SASS Wire Forum

40 Rod, Better Batten Down and Rig For Weather

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/rosa-to-impact-northwest-mexico-before-soaking-us-desert-southwest/70006187

AccuWeather is projecting a general 1-3 inches of rain to fall on low-elevation, desert locations in the direct path of the storm. However, 3-6 inches of rain may fall on the mountains in Arizona with an AccuWeather Local StormMax™ of 8 inches.

"While this rain may seem trivial compared to the rainfall that has been frequenting the humid regions of the Eastern U.S. since the middle of the summer, this type of rainfall is close to the amount of rain some of the desert areas receive on average for the entire year," according to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski.

For example, Yuma, Arizona, receives 3.30 inches of rain on average each year.

"In some cases of this desert terrain, 1-3 inches of rain may be the equivalent of 1-3 feet of rain from a single storm in the East."

Soils in the East tend to absorb much more rainfall when compared to the Southwest, which is rocky and hard-packed. Rugged terrain in the region creates perfect conditions for rapid runoff from a mere single thunderstorm, let alone a tropical storm.

Arroyos, low-lying roads and narrow canyons can flood quickly in periods of heavy rain. Anyone planning to travel through these areas early next week should remain vigilant of the flood risk and plan accordingly. This includes sections of popular National Parks such as Zion and Arches in southern Utah.

Where and when possible, travel should be restricted to major highways.

Hiking is extremely dangerous in this situation and is not advised, especially in and around slot canyons.

Enough rain will fall to cause river flooding, but it is flash flooding and debris flows that pose the greatest risk to lives and property in this case. This rainfall event will create rivers where the ground is currently dry. There is a heightened risk for roads to be washed out or severely damaged in this situation.

Flooding SW 9.29 AM

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wonder if 4TRod can float......:P

OLG

Darn right.  Jittery Jim and Deja gave me a beautiful cast iron inner tube.  Might be a few days before I see them again.  Got a sixty foot deep arroyo betwixt us and I'm too lazy to drive around.

Of course we not get much rain at all.  The various prognosticators are only right about one time out of twenty and close another two times.

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I might be mistaken but I believe Marines can tread water.

Most I have seen, can walk on water......^_^

I say that, as the father of a former Marine. :FlagAm:

OLG

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Darn right.  Jittery Jim and Deja gave me a beautiful cast iron inner tube.  Might be a few days before I see them again.  Got a sixty foot deep arroyo betwixt us and I'm too lazy to drive around.

Of course we not get much rain at all.  The various prognosticators are only right about one time out of twenty and close another two times.

The weather-guessers 'round these parts ain't got no winders in their offices, LOL. Just checked NOAA's weather satellite GOES. Looks like the outer bands are just hitting Baja. Filtered for moisture there appears to be some rain mebbe just hitting SE AZ. Looks like the bulk of the storm will go west of the metro area where I'm at in Glendale but I gotta be in Buckeye tomorrow. Taking the big truck LOL. I got me some friends north of ya in Chino and looks like y'all will get more rain than us.

Here in the Tucson area, heavy rains with some lightning last night and this morning lasting to mid-afternoon.   Kept loosing our Direct TV signal during the baseball games.  Expecting more rain tomorrow.

On 9/30/2018 at 11:12 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Most I have seen, can walk on water......^_^

I say that, as the father of a former Marine. :FlagAm:

OLG

What is this thing called a "former marine"?

Archived