different things, like Blackpowder, and now I am shooting with both my kids and my wife.  And have a lot more shooter friends now than if I hadn't joined SASS. And a reason to shoot at least once a month. OK, Classic Cowboy SHOULD have been BP only, but other than that, I'm good :)

If I knew then what I know now...

I would have started with 38's rather than 45's - I had been shooting handgun silhouette with full power 44 magnum loads being the norm to knock down the rams but after just a few matches with nearly full power 45's my wrists told me "no way" and I bought my first 357's. I shoot moderate loads in them -125 grain lead at about 800 fps for the last 10 years.

Should have listened when I was told to buy once - cry once and gotten my SKB's much earlier. I have used (and broken) 3 double trigger stoeger SxS's and just never got used to their  single trigger version before I realized that a quality shotgun was a better choice for my style

I bought (and sold) a marlin cowboy comp in 45 (wish I still had it) and a pair of cowboy comps in 38. Should have started with the '73's as they fit me and my style much better and would have saved money getting what was right for me initially.

Wish I would have listened when someone told me once you get guns that fit, hold off buying the next one and use those funds on extra ammo to practice with - a much better use of your money:)

Never really saw the change to ultra close range targets around here. When I started targets were generally 16x16 with a 12 inch circle occasionally (they still are) the rifle were about 16-18 yards, pistols about 8-9 yards and shotgun about 8-9 yards. now the rifle tend to be about 14 or so yards, pistols 8 and shotgun about 9. (although now you hardly ever see a swinger on the shotgun, almost always KD) I do miss the stories and the occasional carry the gold thing:P but do not miss getting out of the bath tub or shooting from inside a small confined stage coach.

I currently shoot tuned and short stroked '73's (done by me), pistols have lighter springs and I have polished the internals (with lots of rounds downrange to smooth them up) and SKB's tuned up and shortened by Johnny Meadows (that I love). I do not feel the guns make that big a difference except among my peer group, what it really comes down to is I prefer smooth reliable guns that I don't have to fight to get through a match and that is what I would recommend to newer shooters.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

still shooting same Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt and happy as a clam with them (can clams be truly happy?)

started with Marlin, 45 Colt, still with Marlin, 45 Colt (barrel length did go from 24 to 20 inches to help out twice repaired rotator cuff surgery on shoulder.)

Do own casting bullets, reloadig shotshells and 45 Colt ammo (45 Colt ammo for 6¢ a round this way.)  Casting/reloading has become a second hobby and an enjoyable one

SASS has changed but I still get to be 11 again and play cowboys and Indians every time I shoot so I'm a happy camper--don't care if others have short strokes  or where the targets are, just that I'm shooting and having fun)

I use the same guns I used in my very first SASS match.   All in .45 Colt...except for my 12-gauge shotgun.  Same gun cart too.  Started duelist, always shot duelist, still duelist.

;)  And, I still say there should be a SASS approved Baptist Category!  ^_^

By golly!!

• 2 months later...

I would not change much of anything. I still have mismatched pistols, an EAA Bounty Hunter and a Uberti Hombre, both in 45C.  The Uberti 1866 45C rifle I got NIB for $700 at a gun show from a man who meant to start CAS but never did. My shotgun is a Chinese knock-off that I didn't even need to polish the chambers. My gear is all homemade (and it shows!). My first cart was a 2-bottle welding cart.

I have found over the years that I am a horrendous "shortened form of Richard" as a competitor so I chose Classic Cowboy so I wouldn't be in a position to be the BEST of anything. Duelist for me is an exercise in molasses.

After the past four years I have found that I do not actually enjoy the shooting all that much. Now, do not mistake me, I do enjoy shooting and competing, but it isn't really my MAIN reason for coming to the matches. I have more fun running from posse to posse watching everyone and spending time with friends. I spend most all of my time as the scorekeeper/posse builder, our scoring is still done on pen and paper for the moment. I do all the data entry of the scores into the computer. I am RO I and II qualified, but I have yet to pick up a timer myself. I go to our posse meetings to help hammer out the match for the month and whatever club business needs doing.

I actually did come for the shooting, and I stay for the people.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:18 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wasn’t going to add this but I will anyway. 

If I had known (left for 10 years) that the game had become all about close targets, speed and a fascination with sweeps to keep the game interesting I probably wouldn’t have come back.

CAS today is not the CAS that attracted me in the first place.

It has become IPSIC in cowboy boots.  Starting this season, I will be shooting the pistols at the rifle targets just to add some skill to the shoot. I like to shoot targets that I have to aim at.  I can spit and hit the pistol targets they are so close.  Due to bursitis in my right shoulder, I will be shooting the shotgun from the hip.  I'm there for cowboy fun, not points.  And I never shoot two handed with the pistols, It just ain't John Wayne.

I’m kinda with Doc Ward.  

I dont regret starting in the game.  I still have most of my original CAS guns.  (Except for the Winchester 94 in 44 mag that I sold after it broke.  No loss there.)

Had a lot of good times for many years with a lot of great people.

I still like the Saloon for the people.  

As for shooting...  Let’s just say that a lot of the magic is gone for me. I go every so often, but it’s different now.  Some folks like it.  Some lament the change.  There just seems to be a lot of things I’d rather do with my time and energy these days.

I would have stayed with what I originally started with and saved alot of money (even though I got most of it back from buying selling)

.38's Uberti's and or Colts , a 73 and a 66 and a Stoeger sg!

I knew nothing about lever action rifles.  The gun dealer/cowboy shooter who got me in the game had a stainless 92 clone and Marlin Competition .38 sitting on his table at a local gun show for almost the same price.  I picked up the Marlin, but he talked me into the 92.  We're still friends, but I later dumped that 92 in favor of Cody 73.  I asked him years later why he talked me out of that Marlin Competition.  His response was that he thought that the color case hardening was ugly on the Marlin receiver.  No offence to you 92 guys, but I never liked that gun.  He also insulted my "manhood" for buying .357 Ruger Bisleys.  He said that real men shot .45 LC.  That was all fine and well, but I already had a couple of thousand .38 and .357 brass and dies.  After buying all the guns and other accessories, I could not afford a different caliber at the time.  I have a few pair of .45s today, but I shoot .38s for the most part. 

My only other "do-over" is what someone has already mentioned.  Cheap soft and flat holsters caused me great heartache.  The only silver lining is that the quest for better leather led me back to leather work that I hadn't done since the 1970s.  

I would have joined SASS five years sooner than I did. I wouldn't have bought a 92. I also bought a 94 Winchester in .44 Mag that SUCKS for CAS but what a great gun for deer. 

I just wish I would have known about this when my Pa was still alive. He would have loved all this.  

If I had a time machine...I'd go back to when I was younger! No, I wouldn't change much, other than trying to find a hammer double shotgun with 28" barrels, other than the beautiful Belgian double I retired because I was beating the dog out of the stock and bluing finish!  Don't shoot as much as I used to, as I seem to have scheduling conflicts on the Sundays when my club shoots. (The other club I started with had to move, and is too far away, now! :(  I am still keeping my Navy Arms M1860 Henry, although the weight of the muzzle is such that I have basically switched to the much lighter Rossi's (one in .44-40, one in .44 Mangle-em, depending on which cylinders I stick in my Ruger OM Vaqueros, and which ammo I have loaded). 

I would have bought my Open-Tops earlier .... And I should have Bought a Pair of SAA in .38-40 years ago ...

I still like my .45 Cattlemen just fine and shot them indoors last week ...

I wouldn't have bought a Ruger NMV ,,, I like Ruger as a Company and have plenty of their Rifles for other uses , but I don't like the NMV .....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived