SASS Wire Forum

DIY plate rack

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Our club is small and on a tight budget. I found this Spartan Armor Systems DIY plate rack and tried it.  While I'm no welder by any stretch of the imagination I managed to stick it together.Mr. Terry, my high school shop teacher would probably whack me with his razor strap for such crappy looking welds. Under $350 for the kit and about $75 in steel and I was good to go. The only downside so far is it isn't adjustable for light loads, but if that's an issue it looks like I can drill some holes and put bolts in to make it adjustable. Lots of welding, I probably have 10 hours welding time. The instructions say you "might " need to add weight to the legs and I welded some 1" tubing to the legs to spike it down.

plate rack2.JPG

plate rack1.JPG

What grade of steel In targets and front plate?   Size of plates?  What came with the kit and what didn't?  

https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/diy-ar500-plate-rack/

I think I found the answers to my questions on their website.  Looks like you supply the legs and horizontal stock. 

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

What grade of steel In targets and front plate?   Size of plates?  What came with the kit and what didn't?  

https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/diy-ar500-plate-rack/

I think I found the answers to my questions on their website.  Looks like you supply the legs and horizontal stock. 

Plates are 8" AR500, you can order it with 6" plates if you want,  you need to supply the steel for the legs, large angle for the plate brackets, round stock for the mechanism to reset the plates and  flat stock for the deflector piece in front of the plates. 

Archived